FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:39 am

New Amp and Receiver

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:52 am

New Amp and Receiver

Well, I sold my TGP-IV and my 400x5 amplifier and have replaced them with an Ultimate receiver and an original 300x2. So far I've only listened in 2 channel mode using the receiver as a preamp but I think the sound quality is as good as my old setup and my speakers don't seem to be missing the 100 watts a channel. Both the units I'm running now cost me as much as I paid for just the 400x5 so I'm happy with the switch. Sooner or later I'm going to have try the receiver power...
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Re: New Amp and Receiver

Glad to hear that you like how you have your system setup now. Enjoy!
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Good deal.
I almost acquired a receiver last month, but instead have a CT-17 coming in to play with as I had a new Carver 705 amp in the box for months, and that will hook to all 5 channels of the Ct-17. Tweaking is fun. When I set up this 5 channel system, going to first hook in BOSE double cubes I had in storage for rear and center channels just to hear the sound. I bet it will all sound great with my Polk VM 30 mains and Polk sub.

I bet someone got a great deal on that amp you sold.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:22 pm

Yeah, that 400x5 was a really nice amp and I thought I'd miss it but when I plugged in my new 300x2 it sounded just as good if not better. Surprisingly, I can't even turn it up as far as I did with the 400x5 without fear of blowing my ear drums or my poor, abused klipsch speakers. The 300x2 I picked up has a fixed, three prong power cord and metal speaker connectors. The power meter stays solid right on 400. I'm really happy with it and can't even imagine what a 600x2 would be like.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:19 am

I am sorry to hear that you sold those goodies :( if I were you I would have never sold that stuff,,,,OK that is not true I sold all my stuff too and my little 75 watt amp has me happy as HECK :lol: :lol: :lol: The best stuff is stuff you enjoy the most :D
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:10 pm

jjptkd wrote:Surprisingly, I can't even turn it up as far as I did with the 400x5 without fear of blowing my ear drums or my poor, abused klipsch speakers.

jjptkd, I thought those were Klipsch's in your avatar.

Which Klipsch's are they?

I know about the loudness. Thankfully, the 490t has the variable line-out so I can use it instead of the fixed-out to turn the system gain down when playing CD's, but don't have that option for SACD's, DVD's or cassette.

If you get around to running the Klipsch's off of the Sunfire receiver, I'd be interested in hearing how it compares to the 300x2, which is what I'm running my Chorus II's on. As you may recall, I'm looking for a HR-772 to use as a preamp, but have thought about a Sunfire receiver to make things a little simpler (would only use it for a 2 channel setup).
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Yeah, those are my old Klipsch Chorus IIs in the picture with a Quartet center. I sold those awhile ago after I bought my first set of Sunfire Ribbon speakers but have since switched back to Klipsch KLF-30s for mains. I haven't really had a chance to take new pics yet because my listening room doubles as a storage locker for all the gear I pick up and lately its been quite full and a bit disorganized. I'll eventually get around to hooking up the rest of the surround system and trying out the internal amplifer and will let you know how it does. In theory, it should work just fine in 2 channel mode, as I've heard (from Bill @ Rita's) and read online that it should have no problem delivering 200 watts x 2 in stereo. It's when you try and run all 7 channels at once that the power rating drops dramatically. My plan is to use the center output for my Sunfire CRM-2c and the rear outputs for a small pair of Klipsch KG .5s for a 5.2 setup. That shouldn't be too taxing I hope.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:28 pm

jjptkd wrote:Yeah, those are my old Klipsch Chorus IIs in the picture with a Quartet center. I sold those awhile ago after I bought my first set of Sunfire Ribbon speakers but have since switched back to Klipsch KLF-30s for mains.

Don't ask......don't ask......don't ask......

I gotta ask. How do the KLF-30's compare to the Chorus II's?

Not unhappy my Chorus II's at all, but am curious. They spec out fairly closely as far as frequency, efficiency and overall size. Are they more similar or dissimilar in sound?
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Scarabeo wrote:I am sorry to hear that you sold those goodies :( if I were you I would have never sold that stuff,,,,OK that is not true I sold all my stuff too and my little 75 watt amp has me happy as HECK :lol: :lol: :lol: The best stuff is stuff you enjoy the most :D

Maybe the best stuff is the NEXT stuff. :lol:
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:22 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:
Scarabeo wrote:I am sorry to hear that you sold those goodies :( if I were you I would have never sold that stuff,,,,OK that is not true I sold all my stuff too and my little 75 watt amp has me happy as HECK :lol: :lol: :lol: The best stuff is stuff you enjoy the most :D

Maybe the best stuff is the NEXT stuff. :lol:

Too be honest, most here have good stuff that will pale the music reproduction most have or have experienced. :rolleyes:

Most here do love good music, but long ago lost that excuse to change things. :lol:
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:12 am

OconeeOrange wrote:Maybe the best stuff is the NEXT stuff. :lol:

There is no perfect system! I think most everyone here has found that to be true. The thing of it is our brain and ears get use to a sound and we then search for something Different not Better just different to mix things up so YES the next stuff will seem better for a time! I found Tubes to be my fix. I can go 6550 or KT88's or KT90's and start all over again with the same amp but different sound then use the same method with the pre AND change up the speakers! ITS A WHORE house of audio around here \:D/
I then can revert back to my trusty Sunfire Ultimate Receiver :D

I was a CANTON & ADS fan for speakers and love the Canton ct2000's (GREAT BASS) ADS not so bright giving more amp options - Acurus too for amplifiers then I said I had the best system ever but thanks to TUBES SUNFIRE POWER & SUNFIRE CRS-3's and CMR-2's and of course PLATINUM'S I now have the best until tomorrow!!!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:41 am

My Sunfire Receiver runs my Klipsch towers just fine in 2 channel stereo and will play just about as loud as the 300x2 if you push it. I was really surprised that, to me, there really was no discernable difference in sound quality switching between receiver power and amplifier power, just a difference in the volume setting. I talked with Bill yesterday at Rita's Vintage Audio about eliminating the amplifier and only using receiver power and he didn't think it was a good idea. His thought was that the receiver was really designed for a small room, apartment style setting, running smaller speakers to moderate levels and if you were to run big speakers at high volumes for any period of time the unit would heat up due to stress and eventually cause problems. I understand his point and my speakers will take almost full volume running off the receiver but it's pretty frickin loud at that point, way louder then normal listening volumes for me. --40db on the volume is loud in my room, --20db and you're feeling every note of the music, -5db and you can't scream over the music, which is way louder then I would ever listen to it for any amount of time. So, I feel safe using the receiver in the -20db to -60db volume range all day long without worry of stressing the receiver. Right now I'm listening to the radio at -60db volume setting and its perfect.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:50 am

That's because you have very efficient speakers~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:57 am

rah,

To answer your question directly, would the receiver power the chorus iis the same as your 300x2, I'd have to say yes for normal listening levels. If you're planning on throwing office partys where the stereo is going to playing at top volume for extended periods of time, you might want to keep the amp around though.

I was just over at a friends house this last weekend and he has my old pair of chorus iis powered by a A-760x with a CT-23 preamp and if you even breathe on the volume knob too hard its suddenly really, really loud. The volume knob starts at about 7 o'clock on the dial and by 9 o'clock you have a hard time talking over it.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:11 am

Its kind of funny, looking at my avatar photo, one of my best friends basically has that whole setup right now at his house. The Klipsch chorus IIs, the Velodyne FSR-15, the Carver A-760x and the CT-23. He even has the A-220 that's in the picture for a second system. He's sooo happy with the system(s) I've put together for him and we've spent many a drunkin nights listening to all kinds of good tunes. I'm almost a little jealous that he's gotten so many miles out of that same stereo as I can't remember the last piece of equipment that I've held onto for any real length of time.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
Next

Return to List / Update Your System