FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Falcon91Wolvrn03 Introduction

<<

Falcon91Wolvrn03

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:14 am

Falcon91Wolvrn03 Introduction

Hello everyone!

I am new to this board and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a huge Carver fan, as I've owned a Carver system since 1991 to include the following components:

Carver SD/A 490t Reference CD Player
Carver TX-11b AM/FM Tuner (for sale)
Carver C-19 Reference Preamplifier (for sale)
Carver Silver-Nine-t Reference Amplifiers
Apogee Acoustics Centaurus Major ribbon loudspeakers
Carver DPL-33 Dolby Pro Logic Surround Decoder (for sale)
Carver Av-64 3/4 Channel Amplifier (for sale)
ADS L400 Rear Speakers (selling soon)

About 15 years ago, I tried to upgrade my $700 Carver CD player, and took home a $1,500 player to compare it with (I don't recall the brand), but it didn't come close to the Carver. Then I tried a $3,000 player, which came closer, but still didn't beat the Carver. I couldn't afford anything better, so Carver made a true believer out of me. And the Silver-Nine-t Amplifiers are amazing; they too sound better than amplifiers costing many times more.

I later discovered that I could get the best possible sound out of my CDs if I connected the CD player directly to the Amplifiers, without going through my pre-amp. I liked that setup so much, that that's the way my system's been ever since. As a result, I've now decided to sell my sell my tuner, pre-amp, and surround equipment, since I haven't been using them due to my "no preamp" setup. I just posted information about these under "Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies".

About a year ago, my CD player started skipping, so I took it into a repair shop, but they were unable to fix it. Sadly, I threw it out, and now that I've discovered these boards, I highly regret that decision. I'm guessing there are people here who may have been able to help me fix it (ugh!), or at the very least could have used spare parts (my apologies).

Until I get enough money to buy another quality CD player, I'm running my iPod through my Silver-Nine-t's (that's really sad, isn't it? It's a FAR cry from the SD/A 490t).

Anyway, that's my Carver background in a nutshell. I appreciate a forum with fellow Carver fans!!!
Carver SD/A-490t CD Player (broke - temporarily replaced with iPod)
Carver Silver-Nine-t Amplifiers
Apogee Centaur Major Loudspeakers
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:13 am

Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03 Introduction

WELCOME~

...and...

I CANNOT believe you threw away an SD/A-490t!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Falcon91Wolvrn03

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:57 am

TNRabbit wrote:WELCOME~

...and...

I CANNOT believe you threw away an SD/A-490t!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nor can I. The repair person I dealt with spent hours trying to fix my CD player, and when he failed, I simply lost hope. I'm not a pack-rat, so I didn't want it taking up space in my garage, and I had no idea at the time that there was still such a Carver following. :(

Another (smaller) reason I threw it out is because the repair person said he swapped out some of the parts with non-Carver substitutes, and I wasn't sure if I still had the "same quality" CD player. At least I still have my Silver-Nine-t amplifiers; those are simply AMAZING with my ribbon loudspeakers.

I can't wait for my next CD player; right now it's between a used Carver SD/A-490t and the new Sony SCD-XA5400ES, which is supposedly even better than their SCD-XA9000ES, which has many fantastic reviews (Stereophile magazine classified it as a "Class A" CD player, which is usually for $20k players). Of course, I still have to listen to it on my system.
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:48 am

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you tossed the 490t. Even broken ones are worth up to $200 as long as they are clean. #-o #-o
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:46 am

Welcome Falcon91Wolvrn03 . Great gear.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Welcome Falcon! and thank you for the introduction with some history added, enjoyed reading your into. If your looking for a CD player as I was a few months back, I ended up getting the Jolida 100 that was also recommended from the members here. There are a few members that have this player. I found this on AudioGon with the mini mod. There are a few mods that are done on these. I am very impressed with this player having a tube output stage, really it sounds Awesome! anyway, welcome again to the forum, glad you found us. And yes, bummer about the Carver CD player, but we have all tossed something in our life we regret, ha. ;)
<<

Falcon91Wolvrn03

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:26 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. The price of the Jolida JD 100A seems very reasonable (~$900), so I'd like to give it an audition. I e-mailed the company to see if they have any dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I'll have to save some money before I can buy a replacement CD player though. :-({|=
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Welcome Falcon,

Your system looks nice, I was looking for a Carver 490t, cold no find one
ended up purchasing the Grant Fidelity CD-327a tubed player. With the
TJ full music tubes, its not bad, close to a 490t, but I think the Carver is the winner.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Falcon91Wolvrn03 wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. The price of the Jolida JD 100A seems very reasonable (~$900), so I'd like to give it an audition. I e-mailed the company to see if they have any dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I'll have to save some money before I can buy a replacement CD player though. :-({|=

I don't know if I would buy new (Jolida 100) for one reason. The new players are factory with no mods, but you can purchase with the mods installed but the price is up there. There are if I remember correctly, the mini mod, level 1, and level 2. You want to look for at least mod 1 and done by Partsconnexion. Link to site, scroll down about 2/3 of the page to see the Jolida 100 mod.
http://www.underwoodhifi.com/mod_jolida ... -JD1-43690

You can find good used ones with the modifications already done. I paid $700.00 for mine with the mini mod > and actually that was a little high, but trusted the seller and unit was like brand new! I notice now the price of these has gone up, so maybe my purchase at the time was not to bad compared to now. These units go fast! Just keep your eyes open. Good luck
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:29 pm

Welcome to the forum. The Jolida will do you fine and will be better [technology] than the SDA 490t, stock. Just roll some tubes as the stock tubes suck. From the sounds of things, it seems as though you have a good ear. I like nothing more than that kind of fella to talk too.

We'll see ya' 'round campus chief.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:34 pm

treitz3 is correct, I rolled a few tubes and ended up with Sovtek 12AX7LPS that really brought out the bass > I like!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 pm

The Sovteks are sweet but for my rig I have found that the Ei Gold pin 12AX7's sound just a notch above for the Jolida. They are hard to come by, mind you.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Falcon91Wolvrn03

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:33 am

Thanks again for the CD player advice. I've been out of the high-end market for a while now as my Carver system has performed tremendously up until the CD player started skipping, so I'm not back up to speed yet on the latest equipment.

I just need to figure out how to audition the recommendations. The San Francisco Bay Area is probably a good place to find high-end equipment, although it appears none of the posters in this thread are from here.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Welcome and nice ass system!!!! WHERE YOU BEEN???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Falcon, you got a budget in mind for a new CDP?

Next

Return to List / Update Your System