FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:41 pm

A few small upgrades

<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:03 pm

A few small upgrades

A few recent upgrades to my systems: 1 pair Apogée Monitors, 1 pair Morduant Short Pageant 2 speakers, 1 Stax SRM212 electrostatic headphone amplifier (to go with the Stax SR-Lambda headphones I bought a few weeks ago). More stuff to come next week ... or the week after ...
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:29 pm

Re: A few small upgrades

What are the speaks replacing — or are you just adding?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:18 pm

BillD wrote:What are the speaks replacing — or are you just adding?

The Morduant Shorts are replacing the Polk Monitor 20s that I have on my sons MXR-130. The Apogées are for ...... well, you'll see next week ...... maybe!
:D

The headphone amp is incredible; such a huge difference from the Stax transformer unit that came with the headphones. I also heard a pair of new Stax headphones this afternoon on my headphone amp and they are so far beyond the Lambdas that it isn't even funny. I also got to listen to the AKG 701s and, as good as they are (a bit better than my Lambdas with the headphone amp, mostly in the bass) they can't hold a candle to the bigger Stax (at 3 times the price, they better be!)..... guess I know what I'm asking for as a Christmas present ....

BTW, my speaker quest is not quite over yet .... let you know on Monday if I'm able to swing a deal on yet another set of speakers for ......
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:58 pm

Well guys, I have a few apologies to hand out right now. Until today I had found the whole idea of dedicated headphone amplifiers to be a ridiculous idea (excuses to TNRabbit and BillD for ever doubting you guys). I've just spent the last 5 hours listening to my Stax Lambdas hooked up to a Stax SRM212 headphone amplifier hooked up to my NAD CDP and I have been moved emotionally by music I have never heard like this before. That was until I hooked up my Oppo to it and then I was litterally reduced to tears by just about everything I listened to.

I can hardly wait for the 2 new sets of speakers and other equipment to arrive next week. I think that I may finally be getting to where I have wanted to be soundwise for all these years.
<<

docadillac

TFM-25

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:28 pm

Beautiful!! It's great when you are so closely involved with the music. I hope your changes reap the benefits you are looking for.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:09 am

Thought I'd post a more recent pic of my system for you guys.

my new acquisition.jpg
my new acquisition.jpg (138.49 KiB) Viewed 759 times
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:31 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 am

now that system brings back some great memories---sweeeet :D
<<

snarffydoggy

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:50 am

Looks like an old fisher receiver??
snarffydoggy
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:35 pm

Well, I've been listening to the Apogée Monitors all evening and I have to say that they still sound as awesone as I remember them sounding some 30+ years ago. They are also a LOT bigger than I remember!

The Morduant Shorts sound even better than I remember them to the point where I'm actually reluctant giving them to my son for his system. Spent quite a bit of time cleaning both pairs up while listening to the other and, aside from a few nicks and scratches, the Morduant Shorts could almost pass for new after 3 coats of teak oil and the Apogée Monitors cleaned up remarkably well and are far less damaged than I had originally thought (they were FILTHY). Just need to find some matching walnut veneer and matching stain and I should be able to fix the damaged corners so they are barely noticeable. Unfortunately, the bottoms of all 4 speakers are severely damaged to the point that re-veneering them is the only way they will be passable.

The grilles are a whole other story so I will have to find some new matching cloth to recover them. One was missing the logo plaque and miraculously, I found a spare one in my box of spare parts along with 3 original grille mounting posts to replace the broken ones. Just one more thing to keep me busy for a few weeks.

Return to List / Update Your System