FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:41 pm

Carver Platinum Mark IV

<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:50 pm

Re: Carver Platinum Mark IV

It sounds like I should Bypass the internal Xover go with a DBX and have Ribbons take 200hz and up and the subs take 200hz and below and then use one of the 1.5t amps for the L/R Ribbons and the other 1.5t amp for the L/R Sub's,,,Is this correct? If so pretty easy so far! I do plan on re-wiring the Subs with thicker cable so I may just cut and bypass the subs at that point. Thanks everyone and if I am wrong here jump in and yell at me...
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:36 pm

What I'd do is leave the ribbon crossover in so it can take care of the ribbon non-linearities, but disconnect the subs and run them direct up to the 200Hz cross point (the internal crossover I believe crosses below that, and you don't want a hole in your response curve). Then use the electronic crossover to cross at any frequency you desire ABOVE the internal ribbon crossover point.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

spl

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:39 pm

I believe Clearview was bought over by Audio-X-Stream which I believe is now defunct which was started by a gentleman named Rudi Blondia.

Here is a link to some info on these crossovers:

http://www.audioxstream.com/cxrframe.html

Anybody interested may want to see if they can hunt one down in the used market. Currently, the Carver ribbons and woofers are good, not great, in my opinion. This is compared to what is available TODAY. Back when they were first introduced, they were the speakers to beat for their price. However, other loudspeaker companies who make much more refined and robust versions, but they are obscenely expensive.

There is now doubt that to get the best from a "Carver" style loudspeaker you must do the following:

1. Separate baffles (or enclosures) for the ribbons and the woofers
2. External active DSP crossover
3. A large enough room to let them really get down and boogie

This gives you infinite ability to fine tune the speakers to your personal tastes - different preamps, amps, toe in, tilt, etc.

Just my 2 cents...
<<

Brucest

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Carver Platinum MK IV for sale

Biamped, Behringer Xover, extra ribbon, new woofers. $1500.
<<

ViperZ

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Carver Platinum MK IV for sale

And your location is? =D>
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:09 pm

Bi-amping your speakers IS a good thing !!! BUT, I am pretty sure you have messed up the equalization in doing so.
Almost ALL speakers have internal "passive" equalization in them. By removing the crossovers all together, you have also "de-tuned" them.
I know, because I did the same thing myself. And it took Bob Carver about 5 hours to re-tune them using a 31 band EQ.
There are notch filters for the ribbons around 6000-7000 Hz, and some other stuff going on in there.
The clearview crossover DOES compensate for the EQ. It is a 2-way crossover AND an active EQ to re-tune the drivers.
I have one, and I am using it, but it's on its way to Tom pretty soon.

Here's Bob tweakin' away !!! 8) As you can see the EQ on top, is anything but flat.

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:17 pm

Hmm...why the new thread, Brucest?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
Previous

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies