It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 am

NewBees must smell bad

<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: NewBees must smell bad

Good luck on Toy Maker sending you anything 8)
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:48 pm

BillD wrote:Good luck on Toy Maker sending you anything 8)

-ha ha ha, so ive read :D
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:01 pm

Here is another post for me. I am also trying to get into that exclusive club of a non NewBee! LOL. I have tried to add some meaning and some insite to the fourm but you guys know way too much for me to comment much at all.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

BillD

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:23 pm

Just do like most of us do — make it up as you go along :D

atwaterkent

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Yeah, this is elitest syndrome gone wild.........
It's not like owning a piece of carver gear makes you special or somethin...
You, if you keep the group contolled ...well, I guess it's safer that way....

I wonder if Bob Carver approves of this elitest separation.....?

Maybe someone should ask...
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:08 pm

atwaterkent wrote:Yeah, this is elitest syndrome gone wild.........

"atwaterkent",

Welcome to the club, and I love that screen name. Atwater Kent made some of the most beautiful radio consoles back in the early days of audio gear:

Anyway, don't get to bent out of shape about the "newbie" designation on your profile. EVERYONE gets that designation when they join. When you get 50 posts, you'll be bumped up to the next designation. Your "member designation" really doesn't confirm any sort of status or privilege on this forum. We are pretty much a meritocracy--people are judged by their contribution, knowledge, and experience. If you just want to sit back, lurk, read, and learn, that is perfectly fine--most of the members fall into that category. If you have information to share, or projects to discuss, or just want to talk about your favorite music, that's great too. We are a very open-minded group here, and we don't care if your rig has 100 pieces of Carver gear, or none at all (Treitz... :-s )--if you contribute posts that are informative, thought-provoking, interesting, or just plain humorous, you will soon find that you are "one of the guys". If you just post occasionally, and spend most of your time on this forum reading other people's posts, that's cool too, but we won't know much about you.

I've met most of the "senior" members at the last two CarverFests (including having the great honor to meet Bob Carver himself at CF'08!) and I can tell you that these guys are about the most NON-elitist group of audio nuts I've ever met. I've been in the "audiophile" scene for over 20 years, and believe me, there are some REAL elitist schmucks out there, but this forum is an egalitarian free-for-all compared to most of the "high-end" brand forums...

And actually, owning (and loving) Carver gear DOES make us special. We are a group of people who love gear made by one of the most brilliant and controversial minds in the field. We help each other out, we share stories, knowledge, and troubles. We are working together--drawing on a TREMENDOUSLY diverse pool of knowledge to keep our beloved (and quickly becoming "vintage") gear alive and operating at peak performance. We are fans, we are devotees, and we ARE special, because we care--about our gear, about Bob Carver and his delightfully innovative designs, but most importantly, we care about squeezing the most out of our gear, so that we can enjoy our favorite music.

I'm not sure how you feel this forum has slighted you. We put certain restrictions on the "For Sale" section to discourage "hit and run" posts--this is a forum fo rpeople who love, and are dedicated to Carver Gear. We are a COMMUNITY, not a swap meet. If you are on here just to dump some gear for a quick buck, then you're probably going to have more success on EBAY.

But if you want to talk about Carver gear, or pretty much ANY other stereo or HT-related topic, we welcome you, and look forward to your input.

So again, I say "welcome", and we all look forward to your future posts, and getting to know you a little better...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

BillD

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:16 pm

Go ahead. The rules of the forum have been discussed at length many times, and there are reasons for them, including people who just come here to dump their non-working gear or get a free manual to help them do so. We pride ourselves in our ability to sell and trade equipment with each other without fear of loss, both economic and emotional. Before those rights are bestowed, there is a waiting process for the members to get to know you. You have no entitlement here — you have to earn it.

Oh, and what Dreamer said, too. :D

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:31 pm

atwaterkent wrote:Yeah, this is elitest syndrome gone wild.........

See..If ya would have responded to each of these comments would just have about 50 post and you wouldnt be smelly....... :-& ...Just kiddin , welcome to the club...!!!
Last edited by stevewithrow on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 am

Welcome to the forum! I really enjoy the folks here, they are down to earth and really care about helping you even if you have stupid questions. Listen to Dreamer and his wise words, he has a way to explain things that are easy to understand in our newbie minds > and also throws in some history of the subject. My hat's off to Dreamer!
Welcome again!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:09 am

What sucks is that I'm a senior member and I smell. [-(

Shit happens, but at least I have fabric softener.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:18 am

If you check the original poster's profile, he's been a member since 2003 but only has 12 posts! This thread was started on 26 Nov 08 but he hasn't made a post since then......?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:39 am

Some folks just have a 'tude. Their problem, not ours.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:41 am

Just to get all you tube-heads worked up, here are some Atwater Kent radio links. They made some BEAUTIFUL gear back in the day.

Try not to drool on your keyboards...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwater_Kent

http://www.atwaterkentradio.com/

http://www.atwaterkent.info/

http://www.amug.org/~jthomas/ak.html

http://www.antiqueradio.org/ak.htm
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:57 am

Wiki text for posterity:

Arthur Atwater Kent (1873–1949) was an inventor and prominent radio manufacturer based in Philadelphia. In 1921, he patented the modern form of the automobile ignition coil.

He was born December 3, 1873 to a family of moderate means. His father was a doctor who had also been a machinist, and who maintained a machine shop in Worcester, Massachusetts when Arthur was a child. Kent attended Worcester Polytechnic Institute in the 1890s but dropped out twice without receiving a degree. During this time the Kent Electric Manufacturing Company was launched, which created a number of small electric motors, fans, and later automobile ignition systems.

In 1902 Kent set up a new company in Philadelphia, which produced an expanding range of electrical products, including early telephones, automobile horns, and further developments with electric ignition systems. During World War I his factory also produced equipment for the American military, such as theodolites for artillery gunners to determine the range to their target, and a clinometer for use on rifles.

In 1921 Kent produced his first radio components, selling them do-it-yourself kits consisting of "breadboards" that could be assembled by early radio enthusiasts. In 1923 his firm started producing complete radio sets, using a facility on Stenton Avenue. In 1924 the company moved to a new $2 million plant at 4745 Wissahickon Avenue in North Philadelphia. This plant, constructed in sections, would eventually cover 32 acres (130,000 m2). In 1925 the Atwater Kent Manufacturing Company became the largest maker of radios in the nation. The company also sponsored the popular The Atwater Kent Hour, a top-rated radio concert music program heard on NBC and CBS from 1926 to 1934. The show featured top entertainment and became one of the most popular and acclaimed regular radio programs of the era. At its peak in 1929, the company employed over 12,000 workers manufacturing nearly one million radio sets. The plant itself was an architectural sensation and received hundreds of visitors annually. By 1931 the company boasted that it had produced over three million radios.

The onset of the Great Depression greatly hampered sales volumes of Atwater's premium radio sets, and the recent invention of the superheterodyne circuit meant that new firms could easily enter the market without the same level of capital investment Kent had put into his production process, which relied on heavy metal presses for the relatively large radio chassis the firm produced.[8] The firm stopped producing radios and briefly shifted to making refrigerators before Kent decided to retire and sell off the business.

In 1937, Kent helped organize and pay for the restoration of the Betsy Ross House in Center City Philadelphia. In 1938, Kent helped found the Atwater Kent Museum of Philadelphia, Philadelphia's city history museum.

Kent's son-in-law, William L. Van Alen, is the founder of the United States Court Tennis Association.

Kent is buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

PeteW

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:36 pm

This is one of my favorite tube pieces:
http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_p ... Valve.html

It autobias's for any tube put into it and each tube can completely change the sound and character of the amp. It looks a lot better with the cover off too.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w112 ... CN0840.jpg
2-Channel System (the pool room):
Carver C-1 -> Soundcraftsmen MA5002A -> Martin Logan "The Sequel"
Also Onix XCD-99 -> Parasound TDQ-1600 -> Squeezebox Classic
PreviousNext

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies