FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:59 am

Vintage Hi Fi and my little CF amp

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:20 am

Re: Vintage Hi Fi and my little CF amp

Magnaryder wrote:I wonder what Fortes sound like with a couple of Lightstar watts behind 'em? No bass my ass :-0

A word of caution: Those 12" woofers are only rated 100 watts RMS. The problem is they sound so good and distortion free no matter how loud you play them until POP! :-({|= That's one of the main reasons I originally stepped up to the Chorus II's, they have a 1000 watt peak commercial grade 15. :-"
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch KP 250 II (2 Pairs)
Klipsch RSW 15
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:42 am

...just put a fuse on them!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:48 pm

Found an original brochure today featuring the Klipshorn, Chorus II, Forte II and the Quartet, all excellent speakers in my opinion.
Attachments
DSCN8009.JPG
DSCN8010.JPG
DSCN8007.JPG
DSCN8006.JPG
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:27 pm

jjptkd wrote:
Magnaryder wrote:I wonder what Fortes sound like with a couple of Lightstar watts behind 'em? No bass my ass :-0

A word of caution: Those 12" woofers are only rated 100 watts RMS. The problem is they sound so good and distortion free no matter how loud you play them until POP! :-({|= That's one of the main reasons I originally stepped up to the Chorus II's, they have a 1000 watt peak commercial grade 15. :-"

jjpktd....thanks. I don't need to play them so loud I'd destroy them.-- I get all the volume I need from my CF amplifiers...gotta love those little buggers.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:37 pm

I just wanted to throw caution into the wind because the very first pair I ever purchased years ago I got cheap because one had a blown woofer. Since then, I've got a friend who has blown 2 pairs of woofers on his Forte II's (over the course of a few years) with his Carver TFM-45 and has finally fused them at the request of the speaker repair guy who was starting to recognize him as a "regular" customer. ](*,) ](*,) Another friend of mine has the Forte I and blew one woofer right away and a few months later blew the other one. :? :?
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Tonight Sherry and I sat down and gave a listen to some vintage vinyl on an old Technics SL-B92 TT. I had a problem earlier in the week with one of my CF amps being terribly microphonic. I found that all of my RCAs had worked their way loose. Tightened them up...no more problems. Cool. Let's do some listening.

We dug through a pile of LPs she bought me for my birthday several years ago. I found a copy of Neil Young and Crazy Horse's 'Rust Never Sleeps', Van Halen's '5150' and 'Balance', Pink Floyd's 'Final Cut' and the Eagle's first album, Journey's 'Departure' and 'Raised on Radio' and a nice copy of Elton's 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'.

Several things became readily apparent, QC in the last days of analogue was worse than poor. As Radio Engineer 2(Mark) was expounding upon at CF12, not all recordings are created equal. Whereas the Eagles had great imaging and soundfield, this record was recorded very well. Raised on Radio was flat and compressed. The Van Halen was actually pretty good...much better than I expected. Rust Never Sleeps was pretty typical fair from 'live' albums of the day. I rediscovered my copy of Grand Funk Railroad's 'Phoenix' and 'On Time' and fondly remembered why these guys were my favorite band growing up.

I have something called a 'Direct Metal Master' of the Crue's 'Girls, Girls, Girls. This is a really good record...even if you don't like Motley Crue. The soundstage is broad and deep and the imaging is very good. Not what you expect from Heavy Metal. Vince isn't surrounded with that usual halo, he's in your face. Tommy's kit is really well recorded, you can feel the kick drums in your chest and this is probably the best rock recording of snare hits I've heard in a while.On 'Wildside' Nikki Sixx is plainly off to Vince's right and Mick Mars. Tommy's drumming is back a ways behind Vince, and that drum kit sounds huge.

I wonder what this rig will sound like with a decent TT?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:23 pm

Ray - It's about time you got a system that you could actually HEAR THE DIFFERENCE!!! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Chauss wrote:Ray - It's about time you got a system that you could actually HEAR THE DIFFERENCE!!! :D

Chauss, it's not my rig I can't hear. I can't get my ears to work.

ray
Magnaryder

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Just razzin ya Ray! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:54 pm

I dig it Chauss, too many loud stereos, cars and wives. Can't hear anything anymore. I just turn it up \:D/

ray
Magnaryder

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:22 am

Just picked up a near mint pair of Forte II's last night, I always forget how small they are, guess I'm just use to lugging around those Chorus II's. My Chorus II's are as heavily modded as they get with new crossovers, mid, tweets etc and I was surprised at how close the Forte II sound in their place. :?
Attachments
DSCN8077.JPG
DSCN8079.JPG
DSCN8080.JPG
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:08 pm

Damn, they sound good don't they. Tom made me one hell of a deal. I couldn't be happier. Vosh wants a system to go with her Dahlquist DQ-8s. Guess a trip to Pittsburgh is in order....whooofreekinhooo!!!! I'm planning on installing Al Klappenbergers' crossovers in my Fortes, but I think I'll leave the drivers alone. Bob Crites' replacement drivers are titanium and I think the speakers might become harsh sounding. The folks on the Klipsch forum say no....but I'm out to make my ears happy, so until I 'hear' differently I'll stay with the phenolic diaphragms even though the tweet tends to roll off early. I wish I could find somewhere to listen to both examples to A/B the differences. The Klipsch folk get together in Indianapolis so Ii might have to make the trek over there, since I'm a convert and all. :D

Right now I'm listening to a pristine copy of Van Halen's 5150. Damn there is a huge difference between a clean low mileage record and one that isn't, even on a POS TT. I'm having a great time listening to all of these old LPs. I need a good TT!! I heard Brian Ts at CF12. I wonder if a REALLY good cartridge will make good sound on a middle of the road($1000 range) TT? Mod the tonearm with silver cables, get a good base to set it on. What do you think? Input anyone?

ray
Magnaryder

<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Magnaryder wrote:Right now I'm listening to a pristine copy of Van Halen's 5150. Damn there is a huge difference between a clean low mileage record and one that isn't, even on a POS TT. I'm having a great time listening to all of these old LPs. I need a good TT!! I heard Brian Ts at CF12. I wonder if a REALLY good cartridge will make good sound on a middle of the road($1000 range) TT? Mod the tonearm with silver cables, get a good base to set it on. What do you think? Input anyone?
ray

Ray

The rule of thumb is 1/3 turntable 1/3 Arm 1/3 Cartridge. Thats the way I originally went $2600.00 Turntable and Arm and $1700.00 for a Shelter 901 Cartridge
all sounded real fine.
I was taking to a buddy of mine about the 1/3 rule, and he said fuck that put the best Cartridge on you can afford and you will hear a difference.
he has a 4000.00 Turntable/Arm combo and runs a Benz LP $5000.00 Cartridge on it.
So I had a chance to pick up a Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge $3200.00 for a good price, YES the Cartridge does make the difference.
So I would look at spending as much on the Cartridge (if not a little more) as the Turntable/Arm combo cost.

I ended up putting the Shelter 901 on on a $500.00 Technics SL-1200 mk5, and yes the over all sound was way better than using the SL-1200 with
a Denon 103R

I would not put a better Cartridge on the Turntable you have, look for a used Technics SL-1200 or purchase the new copy of it Stanton ST150
and change the Cartridge and feet.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stanton-ST-150-S ... 682wt_1398

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks Brian I appreciate your input. I'd heard of the TT 1/3 rule before but thanks for reminding me about it. Good suggestion about the TT cart combo, I wasn't going to put an expensive cart on my cheapo TT, just wondering which moderately priced TT might be a best buy.

ray
Magnaryder

<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 pm

I've been reading up on my newish speaker acquisition and stumbled across this over on the Klipsch forum. Mr. Hirsch had some really good things to say about them. One area of particular interest was the Forte's extremely LOW(measured) distortion in the lower registers. I was surprised to see a speaker distortion spec as low as a good amplifier, IIRC that's pretty much unheard of.

for those so inclined there are more details here :
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storag ... SR86p2.jpg
or
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/6203 ... spx#606908

Lately, l've been researching Klipsch speakers and the proven mods and their outcomes when properly implemented. I sought out several forum members who have modded their speakers and listened to their guidance. Like all things on the web there are people out there who have no business touching their gear(sounds like my motorcycle lists) and can't figure out how bad things happened to them and their stuff. Right now I'm waiting for x-over parts I've bought from Parts Connexion to arrive. These guys were really fast before Christmas, I can't figure out WTF is going on now. Probably just me jonesing to mod something:-) Could be worse, EDCOR has me waiting 6-8 weeks for my preamp transformer....can you imagine??? Don't get me started on Digi-Key(I hear they're called the home of the backorder). I'm going to mod the factory x-over with some really nice Obbligato Gold Series caps and Mills resistors. I really wanted to use Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps, but damn that's alot of $$ to spend without really knowing if I'll be able to hear the difference. Now I know there will be a difference but it's whether I'll be able to hear it. What I have been hearing is really good and I'm hoping these simple mods will made the soundscape more involving. What I hear about the Mundorf is the big$$ SGO caps make the image really deep. Like bowling alley deep!!

The Julian Hirsch article did dwell on a few things Al Klappenberger discovered during his testing of the Forte speaker and the ALK 'balancing network' addresses those issues, including the impedance peaks. The Forte's drivers are very good, the ALK network 'just'(insert a shitload of math here) lets them show an easier load for the amplifier to manage. Shouldn't the speaker perform better if it's working properly?

I really like these speakers driven with my little 20s. Anyone re-cap their CF amps? What power tubes do y'all prefer? Anyone rolling the 6AX7s?

ray
Magnaryder

PreviousNext

Return to Carver Tubes