Joe Bonamassa concert review 11-24-2014

Talk about different types of music
jldeni

Joe Bonamassa concert review 11-24-2014

Post by jldeni » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:10 am

So, I went to see Joe B in concert @ the Rochester Auditorium Theater on Monday this week and wanted to say that I would recommend this show.

The venue and sound were perfect for this type of music - good sound quality and the right size to feel like it is somewhat intimate, but large enough to hold around two thousand people. Our seats were perfect - front of the Loge, or first balcony.

Rochester is a bit like Bonamssa's old back yard since he grew up a couple hundred miles from here and he made many references to a couple places in the area where he often played when starting out 25 years ago. He is very personable on stage and makes the crowd feel like he is still a local. He even pointed out that his mom and dad were there in the front row.

So, the music. It was like two entirely different shows, one acoustic and one rock, with two different bands backing up Bonamassa. First, the acoustic - I can only say that, to me, it was spectacular. Joe sat in the middle of his arsenal of 7 or 8 acoustic guitars and would change instruments with each song. He is a very talented and accomplished guitarist and played a wide range of styles from blue grass to country to soft rock - even extending to Celtic and Caribbean beats backed up by a notable Latin percussionist, Lenny Castro, whose skills really made the acoustic set unique. They did the fav's that I wanted to hear - Slow Train, Dust Bowl, The Ballad of John Henry - and a lot of other tunes involving the use of banjo and mandolins. I love this stuff and can't say enough good about the first part of the show.

The rock set started out great with the second band including drummer Tal Bergman - who I know I've heard with other major groups as well as Castro, keyboardist Derrick Sherinian and bassist Carmine Rojas who all have a long resume playing with various well known groups through the years.

I really enjoyed about the first 20 minutes of the rock set and I liked the texture variation of the music being presented - from very (too) loud rocking to extremely quiet passages where Joe even motioned with his hand for the audience to be very quiet be able to hear what he was playing. Then, of course it would build up again to a too loud (maybe for this venue) crescendo. Interesting and enjoyable - yes. But only the first time. The sequence seemed to repeat in the second 20 minute segment and then again a third time in the last 20 minutes of the regular show time.

The encore set of two songs was enjoyable - but not rocking tunes that would get the audience up on their feet (which I expected and my wife was waiting for.) She loves to get up and dance during the show but does not want to block anyone else's view. So, if the crowd is not on their feet, no dancing.

All in all - I would highly recommend going to see this show - Joe and the band - if just for the fantastic acoustic set. And - I have to qualify - my review of the rock set is all me - and you may not agree. So, let me know.

Pics that my buddy took from our seats:
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/recei ... Ri0cMmTHXg

They really were awesome seats.

radioeng2
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Re: Joe Bonamassa concert review 11-24-2014

Post by radioeng2 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:30 am

The live music is always FUN even if the sonics aren't all you could wish for. Brings new life sometimes to the music, when later, you go back and listen to what you've already had. Kind of a new perspective on it. Or maybe the mind is partly hearing it live again.

Thanks for the write up.

Mark
I was there "At the Fest!" Hope you were too!

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:52 am

jldeni wrote:So, I went to see Joe B in concert @ the Rochester Auditorium Theater on Monday this week and wanted to say that I would recommend this show.

The venue and sound were perfect for this type of music - good sound quality and the right size to feel like it is somewhat intimate, but large enough to hold around two thousand people. Our seats were perfect - front of the Loge, or first balcony.

Rochester is a bit like Bonamssa's old back yard since he grew up a couple hundred miles from here and he made many references to a couple places in the area where he often played when starting out 25 years ago. He is very personable on stage and makes the crowd feel like he is still a local. He even pointed out that his mom and dad were there in the front row.

So, the music. It was like two entirely different shows, one acoustic and one rock, with two different bands backing up Bonamassa. First, the acoustic - I can only say that, to me, it was spectacular. Joe sat in the middle of his arsenal of 7 or 8 acoustic guitars and would change instruments with each song. He is a very talented and accomplished guitarist and played a wide range of styles from blue grass to country to soft rock - even extending to Celtic and Caribbean beats backed up by a notable Latin percussionist, Lenny Castro, whose skills really made the acoustic set unique. They did the fav's that I wanted to hear - Slow Train, Dust Bowl, The Ballad of John Henry - and a lot of other tunes involving the use of banjo and mandolins. I love this stuff and can't say enough good about the first part of the show.

The rock set started out great with the second band including drummer Tal Bergman - who I know I've heard with other major groups as well as Castro, keyboardist Derrick Sherinian and bassist Carmine Rojas who all have a long resume playing with various well known groups through the years.

I really enjoyed about the first 20 minutes of the rock set and I liked the texture variation of the music being presented - from very (too) loud rocking to extremely quiet passages where Joe even motioned with his hand for the audience to be very quiet be able to hear what he was playing. Then, of course it would build up again to a too loud (maybe for this venue) crescendo. Interesting and enjoyable - yes. But only the first time. The sequence seemed to repeat in the second 20 minute segment and then again a third time in the last 20 minutes of the regular show time.

The encore set of two songs was enjoyable - but not rocking tunes that would get the audience up on their feet (which I expected and my wife was waiting for.) She loves to get up and dance during the show but does not want to block anyone else's view. So, if the crowd is not on their feet, no dancing.

All in all - I would highly recommend going to see this show - Joe and the band - if just for the fantastic acoustic set. And - I have to qualify - my review of the rock set is all me - and you may not agree. So, let me know.

Pics that my buddy took from our seats:
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/recei ... Ri0cMmTHXg

They really were awesome seats.

Terri and I look forward to seeing Joe for the first time in Jacksonville in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the review.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

jldeni

Post by jldeni » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:51 pm

Enjoy the music, Don. I'll be interested to know what you think.

Jim

Don
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by Don » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:53 pm

Great 2 set DVD
Attachments
JB.jpg
JB.jpg (26.6 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP BILL D. RIP WRABBIT

Return to “Tunes / Music”