IS ANALOG DEAD --

Vinyl Discussion
OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

IS ANALOG DEAD --

Post by OconeeOrange » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:31 pm

Music was forever changed in 1983. Up to that year we had lived in a digital-audio-free world, where musicians and the music industry flourished in a state of pure analog bliss. Vast numbers of people actually listened to music--without doing anything else--on a regular basis.

An analog recording corresponds the variations in air pressure of the original sound. A digital recording is a series of numbers that correspond to the sound's continuous variations, but the numbers have to be reconverted to analog signals before they can be listened to. No wonder analog and digital sound so different from each other.

I'm not going to argue that analog is, or will ever be more popular than digital. Or cheaper, or more convenient, easier to use, more durable or that analog will reverse male pattern baldness. Analog just sounds better than digital. Listening to a well-recorded LP, you hear humans making music; with digital it's more about sound for sound's sake.

I'm defining better as more enjoyable to listen to. Music isn't a test tone or just a sequence of numbers. It's about soul, and when the music's good, it's supposed to connect with people, get their juices flowing or get them up on their feet and dancing. Analog-sourced music does that stuff better than digital. That's my opinion, though I'll readily concede that digital recording creams analog on almost every type of measurable distortion and noise specification. Digital ought to sound better than analog, and I have no idea why it doesn't.

But even the most devoted digital disciple will have to concede that analog hasn't shriveled up and died in the nearly three decades since the CD debuted in 1983. There's a never-ending stream of new turntables and phono cartridges from mainstream and high-end manufacturers on the market. Somebody's buying this stuff.

If analog's naysayers would like to think vinyl's appeal is strictly limited to aging baby boomers living in the past, they're in for a rude awakening. There's an ongoing flood of new LP releases (Amazon currently lists 938,000 LP titles). Kings of Leon, Taylor Swift, Nine Inch Nails, and Kanye West all have their latest releases available on LP. Sad to say, only a small minority of the people who grew up in a (nearly) all-digital world are turned on by analog's sounds.

So if you really love listening to music--not just as background sound to accompany work, exercise, or driving--but if you love music enough to give it your undivided attention, then analog ought to be worth checking out. There's something going on; do you know what it is?
Steve Guttenberg

=========================

Guttenberg seems to be brainless most times, but puts up interesting topics.
The best reading is of course is in the comments from people who agree or can set the record straight. Its seems there are a lot of audio experts who have opinions and neglect to post on Carver. ](*,)

To read the comments if this interest you ->
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20024387-47.html

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: IS ANALOG DEAD --

Post by elgrau » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:00 pm

I say he's basically full of shit. Just one for instance: he says "An analog recording corresponds the variations in air pressure of the original sound". If you were to lay a good analog signal that's been reconstructed from digital source (i.e., the output of a high end digital to ANALOG converter) on top of an analog signal from the output of a phono cartridge, they'd be virtually no VISUAL difference. However, NEITHER will EVER 100% correspond to "the variations in air pressure of the original sound" (except possibly at that one location that the recording mic was at). As to "enjoyment" of the music you can achieve this with either high end digital OR high end analog. Many other factors in enjoyment of music are more important (your amp = tube or SS, your speakers, your ears, your attitude, your room "ambiance", your mental state, what kind of chemicals are floating around in your brain (good or bad), whether you even know HOW to enjoy the music or just constantly obsess about stupid things like analog vs digital BS etc., etc. while pretending to listen).
And I see basically no more or fewer music lovers today (young and old) percentage wise of population as I did ~40 years ago in 60's and later. Mahalo!
Last edited by elgrau on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:49 pm

I did say the guy was brainless - the info is in the "comments" from guys like yourself.

Most people see digital as just Cds, not true as unconverted analog is seldom heard these days.
I remember when CDs hit. I bought a used CD player from a pawn Shop - think I paid about a million dollars for it - still have it.
We were all amazed at the clarity of it. I had the player, could not afford many CDs, just like when I got a stereo for Christmas as a kid and had no money for records.

Most times now I play digital as the convenience is there. I have over 20k favorite songs that I can access anywhere, even on my boat or a hotel room in your town.. List and album covers, even lyrics just pop up - I like that. :lol:
The sound is great.

Still, I find when in my RedNeck bar and put on an LP, I listen more, hear more -> it is just better, even though my system there is less-
Carver pre
Carver sub
Carver amp
Polk Lsi -7

Damned, don't need to push LPs - the news here is that ->

elgrau is back posting on audio \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Merry Christmas

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:04 pm

IMO, the difference in MOST digital & analog recordings is that MOST folks don't know HOW to make a good digital recording.

For example, Steve Ford sent around several CDs made from LP, Gold CDs, etc. of "Blow by Blow" and a couple of other recordings. Someone also (Steve?) sent around a digital & analog (LP) recording of 10 cc this past year. The delicacies of the LP WERE THERE in the recording made to CD. I find it to be a certain sort of "presence" or "depth" in the LP recordings. Perhaps I'm a fool & it's just an artifact of a TERRIBLE recording medium (read what Frank Zappa had to say about vinyl recording here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7463&p=81943&hilit ... +lp#p81943 )

Either way, I think there's a whole new world of recorders out there who don't know WTF they are doing. 8)
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:28 pm

I read an article once about a couple of guys who tried to test it out for themselves. I can't find the article but basically one of them played an instrument and the other recorded digitally and analog then they listened to both recordings. Right away they both liked the analog better hands down but when they replayed the instrument again it was clear that the digital recording was the most accurate replication of the actual instrument. The point they ended up making was accurate wasn't always better or more enjoyable. Anyway, sorry, I'm no expert on any of this and I know this is rather vague, I'll look some more for the actual article and post it when I find it.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:36 pm

I suspect part of the issue is we don't have sufficiently FAST sampling rate to reach the same level you get with analog. There's a LOT about human hearing we don't know.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

mbskeam
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by mbskeam » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:03 pm

like fingerprints, everybodys hearing is different.....
some like there music to sound cold and sterile,
or warm and fuzzy,
when I listen to Holts, planets.
one on CD the other on vinyl...
the record,(analog) sounds better at least to me, not that the CD is bad, it just doesn't have that xtra something that digital takes away from, or adds too
to me it's probably so accurate that our hearing cant handle the preciseness of digital....
Bob talks about the way we hear, and how our brain likes a bit of (We'll call it distortion) (not the correct term, but its all I could think of that we ALL can hear and understand)
to have it sound good to us....
is vinyl dead,....
naw,... its just been talkin a nap, and maybe it's wakin up,...
it has for me......
Mbskeam

SILVER 7's
Amazing Line Source
2 SVS PB16 SUBS
#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
WTL Amadeus GTA+DV DRT XV-1t
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:18 pm

This kind of reminds me of another article I read about a guy who had a set of klipsch chorus speakers that he really enjoyed. Just for fun he used a time and phase analyzer to see how "correct" they were and discovered they were way off. He could only imagine how much better they would sound if they were aligned properly so he spent a couple days tweaking and retesting them to get it right. Once he was finished and they were perfect on his scope, they sounded like ass!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

Return to “Vinyl”