FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:15 am

NY_EE AL-III + system.

<<

NY_EE

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:13 am

NY_EE AL-III + system.

Here's my main system. See photo for equipment list. The center channel speaker is just a crappy Sony mounted above the screen. I was seriously looking at the custom center on eBay but it's just too expensive. My son's cars are all over the floor in front of the screen in the theater shot. I have an NEC CRT projector operating at 720p onto the 120" screen.[
Attachments
Rack Small.JPG
Rack Small.JPG (106.81 KiB) Viewed 763 times
Kenton Pl Theater Small.JPG
Kenton Pl Theater Small.JPG (249.71 KiB) Viewed 762 times
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: NY_EE AL-III + system.

Welcome NY_EE. very nice setup. How many kids do you have not counting yourself or your wife. :lol:
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:49 am

shweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet~

What rear/surrounds do you use?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:28 am

Nice system. I have been watching that center out on eBay also. Would love to have that but it is too much for me right now also.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

NY_EE

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:13 pm

I have another pair of Sonys for the rear surrounds. I would love to get some more AL-III for the rears and center but even if I could drop that much coin I still would need to get amps. Anybody else here ever use the Crown K2 amp? I like rackmount equipment, as I change things around all the time, pushing cables onto equipment that doesn't move is much easier. I also like the newer Class D amps because of the efficiency. If I had 5 AL-IIIs I would need 2500W of amps or more, meaning I would have to install a dedicated 220V circuit just to power them! This can be avoided with the newer Class D amps like Crown K1-K2, Peavy DSC, etc.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Actually NY_EE, a 220V circuit is not going to do anything for you; what you need are a pair (or more) of dedicated 20A 120V circuits on the same side of the electrical panel. Also, going class D is not going to reduce your power requirements at full blast; AC power in requirements will still be sky high at high volumes even though they may be lower at low power levels. Carver and Sunfire amps are also very efficient at lower power levels due to their multiple stepped power supply rails especially when compared to conventional power supplies.

4500W of output power is still going to require a similar amount of AC power to generate.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

HRDROKN

TFM-45

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:41 pm

Love the size of the room you have! How do you like the AL-III's? Did you have other speakers before to compare your thoughts?

One of my future projects will be to run dedicated 20 amp circuits......

:)
HRDROKN
MC-7P tube preanp, BBE2002R, Marchand XM44, TFM-35x .002, TFM-35x, M1.0t MKII .002, M500t, Silver 7t's, SDA-360 and Klipsch KLF-30's w/crites crossovers...
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:54 pm

OBI56 wrote:Actually NY_EE, a 220V circuit is not going to do anything for you; what you need are a pair (or more) of dedicated 20A 120V circuits on the same side of the electrical panel. Also, going class D is not going to reduce your power requirements at full blast; AC power in requirements will still be sky high at high volumes even though they may be lower at low power levels. Carver and Sunfire amps are also very efficient at lower power levels due to their multiple stepped power supply rails especially when compared to conventional power supplies.

4500W of output power is still going to require a similar amount of AC power to generate.

Your close OBI , at 2500 watts divided by 120 volts is 20 amps ( simple ohms law ) , , so at 80 % of a 20 amp breaker ( 16 amps ) she will trip . Even at the panel you have 2 phases , the left hand side ( odd #,s.....) right hand side ( even #,s ) So left hand side is A phase ( 120 V ) and the right is b phase ( 120 V )....should you add breakers, always even the load at A and B phase . 4500 watts = 37/2=18 amps = 2 , 20 amp breakers , one on A phase and the other on B phase . DEDICATED
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:16 pm

Steve thanks for the info, I didnt realize you had to balance each side of the panel, now that I think about it....it makes sense. Nice to have a electrician around!!

Perry
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:39 pm

stevewithrow wrote:
OBI56 wrote:Actually NY_EE, a 220V circuit is not going to do anything for you; what you need are a pair (or more) of dedicated 20A 120V circuits on the same side of the electrical panel. Also, going class D is not going to reduce your power requirements at full blast; AC power in requirements will still be sky high at high volumes even though they may be lower at low power levels. Carver and Sunfire amps are also very efficient at lower power levels due to their multiple stepped power supply rails especially when compared to conventional power supplies.

Your close OBI , at 2500 watts divided by 120 volts is 20 amps ( simple ohms law ) , , so at 80 % of a 20 amp breaker ( 16 amps ) she will trip . Even at the panel you have 2 phases , the left hand side ( odd #,s.....) right hand side ( even #,s ) So left hand side is A phase ( 120 V ) and the right is b phase ( 120 V )....should you add breakers, always even the load at A and B phase . 4500 watts = 37/2=18 amps = 2 , 20 amp breakers , one on A phase and the other on B phase . DEDICATED

Steve, that is what I had done when I installed my 2 new dedicated circuit breakers for my system. What happenned was that I got persistent hum problems due to ground loops. My electrician solved the problem by re-wiring both circuits tot hew same side of the panel but he did balance things out by moving another circuit side to side (fridge I think).

Point is, you should always use a certified electrician to do things like this as he will know how to do th9ings properly and safely. Also helps to tell him how you plan to use the extra circuits so he can move things around.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:01 am

OBI56 wrote:
stevewithrow wrote:

Steve, that is what I had done when I installed my 2 new dedicated circuit breakers for my system. What happenned was that I got persistent hum problems due to ground loops. My electrician solved the problem by re-wiring both circuits tot hew same side of the panel but he did balance things out by moving another circuit side to side (fridge I think).

Point is, you should always use a certified electrician to do things like this as he will know how to do th9ings properly and safely. Also helps to tell him how you plan to use the extra circuits so he can move things around.

I am a certified electrician in the state of Washington...... :-s ..And yes with out being there looking and testing your stuff , all I can do is give a little in site . But yes , use a qualified electrician . you didnt disclose why you would put booth breakers on one side , now that not always going to be the case either....but the bottom line A phase and B phase should have EVEN loads...
<<

NY_EE

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:36 am

Regarding power, thanks for all the advice. When I mentioned a 220V circuit I was half joking. I have dreamed of a Furman AR-PRO for a long time but the cost is too high.
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=AR-PRO

In real life I am an Electrical Engineer. I design substations and power systems for utilities and industrial companies.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:59 am

NY_EE wrote:Regarding power, thanks for all the advice. When I mentioned a 220V circuit I was half joking. I have dreamed of a Furman AR-PRO for a long time but the cost is too high.
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=AR-PRO

In real life I am an Electrical Engineer. I design substations and power systems for utilities and industrial companies.

You have a great job NY_EE....I also have some Furman stuff , I like the one your looking at , especially the purple disconnect handle on the front.....That would be the ticket for you ( 2 of em )... :shock:
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:05 am

Does Furman make anything with a voltage regulator & power conditioner in one unit?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:34 am

TNRabbit wrote:Does Furman make anything with a voltage regulator & power conditioner in one unit?

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php? ... d=SERIES_i

I use this one for all my non amp stuff ( dbx , BBE , Sunfire TGP ect....) Then I use my monster Power for my amps...

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=M-8Dx
Next

Return to List / Update Your System