FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:06 am

help the new guy?

<<

phildirt

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:04 am

help the new guy?

Ok, to keep it simple, bottom bar lights come on on Carver M1.5, but doesnt seem to be powering Sunfire Grand theatre????????
This amp has no switches or controls(my first seperate, can you tell?)
Of course my Minty refurbished Marantz CD4001 chANGER, WELL THE DRAWER WONT OPEN, iM OFF TO A GREAT START
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:37 am

Re: help the new guy?

I'm a little lost; the amp doesn't power the preamp...it's the other way around. Are you saying you're not getting any reaction from the amp when you turn up the Theater Grand processor? What output are you using from the TG? RCAs to the M1.5t?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:00 am

Post a picture of the rear of the amp/pre so we can see how you got it hooked up.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

phildirt

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:28 pm

yes, rca connections, (decent) monster cable heavy gold ones
yes both Theatre grand and Carver M1.5 both light up fine, but dont seem to push any sound out, tried different modes, radio, am and fm, cd player, i got nuthin ! even tried other speakers,tho i know theres nothing wrong with the first set

ok, will snap some pics of back of panel connections tonight and hopefully be able to figure out posting them here, or at least a link to a pic site im familiar with....

thanks for the replys so far !

also, can i use more then 1 set of speakers with this Carver 2 channel amp, and can I use 4 mains?

was suggested to me that the JBL 240TI's and the Bose 601 Series three just might create a great "wall of sound" used together?
opinions appreciated-

Excited to get this thing up and running, in fact i went and bought about 50 new cds, but wont take the cellophane of them till i have it all working !!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:05 pm

I would connect the JBLs & put the Bose on ebay, to pay for the upgrades you will be wanting in a few weeks~
:lol:
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:24 pm

I know this sounds stupid, but check the mute on the pre. :-s
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:32 pm

Hello and welcome to the Carver forum. First off, the best advice I can give you right now is that you do not want to run 4 speakers for mains. You can't do it with the M1.5t [without Jerry-rigging it] anyway, so with that, you are headed in the right direction. One set of mains. I just so happen to agree with the Rabbit in that the Bose needs to go, I also would advise to keep the JBL for your mains.

It seems you have much to learn and everyone here at the Carver forum will help guide you in the right direction to enjoy the most that your Carver/Sunfire gear has to offer. My third bit of advice would be to take some of the money from the sale of the Bose and upgrade your RCA cables. Many folks on the mainstream consider Monster a top company when it comes to interconnects. The cold, hard truth is that they are at the bottom of the audio chain.

This does not mean that you need to spend two weeks salary to get a good RCA cable. Many very nice sounding, shielded and/or locking cables can be had for probably less than what you paid for your Monsters.

As far as the M1.5t goes, if the bottom LED's are on, then we know she powers up. Unless you like it real loud, this will be all you see. They only start to bounce up and down when you are pushing it to the extremes. The fact that they are on does not necessarily mean the unit is working but don't worry quite yet. Go ahead and provide the photos and let's do some troubleshooting to see if it isn't just an incorrect connection.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:07 pm

Do ya see why I like CarverAudio.com so much?? Almost everyone here is more than willing to give great advice when needed. =D>
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:38 pm

I agree with treitz3 concerning the Monster cables. There are several members here that will not purchase Monster cables, not just because they are low end, because Monster is a corporate bully [-X . Here is a link to an old post if your interested in reading, this really pissed people off including myself, and I will never buy Monster again. >

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6675&p=71420&hilit=fuck+monster#p71420

Everyone has there preference on cables, but I have had good luck with KimberKable Hero interconnects and speaker wire (4TC newer version white and clear). The Hero interconnects come with locking RCA's. Good luck!
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:27 pm

Let's stay on track to help this guy :rolleyes:
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:14 pm

phildirt wrote:yes, rca connections, (decent) monster cable heavy gold ones

There is no such thing as decent Monster Cable...
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

phildirt

Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:01 am

Yes I checked the mute button .

I knew i would catch flack for saying i had decent monster cables here, but i was trying to say i had something better then comes with generic electronics, these should at least get me going

I guess i cant even try 4 speakers together with this setup anyway, anyone need some bose 601 s?
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:31 am

BillD wrote:Let's stay on track to help this guy :rolleyes:

Stay on track? :lol: On this forum? :lol: I'm surprised no one has posted a naked picture of some HOT babe with duck tape on her month saying; Have you checked the mute button? This is my mute button! :lol:
I don't think I have ever seen a topic here NOT go off topic! :lol: OK, sorry bout that, ok guys listen to BillD and let't try to stay on topic! :rolleyes:
What was the topic again? ](*,)
<<

phildirt

Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:42 am

OOPSIE

Fellas, I appreciate greatly the way you all jumped on board to help me, really!
I unplugged and plugged everything back in[b] BINGO[b]
Suddenly I need the 1988 JBL 240Ti woofers refoamed, BUT IM SMILING ! Was fun while it lasted, What a ride, cant wait to get back on track, better speaker cables, and Interconnects, damn, I think Im hooked !
oh yah, more Amps too !
THANKS AGAIN, iLL BE BACK !
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:51 am

treitz3 wrote:Hello and welcome to the Carver forum. First off, the best advice I can give you right now is that you do not want to run 4 speakers for mains. You can't do it with the M1.5t [without Jerry-rigging it] anyway, so with that, you are headed in the right direction. One set of mains. I just so happen to agree with the Rabbit in that the Bose needs to go, I also would advise to keep the JBL for your mains.

It seems you have much to learn and everyone here at the Carver forum will help guide you in the right direction to enjoy the most that your Carver/Sunfire gear has to offer. My third bit of advice would be to take some of the money from the sale of the Bose and upgrade your RCA cables. Many folks on the mainstream consider Monster a top company when it comes to interconnects. The cold, hard truth is that they are at the bottom of the audio chain.

This does not mean that you need to spend two weeks salary to get a good RCA cable. Many very nice sounding, shielded and/or locking cables can be had for probably less than what you paid for your Monsters.

As far as the M1.5t goes, if the bottom LED's are on, then we know she powers up. Unless you like it real loud, this will be all you see. They only start to bounce up and down when you are pushing it to the extremes. The fact that they are on does not necessarily mean the unit is working but don't worry quite yet. Go ahead and provide the photos and let's do some troubleshooting to see if it isn't just an incorrect connection.

I did not know Jerry rigged his gear like that 8-[

just kidding-sorry for the derail
good luck-hope you get it playing the way you want.

Return to List / Update Your System