FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:39 am

Excellent !!- Carver AL-3 Plus, in black

<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:54 pm

Excellent !!- Carver AL-3 Plus, in black

After 5 years, still newbie? I forget the rule here, so will post as one, and we'll see. This would be something like my 5th(?) item posted/sold for sale here, and no complaints. Also have HUNDREDS all positive sales on the big auction site. !3 years, and not a single negative.

I have a pristine set of AL-3 Plus in black for sale/trade. The ribbons are in impeccable condition and so are the woofers.
Panels are in nearly scratch and mar free condition too. They have had VERY little use, and are 1996/97 vintage. Only negative, and that I don't consider to be the case myself, is the foam grill broke down so I only have it so it covers the woofer cabinet section, leaving those wonderful ribbons out where they can be seen and appreciated.

These are in Cleveland, Ohio. I'd be willing to meet within 200 miles, one way distance if needed, and if it helps you out. To do that, the panels would need to be separated from the woofer enclosures, which is really quite easy. Reassembly is just as easy. This because my tiny car is too small to move these any other way.

Items I might trade for: A reconditioned(new caps, etc.) Phase Linear 700 series 2. Sunfire amp., or an American made tube preamp, i.e. Audio Research., etc. What do you have you don't need and think I might want?

I picked these up from a fiend of a friend, who's father( who was the original owner) passed away years ago, and they had just sat there unused since. Bought them, had them delivered, THEN remembered I don't have the space or the amplifiers needed for them! I can take some crappy pictures and send them to interested parties. Crummy camera, and a poor photographer! I'll do my best.

Trade would be fine, depending etc., OR if you want to make me a cash offer, that works too. Just be realistic, 'cause my dog bites!
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:06 pm

Re: Excellent !!- Carver AL-3 Plus, in black

Phase Linear 700 series 2. Sunfire amp.
...I see you are no stranger to power!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

HRDROKN

TFM-45

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:37 pm

WOW... that sounds like a nice pair! Too bad you're not on the left coast.... :(
HRDROKN
MC-7P tube preanp, BBE2002R, Marchand XM44, TFM-35x .002, TFM-35x, M1.0t MKII .002, M500t, Silver 7t's, SDA-360 and Klipsch KLF-30's w/crites crossovers...
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:47 pm

What price are you asking to BUY them?
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:58 pm

Well, was hoping for some trades really. My other "high efficiency" speakers are Dahlquist DQ-10's, and DQ-20's, which are also notorious amplifier demanding speakers, especially the 10's. Still, not nearly as power hungry as the Carvers which is mainly because the Dahlquist are more friendly to Near Field listening, while the AL-3's seem better at 8' minimum. Gotta move a lot more room air then. I've had at least 4 sets of the AL-3's over the years, but forgot they like a truly solid amp behind them. Beemers has been here when I had my built like a tank Soundcraftsmen amps hooked up to AL-3's. Though close in power rating, my current amp just doesn't compare for demanding loads.

I'm down to a little old Kenwood Basic M2A amp, which actually is a very good sounding amp, and is rated at 220 watts into 8 ohms, and 345 watts into 4. However, it just can't deliver much current. It huffs and puffs with the 10's, but still manages to sound respectable. However, the fan comes on almost immediately with the AL-3's, then after 10 minutes it shuts itself down and takes a coffee break.

All of which brought the lack of authoritative amplification to my attention. I'm not locked into just the mentioned units, so if someone has an alternative they think I might like; send me a message. I had the Phase Linear 700B, and I thought it was a beauty. I also had the 700 series 2, and although Bob didn't design that one, I liked it just a hair more. The 400, either the original or the series 2 just didn't have the power reserves of it's bigger brother, and I've killed several with speakers like the DQ-10's, let alone the Carver ribbons. I know i could bi-amp the AL-3's, but then we still have the too small of a room problem, AND I'd be buying another amp too. It seems good, clean, well maintained amplifiers are hard to find. Maybe others here have noticed how you'll see $300 amps in questionable operating condition, then jump up to thousands of dollar amps. Seems like the in betweens have vanished! They are definitely hard to find around here!

I was therefore mainly thinking of a trade, but if someone felt they really wanted these, and have a cash offer, I'd entertain that. Sorry about the long post, but I wanted to make myself clearer. I didn't have a selling price in mind when I posted, and still am not really sure what is appropriate?
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:50 am

Planerguy wrote:
I was therefore mainly thinking of a trade, but if someone felt they really wanted these, and have a cash offer, I'd entertain that. Sorry about the long post, but I wanted to make myself clearer. I didn't have a selling price in mind when I posted, and still am not really sure what is appropriate?

If "IF" I was closer I would offer some type of trade but as it is for me that would not work but Good Luck...
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

kingman

Post Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:17 am

Planerguy wrote:Well, was hoping for some trades really. My other "high efficiency" speakers are Dahlquist DQ-10's, and DQ-20's, which are also notorious amplifier demanding speakers, especially the 10's. Still, not nearly as power hungry as the Carvers which is mainly because the Dahlquist are more friendly to Near Field listening, while the AL-3's seem better at 8' minimum. Gotta move a lot more room air then. I've had at least 4 sets of the AL-3's over the years, but forgot they like a truly solid amp behind them. Beemers has been here when I had my built like a tank Soundcraftsmen amps hooked up to AL-3's. Though close in power rating, my current amp just doesn't compare for demanding loads.

I'm down to a little old Kenwood Basic M2A amp, which actually is a very good sounding amp, and is rated at 220 watts into 8 ohms, and 345 watts into 4. However, it just can't deliver much current. It huffs and puffs with the 10's, but still manages to sound respectable. However, the fan comes on almost immediately with the AL-3's, then after 10 minutes it shuts itself down and takes a coffee break.

All of which brought the lack of authoritative amplification to my attention. I'm not locked into just the mentioned units, so if someone has an alternative they think I might like; send me a message. I had the Phase Linear 700B, and I thought it was a beauty. I also had the 700 series 2, and although Bob didn't design that one, I liked it just a hair more. The 400, either the original or the series 2 just didn't have the power reserves of it's bigger brother, and I've killed several with speakers like the DQ-10's, let alone the Carver ribbons. I know i could bi-amp the AL-3's, but then we still have the too small of a room problem, AND I'd be buying another amp too. It seems good, clean, well maintained amplifiers are hard to find. Maybe others here have noticed how you'll see $300 amps in questionable operating condition, then jump up to thousands of dollar amps. Seems like the in betweens have vanished! They are definitely hard to find around here!

Best non answer in a while!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:51 am

Thought I'd throw on a picture. Hopefully it will turn out...
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:44 pm

You would probably fare better putting a price on the AL III's and then purchase what you are looking for. Whoever gets your speakers will more than likely want to use the very same gear you are looking for to drive them....Good Luck in your quest!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Perhaps so. I'd take $725 cash from a Carver Audio member, or if I end up on CL, the 'bay, etc. I'll ask a good $100 more. I've had may set of ALS, Silvers. Platinums, AL-3's. These are the closest to new condition I've seen.
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:11 pm

Nice speakers! I snagged the last pair he had up and carted them to CF.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:21 pm

*Update - Not currently available. I may repost at a later date. I picked up a second amp. and am having a good result via bi-amping. Thanks for the interest and responses.*
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:12 pm

**UPDATE** THESE ARE AVAILABLE AGAIN, AND NOW FOR DIRT CHEAP!! I NEED THE ROOM, SO THEY MUST GO SOON!!

New foam grills, New Carver Logo's(Thanks James), PERFECT RIBBONS, etc. Black Oak.
Wonderful condition!

$500 !!!!!!!! Pickup only. Cleveland Ohio. Paypal will hold them if you're 'festing; they'll be put in storage till you can pick them up. I need them out of the room asap so CL with attendant appointments for demo'ing is not an option.

*Someone let Tom know, he has a soft spot for these, and knows the way here.*

Located in Cleveland, Ohio.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

They would probably sell quickly on Audiogon if you do not get a buyer here! GLWS!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

kingman

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Someone help me with pickup???? Bring to the fest???? :-s
Next

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies