2 Wicked Step children (Aka Infinity Kappa 9)

List and Update your System. Make your own thread, and post away.
bahamayellow714

2 Wicked Step children (Aka Infinity Kappa 9)

Post by bahamayellow714 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Well I couldnt take it anymore and these Infinity Kappa 9s were on craigslist for 2 months and finally took the plunge. I have a pair of Infinty 8.1s which sound great but I was really suprised how the Kappa 9s really out peformed them even at low volume. Equipment that was tested on them from the guy was a cheap cd player, Adcom G555 ii for the lows and BK442 amp for the highs. When he turned it up the kappas kind of laughed and went alittle higher. Of course I dont have the power for them now :rolleyes: but have read almost every thread on the web on these for power. Power I could afford and seen, 2 Tfm 55x biamped, 1 pair Carver sliver 9t, 1 tfm 75 ( I know is rare but saw one on ekkbay a couple months ago), 2 bryston 4bst biamped, 2 Sunfire 300 x2 biamped. One person uses a Mckintosh mc2500 but weighs in at a hefty 120pounds. A friend of mine drives his with BAT amp from 2000 with 350 watts a channel with no problem. My room is 10 x 20 in a basement with concrete/ finished. I am running my 8.1s with a biamped pair of a500x. Would my A500xs even move the Kappa 9s. I dont want to burn anything up. Preamp is a Parasound P5. Suggestions welcomed. Sorry for the novel. Thanks.
DSC01475.JPG
DSC01474.JPG

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Re: 2 Wicked Step children (Aka Infinity Kappa 9)

Post by kingman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:14 am

Very Nice!!! I would recommend a pair of monoblocks like the Silver7-9ts or a Lightstar to really handle those. 8)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Martin1970
TFM-35

Post by Martin1970 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:22 am

Congrats on your new Kappas. They're certainly on my speaker bucket list.
If you look at mid/high section of the crossover schematic, they have five loops paralleled together across the amp input terminals. In all of your reading, have you ever heard of anyone trying to separate them and use 2 amp channels on that part instead of one? It seems like the only consequence would be maybe more gain in one section than the other. Well, that and a much less absurd load. Am I missing something?
For Reference:

pmat
Newbie 50+

Post by pmat » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:09 pm

I recently had both my tfm 45 and (separately) Silver 9t's running a pair of Kappa 9's. The refurbed tfm45 had no problems, no shutoffs and pushed them hard. Didn't miss a beat. The Silver 9t's, of course, grabbed them by the hips.
Power is the aphrodisiac of audio

Glenlivet
M-400t CUBE

Post by Glenlivet » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:02 am

Good score! Yes, I have a pair of Kappa 9's and I learned that it takes arc welding style current to make those 9's move, but when you provide that current with an amp that can push a very low impedance load without self destructing, get ready for some serious sound. :shock:
I bi-amp them through separate power amps, the first two channels of a TGA 7400 on low and same with a TGA 5400 on high (the other channels run center, side axis, mid, and rear CRM-2, CRS-3, CRS3C, through a TGP-5 ( and I have an EQ-12 sub for good measure) and I am quite satisfied with the result.

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:44 pm

pmat wrote:I recently had both my tfm 45 and (separately) Silver 9t's running a pair of Kappa 9's. The refurbed tfm45 had no problems, no shutoffs and pushed them hard. Didn't miss a beat. The Silver 9t's, of course, grabbed them by the hips.
I was thinking 2 TFM-45's would be a good match too. The Lightstar would get the most out of them but they're hard to find and I doubt if one would come cheap.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

bahamayellow714

Post by bahamayellow714 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:35 pm

So I finally got the Kappa 9s hooked up. I am running them with 2 TFM-25s bi amped and they seem to handling them very well. I have the woofer switch set on normal and the bass turned all the way down and it still belts out bass when turned up. My preamp right now is a parasound zpre which is slightly cutting it till I get enough funds to get the one I want. I am running a parasound phono amp as well with it. The turn table is a Technics 1200 m5g with a audio tecnica 120E cart. My CD player is a Onkyo DVD player from 16 years ago which sounds good as well. Most RCAs are audioquest and the speaker wire is Monster cable 16g XP. I could grab my Parasound P5 and Marantz cd player from my other system but didnt since I have it sounding so well. I was thinking of going with a Vincent Hybrid tube/solidstate pre in the future just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. I know the P5 is a good match with the Carvers so I wouldnt have any problem making that purchase also. Possible future amps would be 2 Tfm 45s but my room size is about 9 x 15. Thanks for looking.
DSC01531.JPG
DSC01533.JPG
DSC01534.JPG
DSC01535.JPG
DSC01536.JPG
DSC01535.JPG

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:46 pm

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Any distance you can get of the screen to be further behind the plain of the speakers might help lower it's impact on imaging. Also you can throw a heavy material blanket over it to help too. I find softness and empty area between to really, really impact how a system will image. Being away from the wall that's behind them, as you have, also helps.

Sweet!

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:48 pm

Love the photos!!!! Keep the music pumping!!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to “List / Update Your System”