Vinyl Discussion
TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Correct Way To Clean Vinyl

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:12 am

YAY! =D> =D> =D> =D>
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

stereo_buff
TFM-55

Post by stereo_buff » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:05 am

I have used a VPI 16.5 for nigh on 15 years now, employing various cleaning agents. Currently, I am using the Disc Doctor's QuickWash Record Cleaning solution for everyday cleaning, and the Disc Doctor's Miracle Record Cleaner for heavy jobs. (The QuickWash solution need not be rinsed with distilled water following cleaning; the Miracle Record Cleaner must be.) I use the Disc Doctor's Miracle Record Brush, Made in the USA. (Though the Mobile Fidelity brush looks similar, it is actually a cheap knock-off made in China, and doesn't work nearly as good.)

Referring to the comment about using Elmer's glue to clean records, it isn't Elmer's (the name of the glue escapes me now), but there is a YouTube video of some dude actually smearing his LPs with this glue, allowing it to dry, then peeling it off. Not something I'm going to do! A quick search of YouTube will likely find it.

Generally speaking, I am not quite as anal as treitz3, as I don't clean my records every time, only initially when it arrives in my possession, with a few exceptions. Following the cleaning regimen, I use an AudioQuest carbon fiber brush to remove the dust and other particles prior to each subsequent playing.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re:

Post by OconeeOrange » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:16 pm

treitz3 wrote:
Taking the pre-heated "Shark" steam cleaner [using distilled water] with a 45 degree tip, I angle the Shark with the direction [vacuum still on] the LP is spinning at a distance of about 3-4" away from the LP. I then repeat the same procedure, this time cleaning against the direction the LP is spinning [vacuum still on].
WOO HOO !!!!

The mailman just delivered my SHARK.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

There is a used REGA P3 - 24 on ebay that is still at a reasonable price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

There is also one that looks good on Audigon, higher but with extras like the power supply.

Any comments/advice ?

Maybe we need a vinyl section here.
Last night I read Doug's posts over on some other forum about his DUAL.
If I can find it again, maybe I just need to join that until Bob gets around to making us a TT. :)

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Bill, just be sure not to get too close and try your best not to let solid drips get to the vinyl. If you are uncomfortable doing it at first, stem clean the LP right at the area that is about to be vacuumed up. Let us know how it works for you and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Re: Re:

Post by Mr. M-500t » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:00 am

OconeeOrange wrote:
treitz3 wrote:
Taking the pre-heated "Shark" steam cleaner [using distilled water] with a 45 degree tip, I angle the Shark with the direction [vacuum still on] the LP is spinning at a distance of about 3-4" away from the LP. I then repeat the same procedure, this time cleaning against the direction the LP is spinning [vacuum still on].
WOO HOO !!!!

The mailman just delivered my SHARK.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

There is a used REGA P3 - 24 on ebay that is still at a reasonable price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

There is also one that looks good on Audigon, higher but with extras like the power supply.

Any comments/advice ?

Maybe we need a vinyl section here.
Last night I read Doug's posts over on some other forum about his DUAL.
If I can find it again, maybe I just need to join that until Bob gets around to making us a TT. :)
Ain't gonna happen OO. I answered one of the Carver surveys back in 1991 about what products you'd like to see Carver Corp come out with next. A TT was my first choice. :( You know he could do it ! But at that time vinyl was on it's way out. A smart choice on Bobs part I guess ! O:)

Return to “Vinyl”