FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:53 pm

Carver M-500t

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Carver M-500t

Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

ekog

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:44 am

Re: Carver M-500t

It's Gone
Main System Setup:
Pre: Carver C2 | Amp: Carver M-500t|Equilizer: Sansui SE99|Speakers: Polk SDA2’s
Source: Tuner: Carver TX-2| Phono: Technics SL-1210 MkII with a Ortofon VMS 20E Mk II| DirecTV DVR | Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc player | Samsung DVD/VHS player

Second System Setup:
Receiver: Yamaha RXV867| Fronts: Klipsch F-30's |Sub: Klipsch SW-112
Source: Radio |Internet/Network | Sony CDP-70 CD player
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:43 am

Gotta love those big meters!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:13 am

Ouch!

Unit works great, was powering Polk SDA for last 10 years
Krieckie, this is not a common ground amplifier if memory serves. If this is the case then he never enjoyed what the SDA's have to offer. #-o
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

1044InProgress

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:46 pm

kingman wrote:Gotta love those big meters!!!

Onkyo made some power amps with the biggest meters I've ever seen.. lol they just looked ridiculous. I'll see if I can find a picture.
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:53 pm

You meant like these.
or
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

ekog

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Re: Ouch!

treitz3 wrote:
Unit works great, was powering Polk SDA for last 10 years
Krieckie, this is not a common ground amplifier if memory serves. If this is the case then he never enjoyed what the SDA's have to offer. #-o

It can be used as a common ground Amplifier it just requires that you connect the speakers to the back of the Amp so that the neutral (could be hot I’m doing this from memory) wires share a single post on the back of the Amp there’s actually a diagram printed on the back of the Amp between the posts showing how to do this and its covered in detail on pages 6 and 7 of the user’s manual.
Main System Setup:
Pre: Carver C2 | Amp: Carver M-500t|Equilizer: Sansui SE99|Speakers: Polk SDA2’s
Source: Tuner: Carver TX-2| Phono: Technics SL-1210 MkII with a Ortofon VMS 20E Mk II| DirecTV DVR | Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc player | Samsung DVD/VHS player

Second System Setup:
<<

BillD

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:17 pm

If you do that, then one channel will be out of phase with the other.

ekog

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:04 pm

Yes this is covered by the manual.

From the M500t Owner’s Manual Pages 6, 7

A common ground switching system may be used you will have to connect the common ground wire to the black terminal marked “chassis”, and the two outside terminals (one black, and one red) become the “hot” signal leads and may then be routed through the switching system of your choice. (The red terminal marked “chassis” remains unused.) At this point, there is no electrical conflict in terms of ground or signal leads; however, in order to preserve phase integrity, the wires that connect to each left speaker in the system must be reversed 180.

The last line addresses the phase integrity issue that you mentioned sorry if I wasn’t specific enough in my last post.
Main System Setup:

Second System Setup:
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:27 pm

This all getting so complicated, I may just order a Bose radio and be done with it all. Actually, have no decent radio signals back here in the woods, but think some of those had a built in CD player. =D>
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:18 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:This all getting so complicated, I may just order a Bose radio and be done with it all. Actually, have no decent radio signals back here in the woods, but think some of those had a built in CD player. =D>

Get your self one of these OO. You'll get stations in the backwoods ! This is my bedside radio and alarm clock. I love it.
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radi ... dio-2.aspx
<<

BillD

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:34 pm

ekog wrote:Yes this is covered by the manual.

From the M500t Owner’s Manual Pages 6, 7

A common ground switching system may be used you will have to connect the common ground wire to the black terminal marked “chassis”, and the two outside terminals (one black, and one red) become the “hot” signal leads and may then be routed through the switching system of your choice. (The red terminal marked “chassis” remains unused.) At this point, there is no electrical conflict in terms of ground or signal leads; however, in order to preserve phase integrity, the wires that connect to each left speaker in the system must be reversed 180.

The last line addresses the phase integrity issue that you mentioned sorry if I wasn’t specific enough in my last post.
But, I'm confused how this works with Polk SDAs (which was how this all got started). How do you do the switcheroo at the Polks and still use the SDA capability (you're putting the hot on the ground there).

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Ok,

I was wanting to use the m500t on my SDAs for the time being.

I feel this was left unfinished so I need some clarity.

If not, then I'm thinking about using the amp in mono to run the sub for the time being. I'll look at the diagram on the back but someone want to explain it to me anyways.

Just don't want to screw anything up.
Carverfest 2010 quote...I can't explain it right now, I'm drunk...

GO BUCKEYES
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Brock- if you do not use the "SDA" cable- they are just normal speakers, so you can use them in that manner safely.
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:37 pm

Brock, you need what Jerry has. I think it's called the AI-1 Dreadnaught or something like that. It is specifically built to let you play any amp that is not a common ground amplifier on the SDA's with no loss of the sound dimensional array. He's not using his right now and I know he wants to get rid of it because he asked me if I wanted it at CF. Just give him a jingle or a PM.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
Next

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies