OPPO DV-981HD

CD / SACD Discussion
mewisemagic
M-400t CUBE

OPPO DV-981HD

Post by mewisemagic » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:19 pm

well just bought one,some of you gave this brand high marks ,so i hope it looks better than watching dvds through my pc
carver ct29v,tfm-15cb,tfm-35x,m1-ot,tlm-3600, pair of 9 t's ,c5,adcom 535 II,oppo 981 dvd, polk sda srs 2.3tl,polk sda srs 1.2
tfm-42,AL-III+, yaqin 10l

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Re: OPPO DV-981HD

Post by BillD » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:13 pm

I hear it's a very good DVD player. The 980H is a very good CD/SACD player. It also plays DVDs pretty well, too.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Dawgme85
Newbie 50+

Post by Dawgme85 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:26 pm

Great choice for an up-converting DVD player. Just remember that to take advantage of the upconverting capability (720P/1080i/1080P) requires an HDMI/DVI input at your receiver or HDTV.

Luckily, my (now 3 years old) Aspect (by Hitachi) HDTV has a DVI input, as my Denon HT receiver (AVR 1705) only has Component jacks.

Once you get it hooked up you should be very happy with the picture quality, especially compared to watching DVDs on a PC.
CT-Seven (factory modified, rebuilt by Rolland) or C-1
M500T (rebuilt by Rita)
Thorens TD150MkII/TP13A/Denon DL160 HOMC
NAD C525BEE CDP
Dahlquist DQ20s (woofers refoamed by MillerSound)

devnull
TFM-25

Post by devnull » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:20 pm

mewisemagic wrote:well just bought one,some of you gave this brand high marks ,so i hope it looks better than watching dvds through my pc
I bought the 980H recently, and not having a ton of money to throw at a dedicated CD/SACD player right now it will do for the time being. I wasn't especially worried about the DVD end of things as I'm using a 10 year old tube TV so that's not going to prove out the delicacies of that format especially well.

But, for a budget universal player, it does very well indeed. I can't complain.

I plan on getting a dedicated CD/SACD player in the long run, though. Some of the higher end Sony products look pretty nice actually. In time, in time.

John
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." —Dean Martin

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:07 pm

devnull wrote:
mewisemagic wrote:well just bought one,some of you gave this brand high marks ,so i hope it looks better than watching dvds through my pc
I bought the 980H recently, and not having a ton of money to throw at a dedicated CD/SACD player right now it will do for the time being. I wasn't especially worried about the DVD end of things as I'm using a 10 year old tube TV so that's not going to prove out the delicacies of that format especially well.

But, for a budget universal player, it does very well indeed. I can't complain.

I plan on getting a dedicated CD/SACD player in the long run, though. Some of the higher end Sony products look pretty nice actually. In time, in time.

John
Quick tip for the DV-980H devnull. There is a button on the remote labelled Audio Only. What this button does is to completely bypass all of the Video circuitry from the signal path and thus greatly improves the Audio performance. The higher priced DV-981HD does not have this feature which is why it sounds merely OK compared to the DV-980H on music. The DV-981HD DOES have a markedly better picture quality on DVDs than the DV-980H which is why it commands the higher price. Combined with a nice pair of silver interconnects there is nothing much under $500 that can come even close and it will even give several $1000 units a run for their money.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

Return to “CD / SACD”