I connected my stereo to my computer

Digital / WiFi / iPod Media Discussion
vernonbishop

I connected my stereo to my computer

Post by vernonbishop » Sun May 27, 2007 9:21 am

I connected my computer to my stereo system and it sounds GREAT...

Just thought you wanted to know... \:D/ \:D/

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Sun May 27, 2007 12:39 pm

A little tip on that--If you are using your computer to play "ripped" music (rather than directly from your computer's CD player), be sure that you rip all your music at the highest bit-rate (Apple Lossless if you're using iTunes, or FLAC, or something similar) to get the most out of this setup.

The better your audio system, the worse MP3's and other high-compression formats will sound. Although MP3s sound pretty acceptable to me on my iPod or computer through headphones, when I play them through my system, they sound like absolute s#!%...

And if you think that runnign your computer through your stereo sounds great, you should hear that combination with an outboard DAC between the computer and preamp. Most (no, ALL) computers have crap for their DACs, and although it will sound OK, putting that pure digital signal from your computer through a decent outboard DAC (the Benchmark DAC-1 with the USB option is a real stand-out) it can rival the likes of Krell, Audio Research, Meridian, or Accuphase for a digital front-end...

Good luck, and congrats on taking the next step toward great sound!

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Sun May 27, 2007 1:41 pm

When we get together this summer [for a listening test, that is....] Dreamer, try to have an A/B test ready, because I am so hesitant in the sound "sounding Hi-Fi" coming from the computer.

Reluctant to the outcome would be more like it. Glad you like your new found sound (source) Vernonbishop.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post by DaveS » Sun May 27, 2007 3:43 pm

treitz3 call me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

baddfingerz
Newbie 50+

Post by baddfingerz » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:09 pm

Especially with a DIGITAL AUDIO INTERFACE, BABY.
Better a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front o' me...

Kahuna
TFM-45
Location: Area 51-Skunk Works Division - Space Age Materials Lab

Post by Kahuna » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:20 pm

Dreamer wrote:A little tip on that--If you are using your computer to play "ripped" music (rather than directly from your computer's CD player), be sure that you rip all your music at the highest bit-rate (Apple Lossless if you're using iTunes, or FLAC, or something similar) to get the most out of this setup.

--Richard
I've been toying with getting a DAC, I think I'll pull the trigger on it...
"The only thing in this world that gives orders, is balls"

German engineering in the haus..........Jah!

I'm from the United States of KISS MY @$$

Handle every stressful situation like a dog: Piss on it and walk away..

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:12 pm

I see another Carverphile has come over to the "Dark Side" !!!
Welcome yourg Jedi, you have many things to learn, you do.

If you are liking your MP3's (in whatever format and quality) look into a SlimDevices Squeezebox. http://www.slimdevices.com/
WELL worth the $300 I personaly would look at the WiFi version (if you have a wireless router in the house) If you don't get one !! \:D/

tomstat
SILVER-7t

Post by tomstat » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:53 am

Dreamer wrote:The better your audio system, the worse MP3's and other high-compression formats will sound.
And the higher the compression, the worse it sounds. I tried some 128kbps MP3's the first time I connected my computer to my stereo, they didn't sound good at all.

320kbps sampled at 44.1khz sound pretty good (to me) but there always seem to be points within the music where you can hear a pop, click, or some sort of distortion. LAME can encode at higher bitrates but why bother when formats like FLAC are available.
ImageImage

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:30 am

Toy Maker, I've been considering buying a Squeezebox, but I can't figure out one part of the equation. I want to go wireless, as I have a wireless router for my laptop to roam. I can figure out how in either iTunes or Windows Media Player to stream a playlist to the Squeezebox. I know I can open a stream, but that's to get things in from a URL. How do you send it out. Do you need some sort of software appliance that acts like a CD-R drive and interfaces to the router?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:33 am

Bill...

you need to DL SlimServer. http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html
It was made for the Squeezebox, and Transporter. All the settings are done in there. Real fool proof program. I prefer using Winamp, when I'm sitting at my computer, but SlimServer works perfect for the Squeezebox, and it doesn't even need to be open to work. It's all network crap I don't understand. Basicly a gateway for the Squeezebox to go on your puter wirelessly, and grab the next song I guess... It works both ways... on your puter, you can tell the Squeezebox what to do, or from the remote, you can tell it without the puter interface.
The only downfall, is... (a) computer must be on, and have SlimServer installed for it to play your music... But it could be a ragidy ass POS that stays on somewhere in the house... doesn't need to be your laptop. I am thinking about hooking my little POS Car-Mini PC back up and hardwiring it you the Sqeezebox, with my 500GB drive plugged into it, just so I don't have to have my laptop on all the time to listen to my music.
They don't say allot about it... but without a puter on, the Squeezebox, can still go online by itself, and play THROUSANDS of streeming music off the net any time... It's almost like XM without the bill.

WELL WORTH THE $$$...
I'll make you a deal, you buy one, and if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you for what you paid. I need a 2nd one anyway.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:37 pm

Downloaded the software and read the Squeezebox2 manual. Looks simple enough if I can get it by my hardware and software firewalls. Now, I'm gonna go search for places to buy. Oh boy, I love shopping!

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:29 pm

Logitech just bought SlimDevices a few months ago, and they have been promoting the shit out of them. Seen ads on Audiogon for them a couple weeks ago.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speak ... /&cl=us,en

You might find a deal for $270 or so... I just went direct and paid the $299. ((( just make sure you get the "WIRELESS" version. there are (2) different versions, one with the WiFi, and one without... the one without the WiFi is like $200 I think.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:17 pm

Hehe. Dreamer and I have already done the test and found out the results. I'm keeping my mouth shut and you'll just have to find out the results by searching for it. :-k Image
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:33 pm

treitz3 wrote:Hehe. Dreamer and I have already done the test and found out the results. I'm keeping my mouth shut and you'll just have to find out the results by searching for it. :-k Image
I'm expecting if the test is done right, you will not be able to hear a difference...
I went back and read what Dreamer posted as far as details of how he set up the test.

By his own opinions, "I wish the Airport has some sort of digital output other than TOSLINK. Personally, I HATE the artifacts that TOSLINK puts into a digital signal. But the USB port on the Airport does not stream music signals (it's only for printers) and there is no RCA/coax output... "

I will bet when this test us set up 100% correctly, and also 100% Blind, you will not be able to pick the CD over the WiFi more than 75% of the time. Just guessing you should get about 50/50...
This one is going to be my little baby... I will use whoevers preamp, amps, and speakers you want... but I get to set up the CD and Transporter, the way I think it should he connected... If done right, there should not be any difference in the output between the 2.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:48 pm

Bought the Squeezebox. Logitech was giving a $30 off the normal $299, so I bought it through Slim Devices and free shipping was included. This is going to be some Christmas.

Return to “Digital / WiFi / iPod”