Top Audiophile quality recordings

Talk about different types of music
Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Top Audiophile quality recordings

Post by Chauss » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:20 pm

I thought it would be cool to have a post for others to come to and find recordings that may show off the capabilities of their system. If this has already been done here before- I appologize and you can delete this thread.

Please list your favorite "audiophile" quality recordings including album title, artist, recording label and format.
I will start-
Cafe Blue- Patricia Barber, Blue Note Records - CD
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

PDR
TFM-45

Re: Top Audiophile quality recordings

Post by PDR » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Piece by piece-Katie Melua-Dramatico-CD

frankieD
Frankie The Mouth

Post by frankieD » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Almost any Steely Dan album.

Dire straits-Brothers in arms

Jazz live at the Pawn shop....Arne Domnerus

The Eagles...Long road out of eden.

That should hold you for a while.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Good post as usual Chauss. Maybe it is the 3 Torpedo ales that Tom turned me on to that is lubricating my mind. Tom knows his beer. =D>

Most likely no one will delete your post. Tom only does that when HE goes one over the line and needs to clean up his tracks the next day. Just last week we saw him delete his own posts, but no one called him on it as he is the man. (damn I wish I could also do that here ](*,) )

I try to never argue here, so try to over look it this one time as I enjoy another Torpedo Ale.

Before we can look into "Audiophile" recordings, we need to determine what "audiophile" means. I read more on the web than most as I am young and inquisitive. Also, one can do that sitting on their ass. :lol: Audiophile is a ghostly term. Are you one? Am I one? Who are those guys? What are the rules for the club? =; =; =;
This is your thread, so you get to make the rules. Do that please - :evil:
Tell us who is in the audiophile club, or at least why we should give a damn.

I just put up a post on my audio blog about Donald Fagen. Many think his work is good enough to set your system up with and I agree. Yes, now I am an official reviewer of older music. In one week, over 200 hits. In a year they will be sending me free things to review, and I will need more bandwidth and Al Gore will shouting at me on national TV (well at least the Current Channel :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

On the other hand, audio systems vary so much. I often a read on a forum from an "audiophile" as to his new ipod playback thing. It sounds damned good to him. Can ipods guys be audiophiles? I think the closest I ever came was my intense "listening" to tunes over my one transistor as you had to put that one ear plug in deep to get the feel of the tunes.

Being an old fart, I have been in total love with many innovations with less quality than ipods. Dick just posted about all his great collection of LPs, and 8 track tapes and a "few CDs" . Is he an audiophile? If not he --WHO ??

I have had excellent music for many years, with a lot less equipment than I have now. Like most, I really liked the tunes when I was a tyke and it just snow balled over the years -> a common storyline here. :rolleyes:

I think I am a tuneophile. (did I misspell that)

One of my favorite LPs is KEITH JARRETT THE KOLHN CONCERT.
This springs to mind as over the weekend I got a used CD of it on ebay and am watching the mail for arrival.
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Can one guy at a piano be audiophile quality? I like it, but I am just a tuneophile.
Can you set your system up with it?
I suspect not.

Chauss the only throw back to old posts you might have missed was when I talked cabin hopping. I surmised all would be playing the same Krall, SD, DS, etc to show off their systems. I was kinda turned off on it at the time, but now I have done a 180 as with out the standards I know, how can I judge and learn?
When the Rabbit gets here in Sept and sits in this very chair, putting on THE NIGHTFLY so he can listen and help me adjust as I have no idea what I am doing right or wrong.

Thanks for tickling my brain Chauss.

P/S many new guys PM me that they like my long posts as opposed to one liners from most of you turds. Well actually, it was just one guy, but soon it will be an avalanche, right Dan?

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Post by TNRabbit » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:04 pm

That's a good one, Dan.

I think there are actually more than a couple similar threads....

But when I have a chance to go upstairs & look through my CDs I'll post a few favs....
Last edited by TNRabbit on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:09 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
But when I have a chance to go upstairs & look through my CDs I'll post a few favs....
.... like those are not already in the bag for CF -- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post by Chauss » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:58 pm

au·dio·phile
noun \ˈȯ-dē-ō-ˌfī(-ə)l\
Definition of AUDIOPHILE
: a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction
See audiophile defined for kids »
First Known Use of AUDIOPHILE
Rhymes with AUDIOPHILE
amphiprostyle, archaic smile, circular file, Germanophile, Indian file, in the woodpile, Italophile, once in a while, vertical file
Browse
Next Word in the Dictionary: audiospectrograph
Previous Word in the Dictionary: Audion
All Words Near: audiophile

To me an audiophile is someone who strives to get the playback of recorded music as close to a "live" experience as possible. The "quality" of the recording being played has a VERY large part in the audiophiles success in his/ her endeavor....and this becomes more and more apparent each time you spend that 1,000 to get the .001 difference on the NEXT item to better your system then the next and next and so on....before you know it you have well over 20K wrapped up in a system that nobody else may be able to hear the subtle differences because they have not lived with it as you have.

Jazz at the Pawnshop by Arne Domnerus is probably the MOST renowned success of a recording engineer in history for capturing the "live" sound of the event.

To answer your question OO- It is any recording that has the ability to transcend you into another space or the artists on the recording into your space as you listen to the playback. The recording engineer has more to do with the end result than the actual musical talent. The musical talent is usually why you buy the record /CD / download, etc....the recording engineer is usually the reason you listen to it over and over and over for the experience / feeling it gives you. Make sense?
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

OOOOoooooo, I got some!!!!

Post by treitz3 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:15 pm

This thread will not be deleted but this subject has been brought up from time to time, just under different thread titles. What I can do is link those other threads [and vice-versa] to this one when I run across them so that we can cross reference all of the "good stuff" that is posted. How about that? :D

I have some more that I have recently found that has dynamics through the roof. Makes you want to cry in some instances. Just plain ol' goose bumps are a thing of the past with some that I have recently been exposed too. In the meantime, carry on.

Also, if anybody knows of another website [or this one] that has a good thread for this subject, it won't hurt one damned bit to go ahead and link it here.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Re: OOOOoooooo, I got some!!!!

Post by OconeeOrange » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:21 pm

treitz3 wrote:This thread will not be deleted ..
Thanks guy.
Old things are new to new forum guys,

Thanks again -- and again.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Chauss wrote:.
Jazz at the Pawnshop by Arne Domnerus is probably the MOST renowned success of a recording engineer in history for capturing the "live" sound of the event.

To answer your question OO- It is any recording that has the ability to transcend you into another space or the artists on the recording into your space as you listen to the playback. The recording engineer has more to do with the end result than the actual musical talent. The musical talent is usually why you buy the record /CD / download, etc....the recording engineer is usually the reason you listen to it over and over and over for the experience / feeling it gives you. Make sense?
All audiophiles rant about Jazz in the Pawn Shop because all audiophiles do that to fit in. I have it, and WTF?

OO- It is any recording that has the ability to transcend you into another space

For me that is many, many albums.

Chauss
(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Re: OOOOoooooo, I got some!!!!

Post by Chauss » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:29 pm

treitz3 wrote:This thread will not be deleted but this subject has been brought up from time to time, just under different thread titles. What I can do is link those other threads [and vice-versa] to this one when I run across them so that we can cross reference all of the "good stuff" that is posted. How about that? :D

I have some more that I have recently found that has dynamics through the roof. Makes you want to cry in some instances. Just plain ol' goose bumps are a thing of the past with some that I have recently been exposed too. In the meantime, carry on.

Also, if anybody knows of another website [or this one] that has a good thread for this subject, it won't hurt one damned bit to go ahead and link it here.
Thanks T3- please link the threads or merge them if you can. It would be nice to have a list that is easy to access. I am ALWAYS looking for good recordings that "give ya goosebumps" when listened to as I am certain others are as well!

OO- piano is one of THE hardest instruments to make sound LIVE on a recording because of all the transients that seem to go on forever....so if it does then YES!
All audiophiles rant about Jazz in the Pawn Shop because all audiophiles do that to fit in. I have it, and WTF? <--------You need to plan a trip to GA and listen to it on my rig bro! :D

treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"

Here's one....it's a long one.....

Post by treitz3 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:18 pm

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2078&p=9582

This is a dinosaur of a thread but it has a lot of great recordings listed. Here's another one from the Polk forum if you are interested....

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120609
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"

Post by OconeeOrange » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:22 pm

For tuning in a sub, Phil Collins is good.

PDR
TFM-45

Post by PDR » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:37 pm

The quality on this mans albums is outstanding....one of my favs

http://www.ericbibb.com/

stereo_buff
TFM-55

Post by stereo_buff » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Chauss wrote:I thought it would be cool to have a post for others to come to and find recordings that may show off the capabilities of their system. If this has already been done here before- I apologize and you can delete this thread.

Please list your favorite "audiophile" quality recordings including album title, artist, recording label and format.
I will start-
Cafe Blue- Patricia Barber, Blue Note Records - CD
Great idea!

You should hear Café Blue on a 24k Gold HDCD from Premonition!!

Let me add one: Holly Cole Trio, "Don't Smoke in Bed," EMI Manhattan. Carly Simon, "No Secrets," and Joe Walsh, "The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get," both on Audio Fidelity 24k Gold HDCD, mastered by Kevin Gray.

Return to “Tunes / Music”