Rich
Spender

Not the "gubment people" :lol:
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:43 pm

Re: Silver-7 Tubes on eBay

This has been ALOT of fun so far. I have never seen anything go that high that fast in 10 years of epray !!
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:49 am

James,, are the amps listed on e-bay the same units that you had at CF? Just curious,,as I thought the story behind those was quite interesting.Good luck with the sale.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:37 am

These are another set we picked up last month. The set of Silver-7s from CF are still packed away since CF.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:15 pm

I went to make a post last night, and my WiFi dropped out, and I lost the entire post. It was late, and I was tired so I didn't bother.
But I wanted to address a few things that Rabbit brought up, as questions on these amps. So here we go again.

Evidently, there seems to be some concern about the fact I was running the tube amps with no load (no speakers connected)
In fact, this IS a concern for the majority of tube amps. However, none of the Carver tube amps are affected by this.
The majority of tube amps WILL go into oscillation if there is no load placed on them. The Silver tube amps will NOT.
The circuit Bob designed is so stable, you can run these amps with an input signal... no load, and they will just sit there and purr away.
Where the majority of tube amps will start popping tubes like they are cheap light bulbs.

The other question I got was, Why is the right meter reading 0, as where the left bias meter is reading .2
The answer is, I took some of the photos before the output relay engaged on the right amp. The meters stay at 0 for about 4-5 minutes while the tubes are warming up.
The left amp was turned on before the right amp was. I saw a spot that needed dusting, and wound up turning on the right amp a few minutes later than the left.
Yes both meters work perfectly, and both read the same bias, around .2

I'll ask Bob to write up a little something on the circuitry and stability of the Silver amps, and post it here later.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:26 pm

how could anybody let those things sit in storage for 10 years........ :( :( :( :( :(

dreaming, maybe some day...... [-o<
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:09 am

Hey,James,, do you remember how many pairs of these were made? IIRC Bob said something like 50 pairs during one of his CF tutorials and Q&A.Thanks,and good luck with the sale.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:22 am

Unfortunately, no one really knows for sure. I am almost positive that the serial numbers start at 00101 though. I have one of the original 00101 tube chassis here.
So, the best thing we can do, is to get anyone that has a Silver-7 to let us know what their serial numbers are.

Bob is not really sure either. In the past he has said 50 pairs, and once he also said 100 pairs... when I cornered him on it, he said he really wasn't sure. But 50 pairs was most likely, because Carver would have ordered 100 sets of parts+ spare pars, which would only make up 50 pairs.

So until someone can show that they either have a serial number over 150, or under 101 I am sticking with only 50 pairs.
The chassis are also numbered in pairs... 00125L - 00125R - PWR 00125L - PWR 00125R
So if anyone has a set, they should all have the same matching numbers to be a complete set.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:02 pm

James, you might want to update the auction regarding these issues on Ebay to avoid any speculation from potential buyers. :-"
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:36 pm

naa... if anyone asks I can send them here to read it.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Bidding has really slowed down. Just under 5 hours to go!
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:03 pm

I'm starting to suspect my bid is in trouble.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:12 pm

how high did you bid :-$

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Toy Maker wrote:how high did you bid :-$

I believe he said $2.00~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:35 pm

I was able to bask in the glory for only exactly 90 seconds! \:D/ Then the hammer came down. ](*,)

My only hope is if all other 18 or so bidders above me get rejected (cause they don't love Carver and music as much as me!!) [-o< and I get restored to my proper place of glory!! :^o

Now, since everybody has their six minutes of fame...I'm thinking I'm still due 4 and half minutes!! Woo-hoo!!! 8)

Good luck with the finish James!! :D

Mark

ps....rib-it...rib-it....
PreviousNext

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies