It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:53 pm

System Updates

<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:30 am

Re: System Updates

Marc (OBI56) sent me a PM which might explain your EQ 3000 problem. It is expecting 0dB. When you put it in between the preamp and the power amp, you are attenuating the gain with the volume control. That puppy needs to be reading full gain for the lights to move correctly.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

icravcarver

TFM-25

Post Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:53 pm

Thanks. That makes sense to me. I thought it might have something to do with the output levels and such, so I can understand why this would happen. Was confusing me. I thought I was going loco! :shock:
OCCD claims another victim!!

Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: TFM-55; C-16; SD/A-490t; TD-1770; BEDROOM: HR-772
Non Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: Dual CS-530 TT w/Ortofon Super OM10; POLK SDA-1C's; Phillips CDR-775 CD Burner; BSR EQ-300; BEDROOM: T.B.A.

"I may be poor, but I am rich in sound!!"
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:51 am

icravcarver wrote:On that note, I have made a discovery that maybe some of you technical guys can chime in about. When I hook up the unit through the tape deck loop, the spectrum analyzer works fine. However, when I hook it through the Pre-outs on my HR772, the analyzer doesn't work. You can adjust the frequency bands, and notice the difference, but the analyzer display doesn't show anything? (I don't want to hook up this way as I have no way to control the volume for the pink noise generator as it is after the volume control for the pre-amp section of the receiver). Just curious as to why this might be. :-k :-k

What Marc said about the effect of putting the EQ-3000 between the preamp and the amp is true. I once had an EQ-3000 installed between my 4000t preamp and M1.5t amplifier.

HOWEVER, the EQ-3000 has a control at the upper right corner of the display labeled as METER SENSE; adjusting this will increase/decrease the sensitivity (gain) of the display (spectrum analyzer) readout circuitry, and is intended to provide sufficient gain to obtain a readable display, based on the setting of the Display 20 - 30 dB pushbutton just below it; the two are used in conjunction with one another. You might also try adjusting the ATT LEFT/RIGHT controls - they also affect the sensitivity of the spectrum analyzer display, with full clockwise being unity gain.
<<

icravcarver

TFM-25

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:42 pm

I had all the attenuation controls and meter sensitivity controls as high as they could go, but my volume down low!! De' rats was in der beds, if you know what I mean. I am fine putting back into the tape loop. Just have to remember to turn hit the Tape 1 button on the remote to get that sweet sound going through the unit! :o
OCCD claims another victim!!

Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: TFM-55; C-16; SD/A-490t; TD-1770; BEDROOM: HR-772
Non Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: Dual CS-530 TT w/Ortofon Super OM10; POLK SDA-1C's; Phillips CDR-775 CD Burner; BSR EQ-300; BEDROOM: T.B.A.

"I may be poor, but I am rich in sound!!"
Previous

Return to List / Update Your System