Are you a CD junkie?

CD / SACD Discussion
rolereversal
TFM-25

Are you a CD junkie?

Post by rolereversal » Fri May 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Are you a CD junkie? I am.... always finding a reason to pick up few more CDs. :lol:
I just blew another 100 bucks on more....damn.
About six weeks ago I spent about 150.
Come on fess up so I don't feel it's just me! :lol:

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Re: Are you a CD junkie?

Post by treitz3 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:55 pm

Yes. I admit I'm a junkie. Just picked up about 6 or 7 SACD's and I forgot how many CD's within the last month, probably around 20. It's getting so bad that I have several multiple copies of the same exact album. Of course that's not uncommon for certain albums because I want to hear certain albums on every format and remastered releases I can get my hands on, but lately it's because I forget whether or not I have already purchased a certain album. I'm gonna have to start making a Master list with order #'s just so I don't keep repeating the purchase of the same albums.

You are most definitely not alone.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

dyeraudio
TFM-75

Post by dyeraudio » Fri May 30, 2008 8:47 pm

I have cured my CD spending by downloading my music from Isohunt... :-$ ....I have probably saved about $2000 in the past 3 months.....now I am just waiting for the dark-four door sedan to pull up...... :shock:
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Fri May 30, 2008 10:02 pm

My name is Richard, and I'm a CD Junkie...

("Hi Richard"...)

Now, where are the coffee and donuts? ;)

I went to the local library yesterday to get my new Library card, and much to my surprise, the libraries here in Fayetteville have a REALLY good selection of GOOD music on CD to check out. I got three jazz/blues CDs, and I'm looking forward to getting them ripped into iTunes. If I REALLY like them, I'll probably go buy them. What a GREAT way to audition music. I think I'll do this for EVERY new "rock" or "pop" recording that gets recommended--I've got burned on a few recently (Amy Winehouse, and Patricia Barber, to be specific) before buying--test drive the disc, to see if it's worth shelling out the full retail price...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

tomstat
SILVER-7t

Post by tomstat » Sat May 31, 2008 12:39 am

Used to be a CD junkie but lost hundreds back in '90 due to unfortunate events that occurred around that time. Around 2000 I started replacing the ones that meant the most to me, some of them very hard to find. Only have about 200 now but the first thing I do when picking up a new CD is ripping a backup "just in case."
ImageImage

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Sat May 31, 2008 6:59 am

I own about 600 CD/SACDs, and another 600 or so DVDs. Like Tom, I've ordered the same damn CD a few times only to find I already had it! One that I've probably ordered 6 copies of, and my current favorite, is Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go"....it's outstanding.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

SteveFord
SILVER-7t

Post by SteveFord » Sat May 31, 2008 9:04 am

I have a few. The HHb BurnIt Plus is a real good unit for transferring over albums or duplicating protected CDs.
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's

Reese
TFM-75

Post by Reese » Sat May 31, 2008 9:19 am

OK, I'm mostly a classical music collector -- and that sort of involves a "collection" plan, I guess. I have a large opera CD collection, deliberately stocked through record/music stores and on-line purchases and wish lists. All in the name of filling in the gaps in recordings of my favorite composers works. I've spent $150-200 a crack on Amazon and its vendors' sites now and then -- or order one or two at a time when I'm more in control! lol

Other types of music - I've enjoyed hearing this or that and may jot down a title if the announcer mentions it or if a friend has a CD playing that I like, I'll take note of the artist/title, etc. But not being really "up" on popular music, dance, R&B, etc. - I've no clue if I walk into a music store and look at the bewildering sea of CDs to go through without any inkling of who the artists are, if the music is any "good", whether I'd like to buy the recording, etc. I guess that's why the used CD business started up -- disappointed buyers selling back at a discount. Or maybe because CDs can be transferred or copied, people are just turning them over to recover a little bit and buy some more, and on and on.

I'll say that I've copied some of my CDs for an extra copy for the car; I've transferred some to my iTunes for listening at the computer or put some on an iPod for portable use. But I hear that may be legally supportable since I bought the CD originally, it's mine to copy for my own use/for back-up, etc.
Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought -- JFK

Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver c-19 tube pre;
Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

rolereversal
TFM-25

Post by rolereversal » Sat May 31, 2008 3:02 pm

Great to know I am not alone.
Hmmmm... burn em......I do like to have the cover and insert from a bought CD.
I just have not yet to hear a good burn program, or perhaps the cds themselves are of different quality?
When burning do you burn at 1x the speed? Or a faster rate, fi so any difference in sound?
There seems to be a difference in sound to me, plus I like to support the group (or the record company). :lol:

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Sat May 31, 2008 4:22 pm

If done correctly, the burn should be bit-perfect. It doesn't matter the burn speed as long as all the 1s and 0s are replicated accurately. I use a program (Roxio) that copies the entire CD onto disk (bit-for-bit) then turns around and does the reverse. Now, if you buy crappy CD's or a burner that doesn't do its job (i.e., either loses bits), then you've got a problem. Almost all burners and readers these days do a bit-perfect job. It's what you do with the bits once you get them off the media that makes for great or crappy sound.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

SteveFord
SILVER-7t

Post by SteveFord » Sat May 31, 2008 4:45 pm

Probably overkill, but...
Can't remember what I paid for mine, think $500-750 range, used.

http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/HHB-Bur ... 17459.html
Attachments
burnitplus_front.jpg
burnitplus_front.jpg (9.39 KiB) Viewed 1420 times
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Sat May 31, 2008 5:10 pm

rolereversal wrote: I just have not yet to hear a good burn program, or perhaps the cds themselves are of different quality?

I would venture to say that most of those crappy burned CDs you've heard were NOT bit-for-bit copies made from CDs, but rather were made from downloaded or high-ly compressed ripped tracks. If you put a highly-compressed MP3 back onto a CD, it will STILL sound like a crappy MP3. That's the problem with "lossy" compression schemes--you can't get back teh bits that are thrown away, even if you re-rip the tracks back up to CD bit-rates.

I can usually tell a compressed MP3 within the first minute of hearing it on my system. The biggest tell-tale sign is grainy mids and compressed dynamics, and a dramatic absence of high-frequency ambience cues.

Any good CD burner and decent CD-writing software should, in theory, make a bit-for-bit copy of a CD. If you are using iTunes as your music manager, you should set the ripping format as "Apple Lossless". It is as close as you can get to CD sound in iTunes.

There are other formats that approach "lossless transfer", but as far as I know they are not iTunes compatible yet. FLAC and Ogg Vorbis are two popular PC audio formats that offer high quality, but neither are currently compatible with iTunes. I've seen players for both these formats for Mac, but they are difficult to install, and kludgey to operate at best.

You can say what you will about Apple, and their little iTunes empire, but the fact remains that it is the easiest to-use digital music management softare on ANY payform out there--and it's free. Plus if you have an iPod, it gives you a TREMENDOUS amount of flexibility and sophistication in organizing, sorting, and playing your music...

--Richard
Last edited by Dreamer on Sat May 31, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Sat May 31, 2008 5:46 pm

Good post, Dreamer. Apple lossless gives you bit-for-bit and then uses a compression algorithm (not audio compression, but the type you use to make backups of your computer hard drive). When re-expanded (like when you recover a backup) all the bits are identical to the original (if they weren't with a computer backup/recovery, none of your programs would run and none of you data would be correct).

If you ever rip into a lossy format, as Dreamer says, the bits are lost forever!

maddmaxxx
(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post by maddmaxxx » Sat May 31, 2008 7:31 pm

-been run'in a sony rcw500 for 5 yrs +/-...before that a phillips burner...both are dual tray w/normal and hi-speed dubb

-the sony has super bit mapping [20 bit] the phillips iz a 16 bit recorder

-use them for shop burns and for the trucky...kinda funny sony sells a burner and their the big crybabies 'bout piracy

-on another note...i bought myself some sacd's for x-mas [gotta get somethin ?]

-be forwarned...just so happens that i have the albums on LP/mobile fidelity and digitaly remasterd...in other words i saw the band tour the bloody album !!!

-JUNK !!! 1.] mixed incorrectly/POORLY...2.] very, very 'crammed' w/no upper bass...3.] lost music/no impact or misplaced impact

-kinda like a 'non-music' person mastered these or he/she did NOT understand the concept of these 'epics'

-tried these on 5.1 marantz sacd'er/ 5.1 980 and 981 oppo diff system and my jolida based system

-hands down 'mo fi' and 'dig remast'. wins this last round !!!..i don't mind pay'in 50 bux for a precision disc but come on...not even close

-check feedback from 'band Forums' NOT a seller [cd universe/amazon etc etc] !!!!!!!!!!!!!

-i waited to hear these discs on 'other systems' before i completely judged

-kinda funny that alot of folks don't know the diff...never ceases to amazes me !!!!!
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Sat May 31, 2008 7:37 pm

You really are at the mercy of the person behind the curtain. I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!

Return to “CD / SACD”