How to you clean your LPs?

Vinyl Discussion
aharitt
Newbie 50+

How to you clean your LPs?

Post by aharitt » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:41 pm

I have about 200 LPs. I haven not played them for 10 years, until I bought a turn table recently. Fortunately, most of them are still good to play. But some of them are very noisy. Also many of them have mark on it. I guess it is from inner sleeve.

How do you clean your LPs? I am considering to buy Phoenix Record Cleaning System for Vinyl on this page (http://www.sleevetown.com/vinyl-cleaning.shtml). But I want to check with you how you clean your vinyls.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Re: How to you clean your LPs?

Post by Dreamer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:01 am

That GemDandy cleaning rig looks pretty cool, but I am personally offended that they have the balls to charge $150 for a device that is essentially a "kitchen table" kludge of about $30 worth of off-the-shelf plumbing bits from Home Depot...

Although it looks like it WILL protect the center labels on your LPs, which, for some people is a REALLY big deal.

And compared to a VPI or Nitty Gritty machine, even $150 is a bargain.

Or you could DIY, and have essentially the same thing for about $30...

Or you could make one of these for less than $15.

http://vinylhive.com/groovmaster-label- ... l-records/

Not nearly as elegant, but it works like a charm. I've made several of these, and I LOVE them...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:03 am

I find the dishwasher works really well. Just don't the the "Sanitize" feature, or they end up looking like little flowers....

Not so good for receivers, unfortunately.

:lol:
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

aharitt
Newbie 50+

Post by aharitt » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:47 pm

Dreamer wrote: Or you could make one of these for less than $15.

http://vinylhive.com/groovmaster-label- ... l-records/

Not nearly as elegant, but it works like a charm. I've made several of these, and I LOVE them...

--Richard
I like this option. Thanks for the info :)

aharitt
Newbie 50+

Post by aharitt » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:50 pm

TNRabbit wrote:I find the dishwasher works really well.

I am not sure I would try my LPs in dishwasher ... If I make any mistake, it will be a mess. Well maybe I can try with one that I don't care much.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:58 pm

aharitt wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:I find the dishwasher works really well.

I am not sure I would try my LPs in dishwasher ... If I make any mistake, it will be a mess. Well maybe I can try with one that I don't care much.

JOKING~ :D
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

elgrau
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by elgrau » Fri May 01, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks, Dreamer; that's a keeper (DIY record cleaning "kit"). Something to do on a rainy day....oh, wait, it never rains in California! :lol: :lol:
FR: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
LR: AudioEngine wireless link from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 6.5" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-634x 3-4 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: 300 disk changer to Entech 202.5 DAC to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Fri May 01, 2009 11:51 am

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:21 am

I clean my records prior to every use, whether or not they are brand new or not with noticeable improvements nearly every time.

What I do is put the LP's in my NG dual sided cleaning machine, pump until the NG Pure 2 completely covers the grooves and let spin for 15-20 revolutions, vacuum for 5 revolutions.

Taking the pre-heated "Shark" steam cleaner [using distilled water] with a 45 degree tip, I angle the Shark with the direction [vacuum still on] the LP is spinning at a distance of about 3-4" the top and bottom of the LP. I then repeat the same procedure, this time cleaning against the direction the LP is spinning [vacuum still on]. I then let the LP rotate a good twenty times or so until dry, removing the LP while still rotating instead of stopping the LP and giving a chance for any residual material left [on the first part of the felt that hits the LP during rotation] to imprint itself on the LP. I then vacuum the felt on the top and bottom to remove any residual foreign objects with a separate vacuum cleaner after setting the LP on the record player and closing the lid.

After 15 or so minutes, the LP is ready to go. I lift the lid, dip the needle onto a Mr. Magic pad, install the clamp and play away.

After my listening session ends for the day, I take the air compressor and completely blow off all areas on, beneath, around the LP player, close the lid and proceed to blow off the entire rig. After all of the dust settles down, I blow just the platter area once more, just to be sure, and close the lid.

This has been the best method I have come up with using what I currently know about LP cleaning. I feel I don't need a static gun because the LP's look as if they were just pressed, allowed to cool in a dust free chamber and handed to me.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

beemers417
!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post by beemers417 » Tue May 05, 2009 6:41 pm

Are there any home brew solutions that can be used for cleaning with a simple Discwasher pad. 8-[ I ran out of the liquid years ago.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Wed May 06, 2009 9:41 pm

I've seen a lot of "recipes" on CP & AK . :)

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:53 am

Beemers and gdb, I used to have the home brew solutions on the 'pooter but the virus I had a while back wiped it out. Allow me to direct you to Joe [HearingImpaired] on the PF. He was the one I got it from. Though I'm still using the NG solution because I bought a shitload of it, Joe has had great results with his solution. You may want to get in touch with him.

Sorry I can't offer more, but after searching for a couple of hours that's the best I can offer unfortunately. :( In the meantime, I'll try to get up with him and find out for ya'. Good things come to those who wait. :D

Oh, and don't let the moniker fool ya'. He's as good as they come when it comes to vinyl.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

ferrari
TFM-35

Post by ferrari » Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi everyone, I have a special low pressure vacume cleaner type tool with a fine fine fine brush. It is7 inches wide and it works great. There is no dragging cleaners over the record. Have fun guys
Ferrariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
keep the faith my friends :)

dok
M-400t CUBE

Post by dok » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Just step up to the plate and buy a VPI!! It is the best Investment in your vinyl you will ever spend period. Ilove mine and have modified it and it works wonders on crappy vinyl.
I may not have it all together...But together we have it all!

cstmar01

Post by cstmar01 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:10 pm

dok wrote:Just step up to the plate and buy a VPI!! It is the best Investment in your vinyl you will ever spend period. Ilove mine and have modified it and it works wonders on crappy vinyl.
They are expensive but I've heard several great things about them. I personally use the intro cleaning kit with some D4 solution with a brush ect. Works ok but doesn't always get some of the really caked on stuff off. I would like to try the VPI one some day just a bit out of budget now.

Return to “Vinyl”