Jl Audio CR-1 Crossover

List and Update your System. Make your own thread, and post away.
Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Jl Audio CR-1 Crossover

Post by Miko1971 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:20 am

Since I run (2) Sunfire Subrosa's and I'm not a big fan of the limited adjust-ability on the amplifier's I thought the CR-1would be a great addition. I was able to pick up a brand new, unopened one on Audiogon for $2,300. Not a bad deal and still a pretty decent saving off list/retail price. This thing is huge! Pictures do not really show just how "full sized" it is. It is also heavy for a crossover... this is certainly no cheapo effort. I think Jl was going for a statement product and I'm duly impressed.

I have it in my system now and had a chance to play with it. So far as good. I have some test CD's and since I'm only using 1 subwoofer I'm not going to spend a awful lot of time dialing it in. I just wanted to post some pictures and give you all my general thoughts and opinions. Excellent build quality, packaging and even the Owner's Manual is printed on nice,thick paper.

Anyone considering one or has one?
Attachments
IMG_6280.JPG
IMG_6281.JPG
IMG_6282.JPG
IMG_6283.JPG
IMG_6284.JPG
IMG_6285.JPG
IMG_6286.JPG

MRHP
SILVER-7t

Re: Jl Audio CR-1 Crossover

Post by MRHP » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:52 am

Nice looking piece. I never knew they made such.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:59 am

$3000 for a subwoofer crossover? :shock:
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Magnaryder
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Magnaryder » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:44 am

Nice!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

"Racing is life, the rest of the time you're just sitting around."-Steve McQueen

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:26 pm

That is something special!!!! Has it improved the bass integration sound wise, details?
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Miko1971
TFM-6cb

Post by Miko1971 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:29 pm

jjptkd wrote:$3000 for a subwoofer crossover? :shock:

To be fair, it is a two way crossover. It's not as feature rich as let's say a Pioneer Series 20 crossover from the 70's. In my System, since i use essentially crossover-less full range electrostatic speakers and dynamic cone sub woofers i needed a better solution.

The crossover network in the SRA-2700 Amplifier has a fixed 70Hz high pass crossover point with a 6db slope.
With the CR-1, you have 30Hz – 150Hz high and low pass filters, plus the ability to "bend" the filters roll off with the Damping control. Plus a choice between 12/24db slopes.

This is a serious tool and if someone is happy with their full range speakers, this wouldn't be necessary. My Sound Labs do put out significant bass for what they are. But it requires a ton of power and even then, they are limited by the fact that the panels can only move so far. If you've ever heard a electrostatic being over driven, it is an awful sound!

They make a crunch sound and wow does that make you feel like you just done fucked up son...They say it doesn't hurt them..but i ain't the type to test that theory. So...that made me want to incorporate subs..

The whole "fast" "slow" thing is not because cones are incapable of moving as fast, it's a timing issue. I could write a bunch on that subject alone. What i have done is take Bob's idea for this slim form factor (4 inches deep) and use it to my advantage by placing them in front of my speakers.

I've solved the timing/phase issue physically. This would be impractical with standard box subs. As my speakers are almost as wide as the subs, it works out pretty damn nice. The same guy that's building my new back plate risers, is also building a 8 inch speaker base to raise them so the bottom of the panel clears the top of the subs.

Now, i can dial in just where i want the main speakers to pass off to the subs and by using the independent frequency adjustments they have truly become a cohesive speaker system now. Yea, It is expensive to go this route. I've had a couple days off and yesterday i really went to work and spent a few hours getting it blended in and even with 1 sub, i am stunned at how good this is sounding.

It hasn't affected the quality of the sound. I tried it in and out and bypassed etc.. it does not add or take away. I think that is partly the reason it's expensive. If you are running a speaker system using separate subs and mains, this is the hot ticket.
Once i get my other sub back from Sunfire then i can offer a better opinion.

As it is right now, with proper placement and time with test tones and measuring..I've got them working together better then i ever have. I still have some room mode issues, so until i get the other sub back in..i'm not done.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:12 am

You could have done same thing for about $100...

http://www.minidsp.com

I love JL's subs, but $3,000 for the same DSP that's inside their $3000 subwoofers... in its own fancy box... Crazy !!

MRHP
SILVER-7t

Post by MRHP » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Toy Maker wrote:You could have done same thing for about $100...

http://www.minidsp.com

I love JL's subs, but $3,000 for the same DSP that's inside their $3000 subwoofers... in its own fancy box... Crazy !!

Are you saying the Fathom subs are $3000? I thought retail was $12,000....
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0001
Baby Black Magic serial #0002
Cherry/260wpc Mono Blocks
Lightstar Reference
Sunfire Series II 625x2
Carver 490t
OPPO-103
Lucas Labs CF-14
Sunfire Tube pre
DENON DP-62L TT
DUAL CS 5000 TT
DQ-20's
Tesla CF-15 speakers
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:21 am

Yes, Fathom subs are $2500 - $4500
http://www.jlaudio.com/home-audio-power ... -fathom-v2

You are thinking of the JL GOTHAM... Dual driver HUGE and EXPENSIVE !!
http://www.jlaudio.com/home-audio-power ... -gotham-v2

Return to “List / Update Your System”