FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:36 am

How to biwire?

<<

division

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:28 am

How to biwire?

I just picked a pair of Platinums that have dual binding posts. I'm new to all this, so I'm not quite sure how to do a biwire. I have a pair of Carver M-1.0t's that I am running in bridged mono mode.

How excatly do you a biwire when you only have one set of speaker terminals coming out of each amp? Also, how do you get into a biwire setup, when you only have one set of preouts from your preamp? Is there a way around the biwiring, by somehow tying the speaker terminals together? Also, how do balance the power output in a biamp setup? How powerful an amp do you want for the ribbon driver, and how powerful for the woofers? Thanks.
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:40 pm

Some of your questions are confusing. I also think YOU may be confused about a few things considering your questions.

Bi-Wiring is nothing more than using separate runs of speaker wire from the same amp, to the separate driver sections of the speakers. The preamp has nothing to do with bi-wiring. I believe there are commercially available cables already fabricated for bi-wiring in the event your amp only has one set of speaker output terminals.

If you use two M1.0t's for bi-AMPING, your questions about balance should be moot. They are the exact same amplifier, and no matter if you horizontally or vertically bi-amped, you would still be making 200 watts available to each ribbon and each woofer array (As long as the M1.0t's are in stereo configuration and not bridged mono).

What you're doing now with two M1.0t's bridged for 1,000 watts is dual-mono.
<<

division

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:25 am

Still more questions...

If you are using two runs from the same terminals in an amp, I really don't see the point in biwiring. Doesn't this splitting of the power distribution happen in the speaker crossover anyway? Please elaborate as to the benefits of biwiring.

I totally am clear about mono-bridging amps and its benefits. What I don't understand is how to drive the tweeter set and the woofer set of a speaker with TWO separate amps, whether horizontally biamped or vertically, with only having one set of pre outs to feed your amps.

I looked at the directions for the Sunfire Stereo amps, and they suggest setting them up in series (when bridged in mono) or using y-cables. Since I don't believe you can set up any of the Carver amps in series, are Y-cables a suitable alternative? Is it better to get a distribution amplifier? I hope my questions are not further confusing, and I appreciate any help.

Thanks.
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:18 am

A pair of "Y" cables is just fine for what you want to do.

I don't think the benefits of bi-amping are worth the price of extra cable. That's just me.

Return to Bi-Amp / Bi-Wire