Audio DiffMaker... Bob's "Null Test" Gone Digital

Digital / WiFi / iPod Media Discussion
Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Re: Audio DiffMaker... Bob's "Null Test" Gone Digital

Post by Toy Maker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:13 pm

If it was good enough for Bobs Stereophile Challenge, it's good enough for you !!!!
Nuff said :lol:

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:30 pm

I do have 1 PC that retailed for 1K. If you want to do a null test at CF, LMK. I'll bring it along with the Nerve Audio PC I have and a stock cord. You can test them there. As far as IC's go? I'll bring 3 sets that if the null test doesn't pick up the differences at the end? Then the golden ears at Stereophile were obviously fucking deaf.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re:

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:34 pm

treitz3 wrote:I do have 1 PC that retailed for 1K.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Not so fast....

Post by treitz3 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:35 pm

What will make you laugh [or cry] is what I actually bought it for. :-"
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re:

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:37 pm

treitz3 wrote: Then the golden ears at Stereophile were obviously fucking deaf.

Now you have played the "trump" card as those guys there are the :badgrin: :badgrin:

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re: Not so fast....

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:40 pm

treitz3 wrote:What will make you laugh [or cry] is what I actually bought it for. :-"
Not really ---

Like you guys have taught me about audio systems - different ones are needed for different things.

Putting a PC together to fit a need is simple compared to putting an audio system together.
It ain't about the $$, but building it to the need.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Trump gets fooled...

Post by treitz3 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Bob actually said that the test amps he designed had to be continually tweaked during the test in order for them to remain as close to the opposing amp as possible. I forget why but I will say this. He must have worked some serious magic to fool the golden ears because I have not once heard an SS amplifier sound like a tube amp. Once you know the difference between the two, spotting which is which is easy.

Bob said that there would be no way that the amps he used could have ever gone into production.

F1nut
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by F1nut » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Bill, PC as in power cord, not computer.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:49 pm

jjptkd wrote:It would be reasonable to believe that if an added componet to a system made an "obvious" difference in sound, good or bad, it should be measurable. I believe that quality products are going to produce higher quality sound over cheap crap but I also believe that if this program really works, it should show the difference. After all, if you can hear a difference, then there must be a difference, right?
Figure out what measurement instrument that is and you will have the audio market cornered! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Re:

Post by Chauss » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 pm

treitz3 wrote:I do have 1 PC that retailed for 1K. If you want to do a null test at CF, LMK. I'll bring it along with the Nerve Audio PC I have and a stock cord. You can test them there. As far as IC's go? I'll bring 3 sets that if the null test doesn't pick up the differences at the end? Then the golden ears at Stereophile were obviously fucking deaf.
Hey Tom- when you come to Atlanta bring a pair of them PLEASE! I would like to see if I can hear a difference on my system!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Do a boing test not knowing which is which, before you even see the cables.. I'd be interested to see if you hear anything.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Nice idea.

Post by treitz3 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:58 pm

That would be interesting.

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:03 pm

boing test???

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re: Trump gets fooled...

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:05 pm

treitz3 wrote:Bob actually said that the test amps he designed had to be continually tweaked during the test in order for them to remain as close to the opposing amp as possible. I forget why but I will say this. He must have worked some serious magic to fool the golden ears because I have not once heard an SS amplifier sound like a tube amp. Once you know the difference between the two, spotting which is which is easy.

Bob said that there would be no way that the amps he used could have ever gone into production.
Don't get me wrong Tom ---
I am pulling for your ears (THE MAN).

Actually you can't loose, only win.

Here is my day --
Before going to the Dr to see if I can make it till Christmas with these skin cancer things, I did a little treadmill with a SACD on a CD player of Albert King. I know every note of this. It is a favorite of mine I have played often over the years.
The same is ripped to my deck computer.
I came right up on the deck and put it on here with this system.

The difference was hard to believe.
I have a good deck system, and willing to improve it.

The deck system played the tune back just great and made me want beer, not Gatoraid.

Below there were sounds that did not appear here like they did below.

I hate to admit it, but my RedNeck Bar sounds better than my deck.

I am not sure why, but I think it is the speakers.

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:18 pm

OO- to me speakers are THE main part of a system....crappy speakers still sound crappy even with high quality electronics- they may sound better- but you still can not get a perl out of a clam! :D Not saying any of your gear is crappy - it is just an analogy.

Return to “Digital / WiFi / iPod”