FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:42 pm

Carver PM 350 loud humming fan

<<

Eric

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Carver PM 350 loud humming fan

I am a mobile DJ and I use a Carver PM 350 to drive Sonic EV top speakers and I use a Carver PM 1200 to drive my Sonic EV bottom speakers. I have owned these amps for over 15 years and I have pounded on them pretty hard. Recently, the fan on my Carver PM 350 started humming and vibrating REALLY BAD. I actually had to disconnect it to finish my last gig and use the PM 1200 to drive all 4 speakers. I took my Carver PM 350 in for repairs and they told me it was "not cost efficient to repair". They said the senser/transformer that tells the fan to turn on and off is bad... They suggested that I replace this with a Crown xls 2000 ($425.00) instead of repairing the Carver. I am worried about the compatibility of my Carver PM 1200 and a Crown operating together? What do you think I should do? Will these two operate together?
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Re: Carver PM 350 loud humming fan

Two things you can do...1.) spray the bearings of the fan down with penetrating oil and that will stop alot of the noise for a while 2.) disconnect and remove the fan and get an external computer fan of similar cfm and adapt it to provide ventilation into the cabinet. Good luck!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:38 am

Re: Carver PM 350 loud humming fan

Eric wrote:I am a mobile DJ and I use a Carver PM 350 to drive Sonic EV top speakers and I use a Carver PM 1200 to drive my Sonic EV bottom speakers. I have owned these amps for over 15 years and I have pounded on them pretty hard. Recently, the fan on my Carver PM 350 started humming and vibrating REALLY BAD. I actually had to disconnect it to finish my last gig and use the PM 1200 to drive all 4 speakers. I took my Carver PM 350 in for repairs and they told me it was "not cost efficient to repair". They said the senser/transformer that tells the fan to turn on and off is bad... They suggested that I replace this with a Crown xls 2000 ($425.00) instead of repairing the Carver. I am worried about the compatibility of my Carver PM 1200 and a Crown operating together? What do you think I should do? Will these two operate together?

Fuck a crown xls2000. I have two xls802's I think that's the model. 800 watts per side, and when you get it rocking it overheats. Really small heatsinks. Recently, one of the two fans is acting up and a bearing failure is eminent. And oh yeah, I thought it was a great deal at 300 per amp new. Msrp was i think at 1000. Well, I got what I paid for. Those are not the crown amps that made them famous that are made in the USA. These are the entry level crap coming from china. So with all that said, I would and could sell you a crown or two if you like. 300 shipped each.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

Return to Carver Pro