FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:48 pm

The TFM-45 and an absolute Carver Newbie

<<

audiocr381ve

Post Thu May 19, 2011 1:21 am

The TFM-45 and an absolute Carver Newbie

So I'm picking up a Carver TFM-45 tomorrow for a decent price. The owner says their is a slight hum that goes away as you play the music louder. He also informed me that the amp has never been serviced.

First of all, any info regarding these units would be most helpful. I'm not familiar with Carver amps but I'm excited to let her rip on my restored Polk SDA-2B's.

Questions:
1. I heard this particular model needed some sort of fix as I searched google. I'm handy with a soldering iron and I would like to attempt the fix once I find out what it is :) Does anybody have info on it?
2. I'm obviously going to need this thing restored. I've restored crossovers before by updating the caps and resistors, but I've never worked on an amp. Is their some sort of guide to refreshing this particular model?
3. I'm in Southern CA, if someone could recommend a place out here that knows what they're doing with Carver amps, I'd like to consider that option as well.

I have more questions but don't want to be a butt on my first visit!

Thanks in advanced.
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Thu May 19, 2011 4:51 am

Re: The TFM-45 and an absolute Carver Newbie

Hmmm, Hummmm? Well that could be some different things. First off where is the humm coming from, the speakers or do you hear it coming from inside the amp?
For repairs and upgrades there are a couple of choices on the left coast. Ritas is great, and you can get Mr. Carver to sign your equipment if you want. This part of the forum might be helpful to you. viewforum.php?f=4
Good Luck with your TFM-45. They are a great amp, and hooked up to the Polk SDA 2B's is a match made in heaven. I have them both, and I'm sure pleased with the sound. \:D/
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu May 19, 2011 6:58 am

Rita did a great job on mine long ago. Theres alot more that needs to be done other than just replacing caps. I would definitely send it to someone who knows.
Maybe one of our moonlighter's will offer to help you out just because we're all sick and love to play ! :lol: :lol: :lol: Good luck and welcome to the Dark Side.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu May 19, 2011 8:02 am

I got a slight hum in my TFM-55 when no music is playing. Goes away as soon as it gets a source. It will need to be serviced at some point.

Congrats on the new amp.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

kingman

Post Thu May 19, 2011 8:07 am

The owner says their is a slight hum that goes away as you play the music louder.
...Just turn IT UP!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu May 19, 2011 11:09 am

"1. I heard this particular model needed some sort of fix as I searched google. I'm handy with a soldering iron and I would like to attempt the fix once I find out what it is Does anybody have info on it?"

that would be the damping adjustment "drift" issue unique to this amp most likely. It is covered in detail somewhere on this forum (search for "damping" "TFM-45" "drift", etc.). Based on your amp's SN, this service bulletin fix may or may not need to be done. If not done, I can gaurentee that this adjustment is off and needs to be done. Makes day/night difference in the sound of this amp...Ed
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

audiocr381ve

Post Thu May 19, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi guys, I finally got the amp to test myself. Here are the problems.

1. Right speaker meter is out of wack
2. Right speaker is louder and sounds better. I believe this was a "damping" or "drift" problem with these TFM models. I googled and couldn't find more info on repairing it myself.
3. Upon power off there is a nice whine that lasts for a few seconds.

I know the response is going to be to get it professionally repaired, but I want some more information on whether or not it would be difficult to repair myself. I'm good with desoldering/soldering and just general easy maintenance modifications so I'd at the very least like to try to get it up and running by myself.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu May 19, 2011 2:00 pm

audiocr...
Follow the steps in this thread to do the damping adjustment. Plus check the SN of your 45 to see if it has had the related service bulletin fix for the "drifting" issue re this adjustment:

Here is the "big thread" that details this adjustment process:
http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5300&hilit=TFM

serial numbers of 42/45's that need the damping pot drift SB fix:
TFM-42: below 01200
TFM-45: below 02760

ps: I'm in Huntington Beach: Might consider helping you do these adjustments (there are two other "easy" ones to do as well as mentioned in the thread) if you close by and want to bring it over some evening/weekend....just because it makes such a huge difference to have these adjustments "spot on" for this great amp (that sounds pretty crappy when this damping adjustment is "off"!) Ed

pps: re-read your post. The "hum" and "whine" and other issues probably make it a great candidate to have ALL of these issues (which I believe would include re-capping which it probably very much needs!) re-solved in one trip to Rolland or Rita. Would be the best ~$350 you ever spent (audio wise) IMHO! But can still do the three adjustments which can only greatly improve its sound!
Last edited by elgrau on Thu May 19, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

audiocr381ve

Post Thu May 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Hey Elgrau, I appreciate the help.

I just checked the serial number and mine is indeed below 02760. Looks like I'll need the service bulletin fix. I'm going to ship her out to Rolland later today, this is all over my head. To bad they're 8 weeks back logged.

Thanks guys!
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Thu May 19, 2011 3:00 pm

there is a fix for the whine, but this does not hurt not thing hurt anything, just an irritant thats all.
on mine the pots needed cleaned as they had drifted off
but I would think the caps are about do for a replace.
these amps also suffer from solder joint issues, look at these also.
all 3 of mine had a few loose spots.....
I did recap the PS on 1, (blown caps) then had Rita do these....
if you have some who has done a bit of work on electrontics, this stuff is not to hard to do,....
but at the time I did not trust myself to not let the magic smoke out,....
in the past year it has gotten better for me to fix a few of the simpler things...
so my point is, if you get over your head there are a few guys that can help ya out.....
Right Bill D..... =D> =D> =D>
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

audiocr381ve

Post Thu May 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Well I definitely have some solder/desoldering skills and have rebuilt crossovers. Very simple stuff like replacing resistors, capacitors, etc. I'm sure if I had someone walk me through this that I'd be able to do it. Rolland charges $300 + shipping both ways and that's a LOT for us right now.

If somebody is willing, I'm all ears :D
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu May 19, 2011 5:33 pm

$300.00 may seem high but Rolland doesn't "repair" the amp he refurbs it. Everything will be gone over & replaced if needed.

When you get it back it will be, for all practical purposes a "new" amp.

It will sound great too.

Congrats & btw welcome to the forum.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 pm

frankieD wrote:$300.00 may seem high but Rolland doesn't "repair" the amp he refurbs it. Everything will be gone over & replaced if needed.

When you get it back it will be, for all practical purposes a "new" amp.

It will sound great too.

Congrats & btw welcome to the forum.

=D> =D> =D>

Return to List / Update Your System