FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Carver mk II series audio amplifiers

<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:31 pm

Re: Carver mk II series audio amplifiers

BillD wrote:So the tops and bottoms are off all those amps?....
Yes, the top and bottom lids are removed. Now I have a pile of lids to store ;(
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Just a post for a link inside the message (instead of my sig) so google analytics will count Carveraudio.com as a refferal.....

http://carvermk2.com
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:07 am

Cool =D> =D> =D> =D>
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:47 pm

New to the site; a Forum......get to the forum through the 'contacts' tab

http://carvermk2.com
<<

throughthewire

Post Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:31 am

RichP714 wrote:They are naked inside, and the entire cabinet serves as the 'chassis'. Three intake fans on the bottom and three exhaust fans on top, activated by thermistor.

Aha. I wondered about that when I saw your avatar. I had just a single pair of M-500ts stacked on top of each other for about 15 years, and I wonder whether the eventual problems which caused me to retire them were due to them 'baking' in their own thermal chimney for so long.

I bet your setup works very well! (And I'm jealous of your stack o' 500ts!)

Any plans/possibilities of performing your "Mk II" treatment on a 4.0?

Chuck
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:39 pm

throughthewire wrote:
RichP714 wrote:They are naked inside, and the entire cabinet serves as the 'chassis'. Three intake fans on the bottom and three exhaust fans on top, activated by thermistor.

Aha. I wondered about that when I saw your avatar. I had just a single pair of M-500ts stacked on top of each other for about 15 years, and I wonder whether the eventual problems which caused me to retire them were due to them 'baking' in their own thermal chimney for so long.

I bet your setup works very well! (And I'm jealous of your stack o' 500ts!)

Any plans/possibilities of performing your "Mk II" treatment on a 4.0?

Chuck
The 4.0 layout uses hard to work on vertical circuit boards instead of the nice, open layout of the M-1.0t, so there will be no mk II project from ME dealing with a 4.0
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:53 pm

Now that saddens me. :( :( :( :(
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

donwass65

Post Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:52 pm

Rich,
Are you running these things as mono amps or stereo? I know you've said in past threads that it takes away from the low end to bridge the amps. Can you run them off of one channel or the other as a mono amp and use their power sharing as extra headroom or what is the best way to do this? Also is there much of a sonic difference between these two amps? I have never been able to detect much of a sonic difference between any Carver amp. And I have listened to Sunfire amps alongside Mcintosh ones and there is not much difference either. They both have a relaxed and smooth sound. Rolland of Carver Repair has stated that he always preferred the sound of the M1.0 over all other carver products but I have never heard the 1.0. Any thoughts...
-Don

Carver M500t (2). Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp, Sunfire Signature 600, Carver CT-17, Carver TX-11A, Carver AV-505, Carver TL-3220, Thorens TD320 with AKG cartridge, JBL 120TI's, Vandersteen 2Wq Sub, Carver HR 752, Infinity Primus 250's, Denon DVD2910, Pioneer SX 1250 boat anchor, plus assorted odds and ends.
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:20 pm

donwass65 wrote:Rich,
Are you running these things as mono amps or stereo? I know you've said in past threads that it takes away from the low end to bridge the amps. Can you run them off of one channel or the other as a mono amp and use their power sharing as extra headroom or what is the best way to do this? Also is there much of a sonic difference between these two amps? I have never been able to detect much of a sonic difference between any Carver amp. And I have listened to Sunfire amps alongside Mcintosh ones and there is not much difference either. They both have a relaxed and smooth sound. Rolland of Carver Repair has stated that he always preferred the sound of the M1.0 over all other carver products but I have never heard the 1.0. Any thoughts...
I'm not very big on monoblocking a stereo amp; to me the low end gets mushy. Un my rig all the amps are running stereo (even the center channel, although I'm only using one channel of it).

IME, the best way to use a stereo amp for a single channel is as you said, run only one channel to one speaker; the amp will borrow unused curent from the common capacitor pool. It won't SPEC as high with a steady test tone, but it will throw every bit of dynamic current through the load, which is what music is anyway.

Everon'e s ears are different, but the M-500t and M-1.0t are my two favorite Carver amps.
Previous

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies