BSG qøl Signal Completion Stage

List and Update your System. Make your own thread, and post away.
Miko1971
TFM-6cb

BSG qøl Signal Completion Stage

Post by Miko1971 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:51 am

I remember reading all the reviews and I was very interested in trying one. Then you get to the end of the article and the damn thing is $4,000... so now a few years pass and for reasons unknown, bsg closed it's doors. They were awarded 2 patents for this stuff. I'm looking around and low and behold... what do we find? A Qøl for sale at a tremendous discount!

She's now sitting at home waiting... for $800 I had to snatch it up!

For anyone not familiar with this C9 on steroids:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/bsg- ... xhmpkSZ.97
Attachments
IMG_6224.JPG
IMG_6224.JPG (14.23 KiB) Viewed 1186 times

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Re: BSG qøl Signal Completion Stage

Post by Miko1971 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:32 pm

So i get it installed between my Pre and amps and wow...it's not really a C9 on steroids. It's something else. I'm using my CRS-3C's again as my plates are at a local repair shop. ( the bias controls had a resister installed and i can't fully bias up my speakers now, so they are removing them ) But even set up like this i am impressed.

It comes with a remote and you can bypass it instantly and I've hit the button a few dozens times already trying to figure out what the hell it's doing. It is not adding anything as far as i can tell. It seems to magnify the sound. Everything seems well placed and more detailed.

I'm playing "hey nineteen" and the cymbals are clear without that shitty splashiness kind of smearing. the background vocals seem to come out of their own space. the drum is centered.

whoa...this thing is wild. more thoughts to follow.

UncleMeat
M-400t CUBE

Post by UncleMeat » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:57 pm

I read the description of what it does in the patent on the stereophile review and it seemed to me that the q0l acts more like a Carver DTL box than a C-9; or maybe it's a combination of the two. The DTL changes the ratio of stereo L-R to center channel L+R in a similar way. I'm not sure if the q0l adds phased signal of the opposite channel to cancel the interaural crosstalk like a C-9 but if it does then it would be somewhat equivalent to having both a DTL and C-9 running together. I've used both simultaneously (DTL in front of SH) and with the right recordings it creates a huge sound field, more like what my vinyl recordings do on their own.

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:24 am

Tom Reitz had one at last years CarverFest. I don't remember hearing it though. My understanding is he likes it

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Its certainly a cool little add on. I don't think even now owning one I'd say it's $4k worth of cool. It's over built for what it is.
They could have made a simpler version without the extra inputs and sold it for much less. Or went all the way and made it a pre amp. It's still a shame they didn't know how to properly build and market this technology.

I can't wait to try it out on my big 'Labs!

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Oh btw, I just scored another subrosa/amp/wall mount nib for $1,450!

Return to “List / Update Your System”