FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:01 pm

bi-amp / bi-wiring speakers

<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:55 pm

bi-amp / bi-wiring speakers

Sorry for being uneducated, but I have a question concerning bi-amping my Polk LSI-9 speakers. They have the double bridged posts. I have two PM-300 amps. I would like to run the bass drivers on one amp and the mid/high on another. On bi-amp capable speakers, are the crossovers seperated or do I need an external crossover to filter the signals from each amp?
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:37 pm

Remove the binding post straps from the binding posts. Hook one amp to the bottom posts on each speaker, the other amp to the top posts. No external crossover is needed.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:49 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of bi-amping to clear up each (bottom/top) section of the audio spectrum by only running those particular frequencies thru the amp? You are wasting bass energy in the treble amp if you run full spectrum sound and vice versa.....????
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Speedskater

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:57 pm

TNRabbi wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of bi-amping to clear up each (bottom/top) section of the audio spectrum by only running those particular frequencies thru the amp? You are wasting bass energy in the treble amp if you run full spectrum sound and vice versa.....????

That's the best way to do it. But Carver amp and speaker systems are happier being bi-amped rather than being bridge amped. To do this some speakers will need to have their woofer and tweeter crossover sections separated. In this passive bi-amp mode, the tweeter amp does not produce any woofer power (woofer voltage yes, power no).
<<

mikekohut

TFM-45

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:07 pm

What kind of amplifiers are you using?
<<

Speedskater

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:12 pm

mikekohut wrote:What kind of amplifiers are you using?

Which of use four?
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:44 pm

TNRabbi wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of bi-amping to clear up each (bottom/top) section of the audio spectrum by only running those particular frequencies thru the amp? You are wasting bass energy in the treble amp if you run full spectrum sound and vice versa.....????

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how do you run particular frequencies thru an amp?

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:47 pm

Speedskater wrote:
mikekohut wrote:What kind of amplifiers are you using?

Which of use four?

HUH???

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:36 am

F1nut wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how do you run particular frequencies thru an amp?

Active crossover BEFORE the amp...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:48 am

I am still confused. Will removing the bridging strip on the speaker posts seperate the crossovers thus allowing only lower octave signals through the bass speaker and higher through the tweeters, or do I need an external crossover between my C1 and each PM300 that filters out high or low signals before they reach the amp and speakers? If the latter, does anyone have any reccommendations for a processor unit that will handle this task? Thanks to all for the advice and guidence.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:19 am

My two cents

Skip, I run my Polk RTi10's with the binding post straps removed in my current system, running all of the speakers within the speaker, but the tweeter. It sounds like I am getting all of the frequencies that I want. If this confused you more...disregaurd, I have a "crack baby system".

I have bi-wired Polk RT-800's and the Rti10's using all sorts of configurations and amps and I have never heard of a frequency loss or overemphasis when doing so........which leads me to believe that F1nut is correct in the first response that you recieved on this subject. Trust me when I say F1nut knows a thing or two about Polk speakers.

The best thing I ever did was experiment 10,000 plus times [kidding] to see what combination came up with the best sound. Just try to keep in mind where the volume knob will be in relation to how many watts your speakers are rated for because you will be changing the "pull" that the speakers put onto the amp.

If I am wrong with any of this [anybody], let me know. One can always learn.....and if I learn, then you will be helping me improve my sound also.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:11 am

TNRabbi wrote:
F1nut wrote:

Active crossover BEFORE the amp...

I've never heard of that and it makes no sense to me.

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:15 am

skip wrote:I am still confused. Will removing the bridging strip on the speaker posts seperate the crossovers thus allowing only lower octave signals through the bass speaker and higher through the tweeters

Yes. Any speaker that has a dual set of binding posts will work the same, not just Polk speakers.

<<

tfm75

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:20 am

F1nut wrote:Remove the binding post straps from the binding posts. Hook one amp to the bottom posts on each speaker, the other amp to the top posts. No external crossover is needed.

F1-nut gave you the correct answer.

The straps on the back of your speakers, that bridge the speaker binding post just gives you an external link "outside of the box if you will" to do the samething that happens inside the box.

When you bi-amp and remove the strap and use two amps one for the highs and one for the lows " as far as the speaker is concerned" It wont change anything about the crossover, for all the speaker knows its still being fed by one amp!
<<

mikekohut

TFM-45

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:32 pm

I asked what kind of amps you are using because if they are the same amp you can, as I have recently learned, vertically biamp your speakers. I am in the process of trying this out when I get a moment (currently I am horizontally biamped). From what I have gathered on this site, outside of the extra work of fabricating an effective external crossover, the vertical method is the most preferred biamp method because it spreads the demands of the bass-hungry woofers across two separate power supplies.

Horizontal = one amp powers the woofers of each spkr and the other amp powers the highs

Vertical = Each amp is run in stereo mode and each channel of each amp is dedicated to either the highs or lows
Next

Return to Bi-Amp / Bi-Wire