FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:50 am

"The Carver Receiver"

<<

CORetiree

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:04 pm

"The Carver Receiver"

I was going through my old stereo equipment this afternoon to haul to the electronics recycler, and I found my old Carver receiver. I'm not sure what model it is; the only description on the Receiver or in the manual is "The Carver Receiver". An MXR-150 maybe? I bought it in Feb1988.

It worked fine the last time I used it except that the speaker outputs were cutting out.

I hate to scrap it if there's someone who can use it. Is there a demand for these? If so, what's it worth?

Don in SW Colorado
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: "The Carver Receiver"

What you want shipped to SC???
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:19 pm

I can fix it.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

CORetiree

Post Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:35 pm

I would prefer to sell to someone that can use it rather than have it repaired, since I don't need it. This is an excellent candidate for refurbishment. Make an offer. The receiver includes the walnut case if you want it. I'll pass along shipping at my cost.
<<

CORetiree

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:12 pm

I thought this website would help me establish a value for my receiver. Guess not.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:26 pm

CORetiree wrote:I thought this website would help me establish a value for my receiver. Guess not.

We don't do "auctions" here. If you want to sell your receiver give a price.

Most of our members are well beyond a receiver so there will not be a great deal of interest but we will offer help if we can. And we did.

Put it on Ebay if you want to auction it.
<<

kingman

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 pm

frankieD wrote:
CORetiree wrote:I thought this website would help me establish a value for my receiver. Guess not.

We don't do "auctions" here. If you want to sell your receiver give a price.

Most of our members are well beyond a receiver so there will not be a great deal of interest but we will offer help if we can. And we did.

Put it on Ebay if you want to auction it.

AMEN Frankie!!!! =D>
<<

CORetiree

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:04 pm

Thank you for the feedback. This is supposed to be the Newbie forum, but like so many other sites, Newbies are supposed to know everything already. I thought I could get some help here.

Bye.
<<

kingman

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:33 pm

I hate to scrap it if there's someone who can use it
...Your wording says it all. You intended to throw it away and wondered if anyone wanted it. I answered you with a reply. Beemers answered you with a fix. If all you wanted to do was find a price to sell it for Frankie answered that. I don't think you want help, I think you want to sell a broken receiver and let someone take a chance on it here. Obviously it's only worth shipping, otherwise there would be more interest. We don't want to run off anyone who wants to contribute but we do spot people who are just here for personal gain. I want you to stay and contribute to the forum if you are still interested in Carver equipment but by your post you simply want to scrap what Carver gear you have and get someting for it. I say if this is true, have a yardsale. By the way...bye....
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Well said Wayne !!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:55 pm

The average price on a fully functional receiver is probably around $150 at best. One with the outputs cutting out, could be a number of things. I feel $25-50 is a fair asking price IF it's fixable & not a boat anchor.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

CORetiree

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:31 pm

Thank you TNRabbit. That's all I wanted to know. Now I have some idea what to expect on eBay.

I apologize to everyone else for not being a Carver expert. I am just trying to save my trusty old Carver receiver from the scrap pile. I didn't know until I found this website that there are folks who still value them. It is most assuredly not a boat anchor - it's probably one of the nicest original Carver receivers out there.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:06 pm

No one is asking you to be an expert. However, we tend to get a little sensitive about "hit and run" members who just drop by to try to make a buck. Apologies to you if that was not your intent~

Good luck on your sale. Check with Tom at Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh (google) ...he might want to buy it outright to fix & flip.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:22 pm

It probably has value as a "parts bitch" even if it NEVER works again. But that value is (like Rabbit stated) not much above the cost to ship it to someone. Pics would help a lot (apollogies if u posted them already). Also, you might want to loose the yellow letter font. It's unreadable (w/o highlighting the text) for those of us in "old forum" mode (i.e., normal white background). Easy to just not bother... Post some pics...someone (self included) might give you ~$50 bucks for it - shipping included - especially if it has all the knobs/buttons - Ed
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies