FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Anybody want a set of these?

<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Anybody want a set of these?

BillD wrote:But that begs the question, was it the crossover or not. Physically, they look identical, and I'm sure the ribbon and the woofers are the same. Did Bob make subtle changes to the baffle, too?

The ribbon opening is different. The Platinum series have the narrower opening. The ribbon was out of phase in relationship to the woofer array. Eczel said he couldn't hear it, but it bothered him on principle. The Silver series loudspeakers appear to have the same width opening as the platinums, just shorter in length to accomodate the 48" ribbon.

ray
Last edited by Magnaryder on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Shure V15 type IIIG cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:02 pm

Thanks, Ray. Interesting.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

fstik

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:59 pm

Okay, so I hooked these MKIV crossovers up to my ghetto plat upgrades to test for you guys that have expressed interest.

Ran them with a Sunfire Signature 600 X 2 amp and they sound awesome! I like the ability to fine tune/balance the bass, mids, and high end without having an active crossover.

While I was at it, I finally got around to bi-amping my AL3+ speakers with 4 of the 5 channels from a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200 X 5 (400 watt at 4 ohms, I believe). Really opened up these speakers as well. Rounded up the system with a Sunfire Signature subwoofer.

The end result was a system that sounds SAHWEEET!

Can't wait until tomorrow (too late tonight) to bring up the levels...

Unfortunately, I have decided to keep the MKIV crossovers installed in my Plats. Sorry if I crushed anyone's dreams by leading them on. 8-[

To try and end on an upbeat, I will be offering my regular Platinum crossovers for $75.00 or best offer.

fstik
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:54 am

Magnaryder wrote:
BillD wrote:While we're here, what was the difference between the Mk IV and regular plats other than the crossover?

according to pete eczel Bob address the phase issue and tonal balance. article said it ranked with the best large signal loudspeakers of the time.

IIRC there are still several magazine hacks who use it as part of their reference system.

ray

How do you know which is which? I'm looking for my manual bugt haven't found it yet
Carverfest 2010 quote...I can't explain it right now, I'm drunk...

GO BUCKEYES
<<

Asoundpainter

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:23 pm

New to the forum but are these still available?
<<

fstik

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:48 pm

I kept the MKIV crossovers, and the regular Plat crossovers have been sold.

Thanks,

fstik
Previous

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies