FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:07 am

Custom amp created by Bob Carver (AND I SHIT ON IT)

<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Re: Custom amp created by Bob Carver

If I read correctly somewhere, Bob has in the past, paid astronomical amounts for those paint jobs on his amps. I can't remember what the figures were but, they seemed awfully steep,probably too steep for the budget on this "conglomeration". :-"
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Let's do the math on Carver tube amps:

305 watt Black Beauties: $13,000 = $43 per watt

180 watt Cherry Amps $7,500 = $42 per watt

100 watt personalized, custom install / configuration $3,165 (shipped) = $31.65 per watt

At the base rate of $42 a watt, you would of paid $4200 for a "generic" production line, 100 watt tube amp... I'm sure the "Bob Father" put A LOT of extra time and loving care making yours work inside a foreign chassis, probably way more then a typical amp build, not to mention lugging around a heavy ass chassis like that with a bad back, no wonder he's pissed off!! ](*,) ](*,)
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

d0n

"Will Suck U 4 Amp"
"Will Suck U 4 Amp"

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:56 pm

Although it is hideous and looks like helen keller herself painted it with a dirty old mop, it does sound angelic. *5*

All you caver-ites are making excuses for Bobs (or whoever actually built this amp) lack of quality control... How about putting your money where your mouth is?

I'll sell you this angelic sounding (but horrible looking) carver (or lab assistant?) creation for the mere cost of $40 a watt.

That's a great deal right? Stop spouting off about how lucky I am and get out your wallets. \:D/

It would be better if your name is Don. Than you don't have to get the transformer covers resigned after you un-helen-keller (un-bob-carver) them.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:10 pm

d0n wrote:It would be better if your name is Don. Than you don't have to get the transformer covers resigned after you un-helen-keller (un-bob-carver) them.

[-X :rolleyes: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

d0n

"Will Suck U 4 Amp"
"Will Suck U 4 Amp"

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Don! Wanna buy an amp?! This is your lucky day! LOL! =P~
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Nah, Paint job on the inside turns me off! :lol: :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist. #-o
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:08 pm

As much as I'd love to have a 100x2 Bob Carver tube amp (perfect for my Klipsch Chorus II's,) you opted to have it stuffed inside a horrific looking and I'm guessing nearly 100lb chassis. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Besides, the amp is now "used" and no longer worth full retail price. [-X #-o [-X Would you consider $1200 shipped to Snohomish WA? :-k :-k
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:13 pm

jjptkd wrote:As much as I'd love to have a 100x2 Bob Carver tube amp (perfect for my Klipsch Chorus II's,) you opted to have it stuffed inside a horrific looking and I'm guessing nearly 100lb chassis. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Besides, the amp is now "used" and no longer worth full retail price. [-X #-o [-X Would you consider $1200 shipped to Snohomish WA? :-k :-k

^^That is certainly gonna' leave a mark !^^ :shock: But, pretty much my sentiments too. It's a fugly abomination and if it were mine, I'd liberate the amp inside, then I'd either give the carcass to another owner of that brand/model of amp for parts, or.....utilize it as a kitty casket ! It already has a funereal aura about it . ( I've got both Binks and DeVillbiss, too !) :lol:
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 pm

I paid Bob $2795 + the $370 in shipping from Wa. to NY. It is the largest investment I have ever made in the effort to enjoy my audio hobby.

That's actually a very good price for a 100wpc tube amp. That said, there's NO excuse for that paint job and you every right to be pissed, I would be. Just spraying them with a $5.00 can of Krylon would look a helluva lot better than that crap.

you opted to have it stuffed inside a horrific looking and I'm guessing nearly 100lb chassis.

Funny, I think the class A SS amp chassis says, Bad Ass Mofo!!!
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:02 pm

ok, all have spoken. and it really was a bargian and favor that bob did. he does try to save a buck when he can, and passed on a paint job that he figured no one would look at. that said, take those transformer covers off and sand them with some 300 grit or so, the prime and repaint with rattle can or get a pro. total cost is gonna be what another hundred or two if a pro does it and a 20 dollar bill with your time. either way, one of a kind amplifier, that was blessed by the bob father himself. as i said on the other forum, you now have another experience to add to the way you conduct yourself in a business deal. i don't leave any stones unturned myself if possible. jj said it right though in that he did a lot of custom work for very little compared to a normal run amp. your issue with bob is understandable, yet your solution for a paint job will not be with him i say. very cool amp by the way.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:34 pm

Did you ask Bob to build you an amplifier or paint it? 'Cause he is one of the GREAT amp builders of the last century but he ain't Chip Foose:-)

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

cring08

TFM-35

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:45 pm

angelod307 wrote:ok, all have spoken. and it really was a bargian and favor that bob did. he does try to save a buck when he can, and passed on a paint job that he figured no one would look at. that said, take those transformer covers off and sand them with some 300 grit or so, the prime and repaint with rattle can or get a pro. total cost is gonna be what another hundred or two if a pro does it and a 20 dollar bill with your time. either way, one of a kind amplifier, that was blessed by the bob father himself. as i said on the other forum, you now have another experience to add to the way you conduct yourself in a business deal. i don't leave any stones unturned myself if possible. jj said it right though in that he did a lot of custom work for very little compared to a normal run amp. your issue with bob is understandable, yet your solution for a paint job will not be with him i say. very cool amp by the way.

=D> =D>

Hell, mail the covers to Cincinnati, and I will have our paint shop do it, or one of my steel vendors powdercoat it for free.

(Disclaimer:owner must pay shipping and handling)

-Chris
Chris

Living Room/main System:
Sunfire TGP IV
Sunfire 300x2
Carver Amazing Silvers
Apple tv
Carver SD 390t
Technics SL 1950 Turntable

Basement/system 2:
Carver MXR-130
Teac reel to reel
Musical Fidelity X-10D tube buffer
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
Nikko eq2
Cerwin Vega HED's
Klipsch SW15
Infinity RS10's
Pioneer 100 disk changer

Garage system:
Pioneer VSX something?
Polk Audio 2500
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:25 pm

cring08 wrote:
=D> =D>

Hell, mail the covers to Cincinnati, and I will have our paint shop do it, or one of my steel vendors powdercoat it for free.

(Disclaimer:owner must pay shipping and handling)

-Chris

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

d0n

"Will Suck U 4 Amp"
"Will Suck U 4 Amp"

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks for all your offers to help. I know with enough effort I can probably remove the amp from the genesis chassis and then remove transformer covers. I know I could paint them myself for the cost of a can of spray paint.

What most of you guys fail to understand is that I didn't think I'd have to do any of that when I contracted with Bob to build this amp.

In my wildest nightmares I never would have expected Bob Carver to spend over a year building me a $2800 amp and then have it arrive looking like this. I didn't think I had to say... "Hey Bob, please make sure you paint the transformer covers so they don't look like sh*t. I'm going to probably show this amp to people in the future and I don't want them to wonder WTF I'm so proud of".

The builder also wired the inputs on the carver amp to the output RCA jacks on the back of the Genesis chassis. It would have been so simple to solder the input wires to the carver to the input jacks on the genesis. But no, the builder just randomly picked a pair of RCA jacks on the genesis back panel and started soldering. Another "WTF were they thinking" moment. I know it doesn't REALLY matter if the RCA jacks are marked input or output... but that carelessness along with the crazy transformer finishes... just shows the builder wasn't putting much effort or care into the build.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:09 am

You just don't seem to grasp that you're unlikely to gain much traction in badmouthing Bob Carver on the websites that are devoted to the very person you seek to vilify. :rolleyes:
PreviousNext

Return to Fight Club