FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:00 pm

Bloozestringer's Stuff

<<

Bloozestringer

Newbie 50+

Post Mon May 11, 2009 7:54 pm

Bloozestringer's Stuff

Here's a few pics of the gear I've got. Carver is in the rack as I've moved it for this pic. It's going back in rotation once the knobs get here.

Bottlehead Seduction:

AbraxasAudio 12B4 SET:

DIY 1626 Darling:

DIY SOHA Headphone Amp:

Klipsch Heresy, DIY ART Arrays, Kenwood KA6100/KT5500 and Pioneer PD-5010 in cabinet.

All the stuff in the rack: NAD C320BEE, NAD C521BEE, Realistic CD-2300, Abraxas 12B4, Seduction, Carver 900, Technics SL-5, SOHA---Polk Monitor 5B's, 1626 amp on the floor.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Mon May 11, 2009 8:04 pm

Re: Bloozestringer's Stuff

Very , very nice...welcome to the forum...
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 pm

Very nice!......Looks like you have been busy

Is that the same darling I saw for sale the other day?

How do you like the ART array....I've seen some positive feedback on them.

I've a couple sets of arrays myself...... :D

Perry
<<

Bloozestringer

Newbie 50+

Post Mon May 11, 2009 8:22 pm

PDR wrote:Very nice!......Looks like you have been busy

Is that the same darling I saw for sale the other day?

How do you like the ART array....I've seen some positive feedback on them.

I've a couple sets of arrays myself...... :D

Perry

I've been busy. I've got a set of Pi Two Towers as well. And Richard Gray preamp I need to get all put together.

I finished the Darling several months ago and don't think I'll ever sell it. I do need to tweak the cathode resistor though. It's pulling a little too much current.

I like the ART array. It's really a great speaker for what it costs. I've got around $400 in them. Get them out away from the wall and spaced out and they sound quite nice. They don't compare to a true line array like a Selah or Jim Griffen, etc..... but they weren't designed to either. What's nice is they are fairly efficient, produce good solid bass, and have good imaging. I've heard production speakers at 4X the cost that didn't sound as nice to me.

Shane
<<

Bloozestringer

Newbie 50+

Post Mon May 11, 2009 8:30 pm

stevewithrow wrote:Very , very nice...welcome to the forum...

Thanks.

It's all very mid/lo-fi, but it's treated me well over the years.

I inherited the Kenwood amp and Realistic CDP from my Grandfather. The Technics was a hand-me-down gift from my Aunt.

I remember when I bought the Carver/Polks combo. I come from a very small town of about 700 people and everyone thought I was crazy. Stereo comes from a boombox. All I had to do was set them down and watch their jaws hit the floor. It was endless amusement. I was fortunate to have a teacher that had a set of Klipsch Belle's and Marantz gear which was my first real taste of good sound.

I need a decent turntable, though. Oh, and maybe a C-1 and poweramp over the next year.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue May 12, 2009 4:40 am

Love the tube gear. Sweet.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue May 12, 2009 9:20 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed May 13, 2009 2:10 am

VERY nice~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Bloozestringer

Newbie 50+

Post Wed May 13, 2009 7:54 am

Thanks guys!

I need to finish my tube pre so I can run it to one of the tube amps.

I've got a prototype Cavalli Stacker II headphone amp I need to case up as well.

Too many projects and not enough time. :lol:
<<

SteveFord

SILVER-7t

Post Thu May 14, 2009 6:58 am

How do you like the headphone amp?
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's
<<

Bloozestringer

Newbie 50+

Post Thu May 14, 2009 8:08 am

SteveFord wrote:How do you like the headphone amp?

I like the SOHA amp. Mine is one of the very first built and as such I built it point to point. Later ones came out on PCB, but they had a little trouble with them. Newer versions have better buffers, but I've never heard one.

I've built a Millett Hybrid as well and liked it a lot, but the SOHA seemed to me to give me a better midrange which I liked. I've not heard a Millett MAX, but have PCB's to make a couple. Heck, I still have a couple of PCB's and a built buffer board for the 2nd generation Millett Hybrid.

Here's my website with pics on it:
http://pedalforroses.homestead.com/Headphoneamps.html

The Stacker II I'm in the process of prototyping blows either out of the water by a mile so far. One thing about it though is it is very revealing of poor sources or source material. OTOH, you can tube roll octals or 9-pins of many different types thru it. Hopefully we'll have that done this summer. I really like all the Cavalli Audio stuff I've heard or built so I'm somewhat biased.

http://cavalliaudio.com/
http://www.diyforums.org/MAX/MAXoverview.php
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu May 14, 2009 11:27 am

Zowie....."Tom Swift and his Electric Radio"..... :lol:

Along those lines I bet you'd LOVE this book that my daughter picked up at estate sale: "Elements of Radio" (published in 1943 with "confidential" stamped all over it probably due to its war related content!). It covers the development, design and function of EVERY type of tube that you can imagine, with the how's and why's of each design. Covers tuner circuts, push-pull, superhetrodyn receivers (never knew what that meant. Now I do!), crystal sets (EXACTLY how they "work"!), meters, audio amps (tube of course!), radio frequency amps, how navigation is done using directional (and "sense of direction" - big difference!) antenna's, the how/why of using transformers to connect antenna to tuning circuts or coupling between amp stages, etc., etc. (for example), battery development, magnetism (all at the electron level!). Very detailed informative stuff! Even has a chapter on that "new fangled" TV stuff (i.e., cathode ray tube) that everyone is talking about (again at a very detailed electon/ion level!). Perhaps I'll try and scan the table of contents and post and if anyone interested in any particular chapter I can scan/post that as well...

Ed
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

SteveFord

SILVER-7t

Post Fri May 15, 2009 7:24 pm

Have you had a chance to compare those headphone amps with one of the WooAudio 6s? That's kind of what I'm in the market for next.
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri May 15, 2009 7:38 pm

I'm curious — do you build your own boxes? Those are pretty.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Bloozestringer

Newbie 50+

Post Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 pm

SteveFord wrote:Have you had a chance to compare those headphone amps with one of the WooAudio 6s? That's kind of what I'm in the market for next.

I've never heard a commercial amp. Sorry. All mine are DIY. Run on over to Headwize or Head-Fi and I'm sure there are people who have.
Next

Return to List / Update Your System