More SACD/CD Players

CD / SACD Discussion
audiophile101
TFM-55

Re: More SACD/CD Players

Post by audiophile101 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:49 pm

BillD wrote:You're missing something really special w/o SACD.
I know this. Thats why I do have SACD players in the list but I have quite a large CD collection and will probably be listening to CD's 80% of the time even if I bought a SACD player. That makes CD quality sound more important to me.

I've been reading and have an idea. What about getting a Sony SCD-777ES and using it as a transport then getting something like a benchmark DAC1 for the DAC? Tnat may be a killer setup and it would allow SACD playback. Is there a better transport for around $1000?

Thanks.

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:15 pm

DACs like the Benchmark will NOT decode SACD.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Correct, Gary. I use the DACs in my Sunfire pre/pro to convert bitstream from my Oppo, figuring that leaving it digital as long as possible is best, but when I do SACD, I must use the DACs in the Oppo. Fortunately, the Oppo DACs are 24-bit/192kHz, like the ones in the Sunfire (and good ones, too). I use a shielded snake of 8 cables between the Oppo and the Sunfire for SACD.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

thall
TFM-25

Post by thall » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:59 pm

audiophile101 wrote:
gdb wrote:Okay , what would be a "good" CDP or SACD for someone who's only got limited funds and doesn't really possess a pair of "golden ears" like many here have. I keep reading about the major advances in CDP technology in the last 20yrs. and wonder if any are applied to the more modestly priced players out there? Would a used newer model be a good choice,bang for buck wise? I still think the sound from my ancient Pioneer Elite player sounds fantastic, I can't imagine what something that sounds a lot better would be like! I've never ventured into SACD and don't know if I ever will, so my second priority (after price) is the ablity to play garden variety CDs well, if it also can play SACDs that'll be a plus. I'm thinking $650 or less.Thanks for any suggestions offered ! :)
If you read most of this thread you should probably assume they are all going to tell you to buy a used Jolida JD-100.
The Jolida is CD only...many around here have gone with the Oppo 980 (at least I think that's
the right model for the preferred audio player). For around $160 you get a player that does 'em all.
With my bad ears and low budget, it's on my shoppng list.
thall

devnull
TFM-25

Post by devnull » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:00 pm

treitz3 wrote:
As for the Yammie? No, I haven't heard that exact model for some time but I do recall that i have not heard a "Natural Sound" Yamaha ever sound natural. "Restricted" would be a better word.
Tom -- I read your comment about Yamaha speakers, and liking the ones you have heard. I'd think you'd like the NS-1000M. The pair of NS-1000M speakers I bought are the best acquisition I've made as of yet. They're definitely keepers for me. Yamaha slapped that 'Natural Sound' moniker on plenty of equipment, but only so much of it is going to be up to performance you'd consider worthy. I'd guess you were referring more to CD players with this comment, though. I have to say I'm impressed with the MX-1 amplifier I bought, too. Yamaha made a number of notable amplifiers with the 'Natural Sound' reference, such as the B-2, B-2x, MX-1, MX-1000, MX-2000 and the (ultimately rare) MX-10000 to name a few.

I like the higher end of the Yamaha line of amps and speakers. In my opinion, they're not unlike Carver equipment where they perform very well for the money invested.

John
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." —Dean Martin

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:50 pm

I like my 980H (not to be confused with the 981HD) a lot. Not the best video player, but, for the price, a decent CD and SACD player.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:46 pm

Does the Oppo beat all comers in the <$650.00 range of new CDPs that may or may not also play SACDs?

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:17 pm

Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

OBI56
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by OBI56 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:20 pm

gdb wrote:Does the Oppo beat all comers in the <$650.00 range of new CDPs that may or may not also play SACDs?
I'm one of the Oppo's biggest fans on here but I'm not sure if I would go quite that far GDB. As far as I'm concerned, the 980H is probably the best CD/SACD player on the market for under $500 for a new unit. It can hold its own against even more expensive CD/SACD players but I'm not sure I would state unequivocally that it is the best Redbook CD player for under $500. It is a bit flimsy looking and feeling but then it is only $169 so, what do you expect. As far as value goes, nothing can touch it anywhere near 3 times the price and THAT is its real advantage.

If you only have $200 and are in the market for a NEW CD/SACD player, then the 980H is a no brainer. If you have $500 and are in the market for a NEW CD/SACD player, then the 980H is one of your better options. If you have $500 and are in the market for a either a new or used CD/SACD player, then the 980H is a viable option. If you have $1000 and are in the market for either a new or used CD/SACD player, then you finally have a lot of other options that might serve you better than the 980H.

It all boils down to your needs, budget and what will work for you.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.

gdb
SILVER-7t

Post by gdb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:31 pm

F1nut wrote:For just CD, here ya go.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... D-new-cd-p
I WISH !!!! :( :lol:

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:46 pm

OK, here is my suggestion. If you want a VERY good RedBook rig, AND you want the capability to play SACD (2 channel or multi-channel), AND keep the whole thing under $2000, then I'd suggest getting an Oppo and a Benchmark. The two together will run you under $1500, and you can spend the other $500 on getting some good cables. Hook the digital coax out from the Oppo to the Benchmark and run the Benchmark into you rpreamp using the Balanced outs, for RedBook--you will be astounded., then ALSO hook the SACD outputs from the Oppo to your preamp for SACD. I think you will need to have a small monitor (or your TV) hooked up to the Oppo, because you'll need to switch the output configuration in the Oppo's video menus to switch between digital outs and SACD analogue outs.

The Benchmark is ONLY for 2-channel, RedBook data. It will NOT decode SACD, even 2-channel SACD. There has been talk that they may be coming out with an SACD-capable DAC in the future, but nothing is set in stone yet.

The Jolida is a delightful 2-channel RedBook CD player. But it will NOT play SACD (2- or multi-channel).

The Oppo plays anything on a silver disc. It has pretty good RedBook capabilities. Granted, it's not as good at Redbook as a Jolida, or even a high-end Rega, and nowhere near as good as a Wadia, Proceed, or Theta rig. But if you run it's Digital out to a Benchmark (or PS Audio) DAC, you get, for under $1500, a RedBook front end that can keep up with the REALLY big dogs in the digital front end world, AND the Oppo plays SACDs, something that NONE of the high-end transport/DAC rigs like Wadia, Theta, AED, MBL, or others can do--they are all RedBook ONLY. AND the Oppo is an ass-kicking upscaling DVD player on top of it--perhaps the BEST upscaling stand-alone player out there. I have a Sony BDP-S1 BluRay, which was a $1000 unit when it was new, and my Oppo DV-981HD (at a whopping $229) is actually better at upscaling regular SD-DVDs.

Sure, the Oppo/Benchmark combo is not the be-all and end-all of Digital front ends. But for the money, it is nearly impossible to beat for the features, flexibility and performance you get in the end. Not only does it make good music, but it maked your DVDs look almost as good as BluRay (especially if you have a 1080p/120Hz TV).

You can spend about 5 times more money and get a Jolida (around $1000). You can spend a LOT more money, and get an even better RedBook player (like a Krell or Wadia or some such, for $3000+). You can spend a TON more money (like $5000 and up!!!) and get a better SACD player.

And that Musical Fidelity player that F1Nut posted about is super-sweet for RedBook. I've heard it driving Martin Logan Summits, big Totems, and Harbeths, and it is very smooth and musical. It has that laid-back but highly detailed "Brti-kit" sound that I love so much.

Or you can shell out about $2000 total for an Oppo, a Benchmark DAC1 and some good cables, and get a damn good Redbook rig, an excellent SACD player, AND the damn thing plays DVDs like you've never seen on top of it.

If you're primarily interested in music playback, get the Oppo DV-980H. It has the best audio stages of all the Oppo's, but it two down from the top of their line as far as their video playback goes. If you want almost-as-good sound, but outstanding video, get the DV-981HD. I have one of these, and it does pretty well for RedBook, but through the Benchmark it is VERY clean, detailed, and open. It's a little more "forward" than a Rega Apollo, and not quite as "sweet" sounding as a Jolida, but when you figure in all the additional functionality, I think it's an acceptable trade-off.

But it's your money, and your system. You make the call...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

audiophile101
TFM-55

Post by audiophile101 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:35 am

Man Richard! That was again, awesome info!

I'm going to state a few more things to further slim down my results. I am not interested in DVD playback what-so-ever and could care less about multi channel. This is going on my 2 channel setup that will always be 2 channel and nothing more.

As you guys saw, I am also considering upgrading my C-19 to a Sunfire or Mcintosh so the more money I save doing this the more I will have towards my Pre.

I may just spend a couple hundred and get an oppo DV-980H for the hell of it! It's cheap enough to impulse buy and everyone says it's so good! The more I think about it the more I want SACD playback. Is the oppo's DAC any good stock? How would it compare to a Benchmark DAC1, night and day? I must also say, there is no tv in my listening room so I cannot hook up a TV to switch things around all the time. This may make owning the oppo fairly difficult for SACD playback using a Benchmark DAC1.

That Musical Fidelity player is awesome looking! I may be looking at those soon!!! Maybe I'll get that and an oppo for SACD? Wow does this stuff add up quick!!!

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:54 am

That Musical Fidelity player is awesome looking! I may be looking at those soon!!! Maybe I'll get that and an oppo for SACD?
There's an idea. Did you note that the MF has a tubed output? Sweet stuff there.

I have a friend that uses a Raysonic 168 (tubed) for redbook and a Denon 2900 running thru a tube buffer for SACD. Not too shabby.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Make America Great Again

audiophile101
TFM-55

Post by audiophile101 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:03 am

I saw the tubed output, very nice!

Raysonic just doesn't look too great to me. It may be very good but it is also very expensive. I'll pass on that.

I'm going to keep an eye on some used A5CD's and even the A5.5CD. MF does make some pretty great stuff from what I hear. Thanks for the tip!

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:18 am

The Raysonic 168 and the MF A5CD are about the same price new. The new A5 CD in that ad is discounted....heavily. Grab it while you can.

Make America Great Again

Return to “CD / SACD”