Help! iTunes wants to own my library!

Digital / WiFi / iPod Media Discussion
weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Help! iTunes wants to own my library!

Post by weitrhino » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:31 pm

In anticipation of getting her new iPhone, my lovely wife has given me her ipod and cleared it of most of her music. She even bought the latest Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scots album as a starter library. Admittedly I'm way behind the curve and have no real clue how to use the thing, but I do have 96 gigs of digital music on a dedicated hard drive.

Is there any way to move media to and from the ipod without iTunes wanting to restrict me to 5 movements? Can I move media without using iTunes?

thuffman03
!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Re: Help! iTunes wants to own my library!

Post by thuffman03 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:38 pm

Don't know much about MAC stuff. That is a whole another apple! :lol:

I know they do restrict a lot of things though. ](*,)
Some cool Carver stuff!

Jag_97470
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Jag_97470 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:26 pm

I don't know, but BillD seems to know a lot about itunes, maybe he will chime in, or PM him.
Good luck

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post by BillD » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:38 pm

I know about iTunes, but not about stuff loaded with Apple's usage rights stuff. Anything you rip into iTunes you can move around at will with no restrictions. I do it all the time. I have three complete replicated copies of my music library on 3 different machines, plus a subset on two different iPods. It's stuff you download from the iTunes store that's a problem.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Post by weitrhino » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:51 pm

The vast majority of digital music I own was not done through iTunes, either as a purchase or ripped into AIFF. Mostly I have VBR mp3's averaging around 250k from my own EAC/LAME rips or from downloads from, ahem...other sources. I don't want iTunes to 'take charge' of my content and slap me with restrictions on how I move it around. As I said, I'm way behind the ipod curve.

stereo_buff
TFM-55

Post by stereo_buff » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Watch out for those iPods! They can catch fire, burst into flame, or severely burn your ass! Read the story about some of these incidents, which Apple downplays, at:

http://www.kirotv.com/money/20089894/detail.html

Maybe this is Apple's way to extract revenge!

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:49 pm

ANYTHING with a Lithium battery can catch fire and/or explode. They require special chargers & if the charger malfunctions or the battery is ruptured/damaged, they can & will burn or explode.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Rodney, my experience with ipods has been very good.

As Bill said if you import the musici into Itunes (like from a cd or another disk drive) you can do anything you want with it including burning cds.

I suggest you try "copy" rather than "move" to load some of your music into itunes and see how it works/behaves towards the stuff you put on it. You will still have the music saved on its source and you can play with it.

The ipod itself is a wonder as you can carry your entire music library in your pocket.

Enjoy & welcome to the 90's.

FrankieD

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:01 pm

Rodney, I don't think it will do that (it never has done that to me). You might want to keep a copy "outside" iTunes, just to be safe.

It's easy to add stuff to iTunes without moving it from where it is, if you take certain precautions. The first thing you want to do is to set up your library in a convenient. Go to the Edit tab and select Preferences. Under the Advanced tab, you can change where the library is stored. You should also click on both the boxes to let iTunes keep your Music folder organized and (important) Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library. That last one lets you add the files without just linking to them, so you'll also have a copy outside iTunes. Under the General tab is where you decide how you want the library to look. Check the Automatically retrieve CD track names from Internet button, so when you rip CDs it will get the names. Genius is pretty cool — I have it checked. You can select a song and click on the genius button on the bottom bar in iTunes (the "nuclear" symbol), and it builds a playlist from your library of related songs — sometimes good, sometimes not so good. I usually edit the playlist before playing it.

Anyway, the import settings button shows how CDs will be ripped into iTunes. I go Apple Lossless. When you import files from elsewhere, you can convert them into your preferred format by selecting them, then, back on the main screen at the top, going to the advanced tab and saying "make a ... copy". This will create a copy in the format you had previously selected. You can then delete the other version (they're still highlighted, so it's as easy as a delete key) and then throw them away (remember we copied the into the library first (as I'll describe below).

To import songs or folders of songs, go to File> Add New File/Folder. You'll have to navigate to find the correct file or folder. I usually ripped albums into separate folders, so this was pretty easy for me. You might want to do a little reorganization before importing. They will show up in your library. Quick hint here. Select multiple songs with the same attributes (artist, album, etc.) and then right click. You can change the properties of all selected songs from one screen.

There's really a lot to learn, and it's taken me years to understand the idiosyncracies of iTunes. But, now that I have, I don't want to re-learn. I'm sure Windows Media Player is just as idiosyncratic.

BillD
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by BillD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Oh, one other thing. If they are already in MP3 or any other lossy format, don't bother converting them to lossless. It's just a waste of space — the damage has been done.

weitrhino
SILVER-7t

Post by weitrhino » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:40 pm

I can see some hefty experimentation is in order. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Return to “Digital / WiFi / iPod”