Sunfire Subrosa w/Amplifier

List and Update your System. Make your own thread, and post away.
Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Sunfire Subrosa w/Amplifier

Post by Miko1971 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:37 pm

After reading and researching I've decided that I want to go the way of the Subrosa. Through some wheelin and dealin I was able to pick up the sub and amp for a very nice price. The kind of price that allows me to flip it should it not work out.

I did splurge on the ultra hard to find wall bracket... I am very intrigued with the only speakers sitting on the floor will be my "Silo" sized SoundLabs. My idea is to wall mount 2 behind my SL's and presto changeo, where is all the sick bass coming from Professor Boom-n-the-Room?

If this goes as planned, 2 more will be wall mounted well below my "as yet to acquire" CRM-BIP's on the rear wall/corner placement.

Anyone here run or have heard a multi-rosa (2-4) set up?

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Re: Sunfire Subrosa w/Amplifier

Post by Miko1971 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:39 pm

I'll be picking it up this Saturday! Pics and stuff to follow hence wiff....

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:49 am

Great, can't wait to hear your impressions! I don't know of anyone here who has ever owned one?? They are beautiful pieces, hopefully they'll work out for you.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:38 pm

Made it home early and picked it up today. It's stunning and a perfect match to my crs-3c's. Since i sold both my power conditioners i can tell i took a huge lose in SQ. It was really night and day without my RSA Haley..hell even my Panamax!

The sub amp controls are super fine adjustment. i mean just barely touch them and it changes things big league. I have a feeling this amp wasn't something Mr. C had a hand in. it is a subwoofer, i ran the auto eq and i'm a bit underwhelmed. i have it sitting in front of my a/v for now and it needs a whole lot of fiddlin for sure.

maybe another one and placed in a better spot will help. This is all very peliminary, plus i added two new wirewold RCA's and my whole set up is changed. It sounded better last week :(

more thoughts to come.......
Attachments
IMG_5860.JPG
IMG_5861.JPG
IMG_5863.JPG
IMG_5864.JPG
IMG_5865.JPG
IMG_5866.JPG
IMG_5867.JPG
IMG_5868.JPG
IMG_5869.JPG

UncleMeat
M-400t CUBE

Post by UncleMeat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:20 am

The SubRosa Bob had at Carverfest sounded nice; but it was set too high and was overpowering the ALS (~8' tall) speakers with too much bass note. I turned the gain way down and it blended perfectly. It's an awesome sub, so don't get discouraged!

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:57 am

UncleMeat wrote:it was set too high and was overpowering the ALS (~8' tall) speakers with too much bass note.
That is just very hard for me to imagine.. I had one in between a pair of AL-III's and it was extremely underwhelming-- no way in the best of conditions could it have overpowered them. The Signature 12 I had in the corner seemed like it could of easily outperformed 2 or 3 of the subrosa's, at least in my room. :-s
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

UncleMeat
M-400t CUBE

Post by UncleMeat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:57 pm

Manual adjustments or with room EQ? The SubRosa at CF didn't have the room EQ set, just manually adjusted. I've got the TSW Signature; and it sounds nice and it easily overpowers my room which is 2x 12x24 ("L" shaped about 400 SqFt).

Bob's cabin was about 500 SqFt with vaulted cielings. The SubRosa didn't have any trouble generating enough bass for that room.

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:38 am

That's about the size of my living room currently, i plan on knocking down the wall behind my a/v set up and incorporate that room which is currently my home office/storage room. That will double my space. it does play quite deep and its clean, i think the protection circuit throttles it back. Take the grill off and those little 10's are working hard. Not that i am a mini Bob Carver or anything, but i wonder why he decided on 10 inch instead of 12 or more? It must have something to do with form factor..

These are bigger then the pictures would lead you to think. Now that I've had some time to monkey with it, I'm getting it dialed in. The learning curve is steep, small almost fractions of movement are needed. I would have liked to see the controls set up with much more range in the adjustments. Or in other words, the controls are very fine i think in a sub, it would be better to have coarse or a wider range along the dial.

I do see this working out, I think my original plan to "on wall mount" one behind each SoundLab will work. Maybe buy and try the JL Audio CR-1 and see if i can't fine tune this even more although those little bastards are pricey and i don't see them offered up for sale at all on the second hand market yet. Paying retail is a sin 90% of the time.

I have no real experience with the cube subs, the one i did own was busted. I thought it fix it up but i just don't really have the time to fool with it. My other plan called for the cylindrical sub offered by SVS. I may still grab one and try it.

But if you add up the shear elegance, technical ability etc...these subrosa's are ass kicking all others. It really is a awesomely pretty and its a frikin subwoofer.

I'm more amazed at how my system took a kick in the ass removing my power conditioning stuff. I can remember this same sound from before, it's amazing how you can have a "sonic memory"? The last thing i want to do is sound like some of those jerk offs that write a bunch of crap as they bullshit you into buying a 6 figure speaker cable.

What i can say as a real person is that yes, things changed. The sound became compressed and the spaciousness and deep sound stage is gone. Just how in hell that happens because of a power conditioner ( i was using a RSA Haley ) is beyond me.

I expect once i get my Equi=Tech installed the sound i came to love will return. Or, since I'm running my signal into the sub amp, maybe it needs time to break in? It is brand new both the sub and amp.

to be continued.....

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by radioeng2 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:27 am

That JL Audio CR-1 is a serious crossover. I'd had my eye open for a deal on a used one to show. I did see one after the fact once and one that was about full price, but nothin' else.

Instead I found the Bryston 10B sub crossover and have been very happy with it. A lot of crossovers lose some of the music...I've tried a bunch. The balanced version of the 10B fixed up what I was after nicely and cheaper than the JL. Though the JL does have some unique adjustability.

The 10B comes in either unbalanced or balanced and the standard or the sub version. The only difference in the sub version is that it comes with lower freq's in it. The freq's can be changed in one if desired, the bal versus unbalanced can't be field changed.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:18 am

Hi,
I haven't researched that crossover although i have seen it mentioned before elsewhere. My reason for the JL is the fact that it has the ability to incorporate your 2 channel into your Home theater if you do not have a HT processor or a Pre Amp with a HT bypass.

I do not intend to buy a HT processor, electing instead to run a JLTi Modified Oppo 105D http://www.customanalogue.com/index.html

He worked with the late Allen Wright of Vacuum State. Allen was a very talented man of his own and it is truly a loss to us all with his untimely passing. In tribute, i am using a Vacuum State Super Regulator in my never ending pre amp build.

So, because those little bad boys of universal players can essentially work as a HT Processor on their own, i don't need one. I have discussed adding a HT Bypass into my pre amp with Joseph Chow and I'm waiting to see what he comes up with.

If it's not feasible, then that CR-1 is the hot ticket. Since my SL's can output some serious bass, my idea was to run these Subrosa's at a lower crossover so i won't have to push my SL's as hard. I just want the ability to dial them in better. The controls on the amp suck. They are barely marked and very sensitive to the slightest change.
IMG_5877.JPG
IMG_5880.JPG

See what i mean? now contrast that with a CR-1
CR-1.jpg

Return to “List / Update Your System”