Inexpensive Music Servers

Digital / WiFi / iPod Media Discussion
atwaterkent

Inexpensive Music Servers

Post by atwaterkent » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:54 pm

While you guys are talking about all these tremendously expensive music servers....I think the Sunfire version is about $5k or $6K

I've been building computers for fun and profit (more fun than profit these days) for 18 years.

I currently have two inexpensive models for sale on the local Denver Craigslist that are set up as music servers using Media Monkey to orgainize & play the music as well as display the album info and cover art. There is also a visualization feature that will make you wish you had this box in the 60s or start pushing for the legalization of ....... fill in the blank.....

These are set up to display out to your big screen HDTV (one has HDMI one has S-Video) and both have a small 88-key wireless keyboard/touchpad available .....

These are also fully functional computers as well.

http://denver.craigslist.org/sys/1471525912.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/sys/1471433831.html

These dont have huge hardrives (160 Gb & 500Gb) because most people organize MP3s which dont take up a lot of drive space.

The personal music server I built for myself has two 1Tb drives set up in a mirroring raid array. 2000 CDs in FLAC barely take up 500Gb.

It's great having access to my entire music collection and the album art without ever inserting a CD........or getting out of my easy chair.

If you are interested I can ship them for whatever it will cost.

Here is something else you might be interested in.

A company named Aluratek makes 3 models of internet radio devices (other companies make them as well).
Two of them do not require a computer (but require a wifi network) and one is a tiny USB device.

These easily provide access to 20K streaming internet radio stations. Many broadcast at MP3 quality plus...

Enjoy.....LC

Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Inexpensive Music Servers

Post by Jag_97470 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 pm

Sounds interesting, but one question? Why a 250 watt power supply? Is that what is required to operate the unit or is that an internal power supply that generates that wattage coming off the outlet of 115 volts? Thanks

atwaterkent

Re: Inexpensive Music Servers

Post by atwaterkent » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:22 pm

When you purchase a computer case they many times come with a power supply.
They are rated by the max output they can supply and seldom ever get close to using their rated output......

Return to “Digital / WiFi / iPod”