FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:46 pm

Just bought my first Sunfire amp-- Selling my Carver gear

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: Just bought my first Sunfire amp-- Selling my Carver gea

I'm running a pair of Sunfire CRS-3s as front mains with the matching CRS-3c center channel all bi-wired with the current source driving the ribbons. I'm using a Denon AVR 2805 receiver as my preamp and I just replaced my old Velodyne FSR-15 sub with a Sunfire Signature 12. The sub I'm waiting for is a Klipsch RSW-12. I'd like to just keep one of the subs (financial limitations) but will run the pair for atleast the short term. I've had the RSW-15 before back when I had my Klipsch Chorus 2s and didn't think they worked well together-- the rsw is an amazing sub in its mid-bass capabilities, about 30hz-120hz, but the chorus 2s do quite well on their own from about 35hz and up, with plenty of chest thumping upper bass. I really felt like I was still lacking the lower end with the rsw-15. Then I found the Velodyne-- The velodyne 15 was a perfect match for the chorus 2s but when I replaced those for the sunfires, the velodyne suddenly sounded slow and really only seems to do well in the lower end. So, the hunt was on to replace my old RSW when I found the signature sub. I've never heard it before but have read many good reviews about it, so I took a chance and bought it. The very next day, a RSW-12 became available, so I bought it thinking that I could compare them side by side and sell the one I didn't want. The signature blows away the velodyne in every way possible with a growling low end that is second to none that i have ever heard. I think it sounds just as good or even better then a friend of mines SVS PB-12 Plus 2 sub thats the size of a small coffin and around 150lbs. Anyway, I already know the RSW-12 will not even touch the low end of the sunfire, but I think the mid-bass might just compliment my little speakers better. In a perfect world senerio, both subs together would probably work best, with the sunfire set at 50hz and below and running the rsw-12 all the way up to 120hz.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:16 pm

jjptkd wrote:I'm running a pair of Sunfire CRS-3s as front mains with the matching CRS-3c center channel all bi-wired with the current source driving the ribbons. I'm using a Denon AVR 2805 receiver as my preamp and I just replaced my old Velodyne FSR-15 sub with a Sunfire Signature 12. The sub I'm waiting for is a Klipsch RSW-12. I'd like to just keep one of the subs (financial limitations) but will run the pair for atleast the short term. I've had the RSW-15 before back when I had my Klipsch Chorus 2s and didn't think they worked well together-- the rsw is an amazing sub in its mid-bass capabilities, about 30hz-120hz, but the chorus 2s do quite well on their own from about 35hz and up, with plenty of chest thumping upper bass. I really felt like I was still lacking the lower end with the rsw-15. Then I found the Velodyne-- The velodyne 15 was a perfect match for the chorus 2s but when I replaced those for the sunfires, the velodyne suddenly sounded slow and really only seems to do well in the lower end. So, the hunt was on to replace my old RSW when I found the signature sub. I've never heard it before but have read many good reviews about it, so I took a chance and bought it. The very next day, a RSW-12 became available, so I bought it thinking that I could compare them side by side and sell the one I didn't want. The signature blows away the velodyne in every way possible with a growling low end that is second to none that i have ever heard. I think it sounds just as good or even better then a friend of mines SVS PB-12 Plus 2 sub thats the size of a small coffin and around 150lbs. Anyway, I already know the RSW-12 will not even touch the low end of the sunfire, but I think the mid-bass might just compliment my little speakers better. In a perfect world senerio, both subs together would probably work best, with the sunfire set at 50hz and below and running the rsw-12 all the way up to 120hz.

Wow, that sounds Awesome! You might want to put some money away to replace all the windows in your house when you crank it up! :lol:
<<

TORO3

M-400t CUBE

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:41 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:Put on a "chick" tune to be fair. Call the wife in to listen. Play the tune.
Plug in the new $2000 "whatever". Play the tune again for the wife.
Let her decide if there was a $2000 improvement. :-({|=

If that fails, go in search of a new family who understands you, jump off a bridge, or just be sneaky about it all.. If she could not hear the difference in before and after with the new 2k "whatever" - it is not actually there - 8)

I don't have a wife, but I told my GF that my CRM2s were cheaper than my Polk Towers. She said, "Wow...they sound so much better...and they're so much smaller!"

If I had told her how much they actually set me back she would have responded with A LOT of bias, which in turn wouldn't have been a genuine response. I prefer telling half-truths because they often give the answers I'm looking for...plus, I'm afraid of heights. 8-[
Sunfire CRM2s, Sunfire CRS3C, Sunfire Cinema Seven, Harmon Kardon AVR240, Sony RCD-W5000

UDUB Football!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:45 pm

I just got my Klipsch RSW-12 today and it performs just as I expected. Extremely musical and a perfect fit for the Sunfire CRS-3s. This thing blows away the signature sub 30hz and up, providing tight, punchy, clean bass that easily keeps up and blends in perfectly, like its not even there. Together, they sound like a very big pair of full range speakers. If your using crm-2s 0r the crs-3s with a sunfire sub your missing a lot of upper bass detail. Full review of my system with pics coming soon.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Previous

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies