CARVER RESEARCH LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE

If you are new to the forum... (less than 50 post member) you are welcome to list your For Sale items here. Members with 50+ posts, will automatically gain access to the larger Marketplace.
jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: CARVER RESEARCH LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE

Post by jjptkd » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Magnaryder wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:53 pm
Still too much money. I paid less than he wants for a pristine Lightstar amp and preamp.

ray
At $2500 its getting more reasonable and will likely sell if he comes down much more. As much as I like the idea of valuing things at the "I bought one for this amount" or "I've seen one sell for this amount" that's really not an accurate way to gauge prices especially on hard (if not impossible) to find items.
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post by kingman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:05 pm

Especially in a Lightstar. There are few made and people willing to sell for old school prices have dried up. I know the price would be high to take one of the less than 75 produced.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:42 am

I want to break down the value of a Lightstar 1 amplifier (as I see it)

We (the Sauter Clan) have 7 LS-1 amplifiers and 3 LS Preamps.
As far as I know, only 1 of the 7 "was" working correctly 4-5 years ago, last time it was used.

EVERY single LS-1 amplifier NEEDS to be fully re-capped !!! No if-ands-or-buts!
There is also a 100% MUST DO ASAP resistor change that if not done, can and will result in the entire channel of the amplifier frying itself (literal fire)

The capacitors used in that amp are some of the worst caps that were available at the time it was produced. From my understanding, Roland and TomZ are the only 2 people so far that have done full re-caps of this amplifier.

TomZ and I sat down right after he had finished the re-cap and discussed the project. He had rebuilt one for a friend of his, and said he wouldn't do another one, unless he charged twice as much.

Having 6-7 amps that all need to be recapped... here's how I value them.

If the amps did not "have" to be fully recapped, and were in good cosmetic condition, I would say that they are worth about $1500-2000, about the same value as any other decent, vintage 300w amplifier.

However... There are a few facts that add to these amplifiers value.
1) They are ultra rare. Less than 100 made, so far we think there were only 75
2) They can run ANY load you throw at them.
3) They look amazing... like they just got pulled out of a tank.
4) Cool Factor / Bragging Rights / Collect-ability

So, depending on what type of value you choose to add to each of those, that could bring the value up to $2000-2500-3000...
Now back to the re-cap....
Figure, if you are willing to pay $2000-3000 for a solid working amplifier... then you would probably have no problem spending $1000 to re-cap it after 30 years either. So now you have $3000-4000 invested. Which is funny, because 30 years ago, they were $4000 brand new.

I figure:
Good condition LS-1 that has been fully re-capped is worth $4000+
Good condition, fully working, but needs to be re-capped $2000-3000
Good condition, NOT working... $500-1000 at best.
As the cosmetic condition goes down, as does the value.

The LS-1 on ebay right now, is in pretty poor cosmetic condition, and NEEDS to be re-capped...
So say we start at $2500, because it is working, deduct the $1000 service fee, and deduct another $500-1000 for the crappy condition...
Me personally, I wouldn't spend any more than $1000 as-is... If I REALLY wanted it. But then again, I already have quite a few, so I am probably more picky than someone looking to get their hands on their 1st one.
Someone willing to spend the $2500 plus the $1000 to re-cap it will still have one hell of a bad-ass amp in the end... but it will always be rough looking.

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:46 pm

Well said.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

Snoop65
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Snoop65 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:51 pm

My Lightstar was completely rebuilt and modded by Peter Ledermann from SoundSmith in 2002 with help from Bob. It has been trouble free ever since and sounds amazing.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+Cayin CDT-17a =WOW!!!!!!

Return to “Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies”