Correct Way To Clean Vinyl

Vinyl Discussion
TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Correct Way To Clean Vinyl

Post by TNRabbit » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Back in the day, (a Wednesday) I used to piss on them then scrub vigorously in a clockwise motion (thanks, Frank) with the hair of my ballsack for 7 revolutions, followed by gentle counterclockwise drying action with my girlfriends panties (while she was wearing them) until shiny.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:34 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Back in the day, (a Wednesday) I used to piss on them then scrub vigorously in a clockwise motion (thanks, Frank) with the hair of my ballsack for 7 revolutions, followed by gentle counterclockwise drying action with my girlfriends panties (while she was wearing them) until shiny.
Yea, that is what I am looking for.
Tn has the "science" side of it down - now we need to hear from the "VooDoo" guys.

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:49 pm

I love vinyl....that said...I'd agree with Jesse... :-k
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:50 am

Gentlemen, here's what I have come up with. I clean my records prior to every use, whether or not they are brand new or not with noticeable improvements nearly every time.

What I do is put the LP's in my NG dual sided cleaning machine, pump until the distilled water or NG solution completely covers the grooves and let spin for 15-20 revolutions, vacuum for 5 revolutions.

Taking the pre-heated "Shark" steam cleaner [using distilled water] with a 45 degree tip, I angle the Shark with the direction [vacuum still on] the LP is spinning at a distance of about 3-4" away from the LP. I then repeat the same procedure, this time cleaning against the direction the LP is spinning [vacuum still on]. I then let the LP rotate a good twenty times or so until dry, removing the upper vacuum while still rotating instead of stopping the LP and giving a chance for any residual material left [on the first part of the felt that hits the LP during rotation] to imprint itself on the LP. I then vacuum the felt on the top and bottom to remove any residual foreign objects with a separate vacuum cleaner to prevent a buildup of foreign material on the felt itself.

The LP is ready to go after all shades of moisture present is gone. I lift the lid to the LP player, dip the needle onto a Mr. Magic pad, install the clamp and play away.

After my listening session ends for the day, I take the air compressor and completely blow off all areas on, beneath, around the LP player, close the lid and proceed to blow off the entire rig. After all of the dust settles down, I blow just the platter area once more, just to be sure, and close the lid.

This has been the best method I have come up with using what I currently know about LP cleaning. I feel I don't need a static gun because the LP's look as if they were just pressed, allowed to cool in a dust free chamber and handed to me.

I'm working on the design of an LP cleaner that trumps what I currently have but the development is slow going and will most likely take years. It will end up being the best LP cleaner on the market and will include an anti-static device and built in steam cleaning technology in an all-in one chassis. It will also not be as loud as the ones I have used or seen in use and it will not be cheap.

Personally, I wouldn't use a microfiber towel on any LP. It adds static and will deposit micro sized deposits within the grooves. Even if and sometimes especially if the towel is new. BTW, OO....congrat's on the NG. I have no idea how you would do this the way I do, since your NG cleans the bottom of the LP only [as I understand it].
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:38 pm

I just read in an audio-video forum where some swear by Scrubbing Bubbles. They claim it really gets the crap out.
Scrubbing-Bubbles2.jpg
Scrubbing-Bubbles2.jpg (25.72 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
Scrubbing-Bubbles.jpg
Scrubbing-Bubbles.jpg (51.37 KiB) Viewed 2548 times

basspig
TFM-6cb

Post by basspig » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:32 pm

I had good success with spraying on malealuca-based cleaner, then spinning the record under a stream of 70°F water. I managed to restore a record that had such extreme surface noise, to total silence.. there were two very minor clicks during the entire side of the record after cleaning. The music emerged on a background of blackness. Prior to cleaning, I thought the record was a goner.
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 watts of driving surround sound!

Business sites at:
http://www.ampexperts.com
http://www.mwhdvideo.com
-

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:47 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:I just read in an audio-video forum where some swear by Scrubbing Bubbles. They claim it really gets the crap out.
Personally, I'm a bit leary of introducing chemicals to an LP. I have heard of the Elmer's glue thing and I have also heard a plethora of concoctions to clean with as well. Never tried any of them, so I can not comment.

Seeing as how Mark had an LP that he thought was a goner, I'd try what he did. Speaking of Mark, what kind of cleaner is that? I don't recall ever hearing or reading about a malealuca-based product. I don't even know what it is, to be honest.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

basspig
TFM-6cb

Post by basspig » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:41 am

treitz3 wrote:
OconeeOrange wrote: Seeing as how Mark had an LP that he thought was a goner, I'd try what he did. Speaking of Mark, what kind of cleaner is that? I don't recall ever hearing or reading about a malealuca-based product. I don't even know what it is, to be honest.
The product is called Sol-u-Guard

Google reports:
http://www.saferforyourhome.com/sol-u-guard.htm

It works well as a general purpose and GENTLE cleaner, so I tried it on LPs and got better than expected results. It's natural composition makes it benign to vinyl records.

The important thing is to get the water temperature neutral/ambient, or the record will warp.
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 watts of driving surround sound!

Business sites at:
http://www.ampexperts.com
http://www.mwhdvideo.com
-

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:03 pm

Mo-fi has some very good solution that requires no rinsing,, they also have a solution that is good at removing any mold/fungus/crud too,,I've used them for about a year and compared to my previous method,I'd say that they are better than my Tergitol solution.YMMV.Good luck,,happy listening.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm

When I had vinyl, I cleaned them with Yak urine blessed by Buddhist monks.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:58 pm

F1nut wrote:When I had vinyl, I cleaned them with Yak urine blessed by Buddhist monks.
In some circles, I am known as a Yak, and I've blessed by a non-denominational pastor; does that count?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Now that just pisses me off. :lol:
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:28 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

Zoot Horn
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Zoot Horn » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:21 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
F1nut wrote:When I had vinyl, I cleaned them with Yak urine blessed by Buddhist monks.
In some circles, I am known as a Yak, and I've blessed by a non-denominational pastor; does that count?

Libertines O:)

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:40 pm

I started this thread asking for help to upgrade my TT, and you guys came through.

The Nitty Gritty has proved to excellent. My records are mostly in good shape with just a pizza splatter here and there. :lol:

So far I am doing the below with exceptional results as there are now no cracks and pops. My LPs are as clear as my CDs, and sound better. To that end, when you think about it, the money you save on a mid level DAC can be used to upgrade LP systems as DACs are not needed.

I might get a better routine as I learn, but I have to say, this is working well for me.

My NG came with about 16 oz of NG cleaner. My records are mostly in good shape, so I dumped that in my wort tub with a gallon of distilled water, a quart of 91% alcohol, and a few drops of Jet Dry. I stirred it up and put some in a good spray bottle set to near stream.

I scrub both sides, vacuum, and then from another spray bottle do a rinse with clean distilled water. The spray is quick and easy, and easy to keep off the label.

I gotta say - this has changed my LPs.

Thanks again.

OO

Return to “Vinyl”