I connected my stereo to my computer

Digital / WiFi / iPod Media Discussion
Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:35 pm

I can't wait !!! I got your ass now Tom !!!!
I just made my 1st 100% full rip... Downloaded a new program \:D/
My 1st song came out to 85-MEG baby !! It's a full .wav rip.
Going to go A/B it now.. be back in a little while to tell you if I hear a defference.

PS.. Even Apple lossless and FLAC, is compressed from what I have been reading...
Full perfect copies will be .wav files I guess. anything else has audio removed to cut file size. So it looks like we will be using WiFI wav's

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:53 pm

Time will tell if you are deaf or not........ :p :p :p
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:56 pm

Toy Maker wrote:By his own opinions, "I wish the Airport has some sort of digital output other than TOSLINK. Personally, I HATE the artifacts that TOSLINK puts into a digital signal. But the USB port on the Airport does not stream music signals (it's only for printers) and there is no RCA/coax output... "
That might explain it. I have no idea what all of that means, but it might explain it.

All I have ever used is RCA IC's. It's all I ever care to use unless proven otherwise which is why all this stuff is completely foreign to me.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:36 pm

Well, in a 1/2-assed blind test.. I hear a difference. I can tell the 2 apart with no problem.
BUT... the test is 1/2-assed. My CD player is a POS, and only has RCA outputs, and I am using the oprical out on the Squeezebox. I need a better CD player with an optical output to do this right. dammit !!!
The CD had WAY more bass for some reason... TOO much, even for me.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:39 pm

BillD wrote:Bought the Squeezebox. Logitech was giving a $30 off the normal $299, so I bought it through Slim Devices and free shipping was included. This is going to be some Christmas.
CONGRATZ !!!!!!
I will convert you all 1 by 1

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:42 pm

What else do you have in the loop? Same system as you had at CF?

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:52 pm

Tom, you really need to determine which component has the best DACs, and use it for conversion. I'm convinced that the Oppo DACs and the ones in the Sunfire are about equivalent, so when I can, I let the Sunfire DACs be used because I think it's better to keep the signal digital as long as possible. When I play SACD, I use the DACs in the Oppo (I have no choice, because the TGP-III has no HDMI in). Redbook, however goes coax to the Sunfire.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Post by treitz3 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:30 pm

Um...well....uh, I just use the Rega Apollo's DAC, Bill. I have no other option as I am not interested in video anymore or a multichannel system. I have already gotten rid of all that stuff years ago [video recently] and am just concentrating on 2 channel audio. In my audio journey, that's the path I've chosen and that's the path I'm taking. So far I'm liking it. Alot.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:21 pm

If that's your path, you only need one DAC for CD/SACD, and that's good.

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:21 pm

The only problem with that is I don't know if anyone makes an outboard DAC that does SACD--in stereo or multi-channel...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:13 am

treitz3 wrote:What else do you have in the loop? Same system as you had at CF?
Nope.. everything has changed.
The squeezebox and the TL-3200 go to the C-1000a then off to the clearview crossover, then highs go to the Lightstar amp and off to the ribbons in the AL-V's. The lows go to the ODL amp (I had at CF) and off to the subs in the AL-V's

maddmaxxx
(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post by maddmaxxx » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:34 am

-the 'trends' are digital...i prefer reading here than a magazine

-nice, toymaker, can't wait to hear her

-and take the rega/jolida, 'pepsi challenge' vs downloads
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:53 am

Regarding lossless compression, this is used in the computer industry all the time to save data space when running backups. After decompression, the bit stream is identical to the original. Techniques vary, but a simple one is to replace a string of repeating bits with a count followed by the bit. You would be surprised how many repeating zeros or ones you find. You can also do this with patterns (i.e., characters). Lossless is truly mathematically lossless. No bits from the original are lost due to compression.

carversound
TFM-6cb

Post by carversound » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:32 pm

I run alot of music from my computer,I just got the prodigy hd2 audiophile soundcard, and what a difference. Then I awapped out the op-amps with national semiconducters (LM4562na) all three. Distortion 0.0003% And another big inprovment. Simply the best I ever heard from a computer! It sounds better than my denon cd player. http://www.floridamusicco.com/proddetai ... %5Fhd2.htm
Or check out this - http://cgi.ebay.com/KECES-DA-151-USB-DA ... dZViewItem
CARVER - THE LEGEND LIVES
CUTTING EDGE SOUND

(2)-1.5ts / tx-2 /c-2/ amazing originals / tl3200/c-9

Dreamer
SILVER-7t

Post by Dreamer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:21 pm

BillD wrote:When I play SACD, I use the DACs in the Oppo (I have no choice, because the TGP-III has no HDMI in). Redbook, however goes coax to the Sunfire.
BillD,

As far as Sunfire preamps and HDMI inputs, frmo what I understand, even the TGP-V, which DOES have HDMI inputs will not receive SACD signals over the HDMI ports. Sunfire is using the fist HDMI version, which does not support digital audio over HDMI. If you use the HDMI to switch you rvideo signals with the TGP-V (which it does VERY well by all accounts) you also need to hook up the digital audio outputs (coax or TOSLINK) or use multi-channel analogue hookups.

So since you are using the "non secure" PCM/coax or TOSLINK digital audio hookups, you cannot sent SACD signals this way--only Dolby surround or multi-channel sognals will go over these links.

It's all the fault of the recording industry. They won't let digital SACD signals go over "non-secure" links, so they can only go over HDMI v1.3 or USB lines.

So, in effect, you cannot let your TGP-V do SACD decoding from a transport because:

1) it won't accept SACD digital streams, and
2) it has no on-board SACD decoding chipset anyway...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-

Return to “Digital / WiFi / iPod”