FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:32 am

Pictures of My Current System, Still a Work In Progress.....

<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Pictures of My Current System, Still a Work In Progress.

He has OCCD bad! :lol:
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

Terry F.

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Again, thanks guys, for the comments. OCCD, me? Oh yeah, I have it bad. :) Fortunately, my thin wallet and the normal family needs help keep it in check. The only thing that might tempt me now would be a TFM-75 and I am considering a couple Sunfire subs. I am trying hard to keep these primial urges in check but I know that resistance is futile. :lol:

Best regards,
Terry
(2) Silver 9t, TFM-55, TFM-35,
Original ALS, AL-III,
Sunfire TG5,
Sony 300 disc changer (yes, I am lazy), Blue-Ray player.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:08 pm

Terry F. wrote:Again, thanks guys, for the comments. OCCD, me? Oh yeah, I have it bad. :) Fortunately, my thin wallet and the normal family needs help keep it in check. The only thing that might tempt me now would be a TFM-75 and I am considering a couple Sunfire subs. I am trying hard to keep these primial urges in check but I know that resistance is futile. :lol:

Best regards,
Terry

Kingman has a TFM-75 he might want to sell you! :-k
<<

Terry F.

Post Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Don wrote:
Terry F. wrote:Again, thanks guys, for the comments. OCCD, me? Oh yeah, I have it bad. :) Fortunately, my thin wallet and the normal family needs help keep it in check. The only thing that might tempt me now would be a TFM-75 and I am considering a couple Sunfire subs. I am trying hard to keep these primial urges in check but I know that resistance is futile. :lol:

Best regards,
Terry

Thanks, Don. You're not helping, you know. :lol:
Original ALS, AL-III,
Sunfire TG5,
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Terry,

You have a very visually attractive system, that's for sure. But I'm curious how you are taming that live room? The tile floors have got to be reflecting like mad.
<<

Terry F.

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:34 pm

weitrhino wrote:Terry,

You have a very visually attractive system, that's for sure. But I'm curious how you are taming that live room? The tile floors have got to be reflecting like mad.

weitrhino,

I aim to add a throw rug in the center and get some much-needed art on the walls. Perhaps I'm used to live rooms as our previous home was tile, as well. Kinda' common here in southern Florida. Since we have cats and my daughter has cat allergies, we try to avoid carpet.

Also, the house is an open plan so that room is missing one wall. I am not sure how that affects room acoustics, I'm all ears if someone could advise.

Best,
Terry
Original ALS, AL-III,
Sunfire TG5,
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Terry F. wrote:

weitrhino,

I aim to add a throw rug in the center and get some much-needed art on the walls. Perhaps I'm used to live rooms as our previous home was tile, as well. Kinda' common here in southern Florida. Since we have cats and my daughter has cat allergies, we try to avoid carpet.

Also, the house is an open plan so that room is missing one wall. I am not sure how that affects room acoustics, I'm all ears if someone could advise.

Terry,

Free room analysis: http://www.auralex.com/pcf/

No affliation- This is a definite starting point to get ideas.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:31 pm

Don wrote:

Best regards,
Terry

Don...you crack me up!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Oh...gotta go...Matt just called...
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:34 pm

kingman wrote:
Don wrote:

Best regards,
Terry

Don...you crack me up!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Oh...gotta go...Matt just called...

:lol:
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:18 am

Terry F. wrote:

weitrhino,

Best,
Terry

Terry, It's hard to get depth cues from the first pic, but I would get your Originals at least 3 feet out from the rear wall, more if you can, and a minimum of 2.5 feet from the side walls. Do not make side and rear walls equidistant from the baffle. The distance will help broaden and deepen the soundstage while the ribbons will still give pinpoint instrument placement. You can either absorb or diffuse reflections and there's an entire industry and science behind it, but start by balancing the speakers, they look a little off unless you don't have a centered listening spot. If you're a near-field listener then in the most general sense you want the speaker end of the room to be dead but more live behind the listener, within reason of course. Sound traps can probably be avoided if you can fill the room with the stuff of life, ie. couches, curtains, area rugs, etc. If you're a far-field listener, you'll want to absorb reflections from the rear wall to avoid boominess. Experiment with it. You can likely make big improvements without spending a cent.
<<

Terry F.

Post Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:57 pm

weitrhino,

Thanks for that advice. I will experiment this weekend. I have the room to pull them out three feet although I wouldn't want to go much further. How will the lack of a side wall affect the right side speaker?

Thanks,
Terry
Original ALS, AL-III,
Sunfire TG5,
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Terry F. wrote:weitrhino,

Thanks for that advice. I will experiment this weekend. I have the room to pull them out three feet although I wouldn't want to go much further. How will the lack of a side wall affect the right side speaker?

Thanks,
Terry

Lack of a side wall will affect imaging & is especially noticeable when using Sonic Holography. It will make the imaging uneven.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:26 am

What TNRabbit said. Perhaps you can rotate the room 90 degrees? What the hell's more important anyway ~ great sound or approving wife?
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:04 pm

weitrhino wrote:What TNRabbit said. Perhaps you can rotate the room 90 degrees? What the hell's more important anyway ~ great sound or approving wife?

LOL, sound of coarse ! :lol:
<<

Terry F.

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Mr. M-500t wrote:
weitrhino wrote:What TNRabbit said. Perhaps you can rotate the room 90 degrees? What the hell's more important anyway ~ great sound or approving wife?

LOL, sound of coarse ! :lol:

Sound! :lol:

I can't rotate the room, I have a window on the outside wall, about where the TV would hang.

I've added an 8x12 foot rug and hung a large oil painting in the room. That seems to help a little. The bummer is I really can't get my right speaker 3 feet out from the wall. Doesn't pass common sense test, it encroaches the path through the room. And with the ALSs already being pretty tippy, I can envision it being knocked over at some point. I can't take that risk.

The bad news: one of my 9t crapped out. So off to Rita's they both go for a tune-up. Damn, didn't need this bill, bad timing.

Regards,
Terry
Original ALS, AL-III,
Sunfire TG5,
Previous

Return to List / Update Your System