Whatever happened to the audiophile

Digital / WiFi / iPod Media Discussion
treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Oh, it's on baby!!!!

Post by treitz3 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:11 pm

TNRabbit wrote: Anyone who says CDs sound "digital" is hearing a shitty recording. It wouldn't matter what medium it was done on....
treitz3 wrote:I respectfully disagree with you with this statement. I have heard stellar recordings on CD/SACD/XRCD and HDCD and the vinyl does not have what I refer too as the "digital edge". It just sounds more natural. Closer to the real thing, if you will. You can hear the difference...or at least I can, which is why I prefer vinyl. One example that comes to mind? Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus. Another? Donald Fagan's Morph the Cat.

Another great example would be what Jerry and I heard last year on my rig. We had both heard AC/DC's song/album before [the name of the song/album is escaping me...] thousands of times. We decided to put it on one night at CF and listen to the entire album. At one point in one of the songs, someone does this evil type laugh and both Jerry and I burst out laughing because it sounded rather funny. We looked at each other and at the same time asked "have you ever laughed at that before?". Both answers were "no". It was the first time we had both heard that album on vinyl though.

This is not meant to be a confrontational post. These were just things that instantly came to mind when I read your statement. There's many more examples I can think of but I don't really feel like typing right now. Maybe we can sit down at the 'fest and listen to the same album on different formats. If you are interested, I'll try to explain what it is I hear differently that describes what I would define as the "digital edge".
TNRabbit wrote:Tom, I could make a digital recording FROM that LP & I guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference....
Oooooh! Another challenge??!!....I do love a challenge. :D We'll see about that...... :wink:
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Re: Whatever happened to the audiophile

Post by Chauss » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:39 pm

You are going to be one busy man with all these challenges being thrown at you Tom! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

Return to “Digital / WiFi / iPod”