SACD vs CD's

CD / SACD Discussion
snarffydoggy
SILVER-7t

Re: SACD vs CD's

Post by snarffydoggy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 pm

I'm not into movies that much, so i'll probably go with the oppo 980HD for the price and even a couple hundred more i haven't found anything that had better reviews, especially the audio side of it, and that is what I'm interested in. Thanks everybody for all your input...
snarffydoggy

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:59 pm

You'll love it. And, you have the option to turn off the video DACs when you're using it for music only, which supposedly eliminates the interference they cause in audio-only playback. I got the 980H for the same reason - the video thing wasn't as important as the audio.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

maddmaxxx
(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post by maddmaxxx » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:09 pm

-had no idea there were that many dimeola sacd's...hmmmm

-hopefully mastered by him

-what about 'return to forever' sacd's ???
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:23 pm

None that I could find. Like Minds by Gary Burton, Chick Corea, Roy Haynes, Dave Holland and Pat Metheny is available from Amazon for only $12.97. The other Chick Corea SACDs (Rendezvous in New York and An Evening With Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea) are very spendy.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

maddmaxxx
(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post by maddmaxxx » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:36 pm

-thankyou mr billd

-i've boughten most of my sacd's from cd universe and eprey [only a dozen]

-the titles are still lacking for my taste [what i can find]

-hopefully a ton more bands get sacd'ized...nuth'in as far as 'my favorite bands' go, yeti

-just comercial succeses that i can not listen to anymore
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book

Mr. M-500t
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by Mr. M-500t » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:44 pm

Quote Mx, just commercial successes that i can not listen to anymore.

How come ? 8-[ :-"

maddmaxxx
(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post by maddmaxxx » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:49 pm

-lackluster musical talent
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:52 pm

maddmaxxx wrote:-lackluster musical talent
Your a hard man Mx ! :lol:

maddmaxxx
(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post by maddmaxxx » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:07 am

-taste ???
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:53 am

snarffydoggy wrote:I'm not into movies that much, so i'll probably go with the oppo 980HD for the price and even a couple hundred more i haven't found anything that had better reviews, especially the audio side of it, and that is what I'm interested in. Thanks everybody for all your input...
I'm telling ya that the Denon 2900 with a Musical Fidelity tube buffer sounds better or at least do what Richard does, run the Oppo to a good DAC for redbook.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

Mr. M-500t

Post by Mr. M-500t » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:11 am

maddmaxxx wrote:-taste ???
K :-#

robotczar

Post by robotczar » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:12 pm

As I am new, and this thread is stale. let me add my two cents:

Consider this article:

"Proven: Good Old Redbook CD Sounds the Same as the Hi-Rez Formats"

at The Audio Critic site ( http://www.theaudiocritic.com/plog/).

There is absolutely no scientific reason to think that SACD sounds better (or has the potential to do so). From a more practical perspective the way the recording is made would matter much more than the delivery medium in this case. From a skeptical (or paranoid) perspective, one can view the bit wasting formats as marketing/copy protection ploys--a way to resell discs (I prefer spending my money on remastered discs I love or new ones).

I don't want to start an argument, but that is my opinion and I am more that willing to hear alternatives, though "I heard a big difference" doesn't carry a lot of weight with me.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:15 pm

*GAME ON*
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

donwass65

Post by donwass65 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:37 pm

In regard to whether sacd sounds better than cd I have found that on certain discs it is easy to make this comparison. I myself have the Denon 2910 player and occasionally will play a hybrid disc though both the sacd and the redbook layer and compare the two. Sacd seems to have more openness or "air" to it. The Al DiMeola discs do sound wonderful but I think it has a lot to do with the recording technique since I've listened to it through sacd and i-tunes downloads and they both sound very crisp. I haven't really been able to tell much difference in any cd players sound versus another. Analog, however, is a different story. A mediocre turntable can sound as good or better than a good cd player while a great turntable will in most instances blow away any cd sound.
-Don

Carver M500t (2). Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp, Sunfire Signature 600, Carver CT-17, Carver TX-11A, Carver AV-505, Carver TL-3220, Thorens TD320 with AKG cartridge, JBL 120TI's, Vandersteen 2Wq Sub, Carver HR 752, Infinity Primus 250's, Denon DVD2910, Pioneer SX 1250 boat anchor, plus assorted odds and ends.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

I don't think so..........

Post by treitz3 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:42 pm

robotczar, welcome to the forum. Without clicking on to the Audio Critic link to see what they have to say, I'll outright dismiss whatever they have to say if they think SACD is the same as a redbook CD. I've dismissed other things they have said as well based upon my experience so this won't come as a surprise to me.

Let me tell you a little story that has been documented here and date stamped as to my ears leading me to SACD because of the sound before I even knew what the hell SACD was. This had nothing to do with marketing, hype or anything else and I heard it first on gear I wasn't too particularly pleased with.........but I knew I liked it. In a nutshell, here's what went down.

I was shopping for speakers about three years ago and while I was in Tweeter I went in to the main higher end dedicated audio room to audition some speakers that were out of my price range but I wanted to hear them anyway just for comparisons sake. It turned out that I did not like the speakers in that room but I did like the sound of the song that was one of the one's used to demo gear at that location. I liked the sound so much that I actually posted about it here on this forum. I had no idea who she was and I actually initially hated the song as well but damn, the sound was just ohhhhh so sweet.

When I posted about this song and how good it sounded, the forum members could not hone in on who it was exactly singing it and I assured another member that when I had the time, I would return to the store and figure out the song and what album that it was on. Well, it must have been about a month or more later when I finally had time to go back and find out who sang it and where I could get a copy.

Well, I did find the same CD again from my favorite salesman and asked if I could get some information off of it so that I could order the CD. It turned out that it was Rebecca Pidgeon singing a song called "Spanish Harlem" and that it was made by Chesky. So, I fly back home and update the thread letting everybody know who it was. Then I had troubles finding out where to get that particular CD, so I got back on the thread and asked folks where I could get a copy. A member linked me to an internet seller and they had "The World's Greatest Audiophile Recordings" which wasn't the album I was looking for, but at least it had the song I hated but wanted to hear again in my rig. Then I noticed that it was available only in SACD.

Great. ](*,) So, I got back onto the forum and actually posted the question "What is an SACD?". I had been out of audio for about a decade due to various reasons so all of this stuff was new to me. Well, didn't I feel like the donkey when I was educated as to what an SACD was but I knew I wanted it anyway and that I would just get an SACD player.

Alright, the story is over but the point is that my ears led me to SACD and not any magazine, marketing, sales pitch, peer pressure, word-of-mouth, article, billboard, recommendation or any other reason. The one and only reason was because of how it sounded and to do that on a song I hated initially? Now that's sayin' something.

Since then both my redbook, CD, HDCD, XRCD and SACD collections have grown. With the exception of bad original recordings that make the SACD sound like shit, I have yet to hear a redbook CD sound anywhere near the same as an SACD. There is more than just one factor about the sound improvements that I notice as well. Quite frankly, this is the very reason why I buy nearly every single SACD I can get my hands on, regardless of whether or not I even like the music. Why? The end result as to what hits my ears. In fact, I have posted and said this too many times to count........and I quote, "After listening to an SACD, I can't stand listening to a redbook CD afterward".
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Return to “CD / SACD”