It's a start

<<

donberry

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:16 am

It's a start

Picking it up Saturday from a gentleman that has been more then kind
Carver M200T
Carver C2

not quite up to par with many here, but I am excited like a kid at Christmas. I always wanted this stuff, remember drooling over it in Germany, but I liked bier too much and just had some nice pioneer and kenwood equipment.,
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:49 am

Re: It's a start

Congrats, donberry! What speakers will you be driving with this setup? CDP/TT?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

donberry

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:16 am

not sure to be honest. Will be looking for something around 300-500. Thing about speakers, especially where I live, don;t have any place to actually hear them so pretty much have to go by word of mouth, and as u know, what may be music to my ears may be noise to yours.
Got my eyes on some Klispch Fortes at the moment at a pawn shop - mint condition
at the moment I have a pair of HPM-100 speakers, but they are not speaker I want for this.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:30 am

Fortes are nice!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:45 am

Congrats on the pickups.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:49 pm

A C-2/M-500t combo will be a great center for a small starter system. The C-2 is a VERY clean-sounding preamp, and although it lacks most of the "bells and whistles" in terms of tone adjustment and Sonic Holography that the C-1 has, it is a very sweet-sounding "purist" preamp. The M-200t is a surprisingly powerful amp despite it's small size, and if you are driving very efficient speakers (like small bookshelves, or horn speakers like the Klipsch's you mentioned) it should do just fine.

Make sure you don't skimp on cables though. Get some decent speaker cables, but remember, the M-200t has those stupid little "spring clip" type speaker connections, so at least on the amp end of your speaker cables, you should either have bare (or lightly tinned) wire or pins--bananas or spades will not work with the M-200t...

The Klipsch Forte is a very nice speaker--plenty of bass, and VERY smooth mids and highs, and at 98dB efficiency, it should be very happy being driven by an M-500t, even to relatively loud levels.

The Forte's are HEAVY speakers though--which is a good thing. They are a bear to move around, but they are pretty much rock-solid as far as being anti-resonant cabinets. They are a little big, but not as big as some of the big Polks or Martin Logans. I think they'd make a GREAT match to the Carver combo you're getting.

Please keep us posted, and post some pictures when you get everything put together!

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:30 pm

Richard, on the subject of the speaker clips on the back of the M-200t (and also the M-400 series btw) I came across this almost accidentally. When I got my MIT AVt-3 speaker cables they came with spades at 1 end and bananas at the other end. These screw-on to terminals on the ends of the speaker cables that just happed to have been designed to fit into those damned spring clips on my M-400t and, due to their design, are next to impossible to pull off unlike bare wires. (the wires owners manuals even makes a point of this) The photo below is the solder-on version for other wires than MIT and are the same as the ones permanently attached to MIT's own cables.

icpb_exlg.jpg
icpb_exlg.jpg (35.99 KiB) Viewed 753 times
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

kingman

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:19 am

Good start donberry !
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to List / Update Your System