FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:17 am

Carver "Silver Four" Monoblock project

<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:58 pm

Re: Carver "Silver Four" Monoblock project

BillD wrote:Weren't the Silver 7s wired with silver wire, and soldered with silver solder?

Mine will be done with silver wire/solder as well. The wire and tube sockets are already on the way! :D
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:34 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:
BillD wrote:Weren't the Silver 7s wired with silver wire, and soldered with silver solder?

Mine will be done with silver wire/solder as well. The wire and tube sockets are already on the way! :D

did i mention you SUCK?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:20 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
nooshinjohn wrote:

did i mention you SUCK?

:lol: Yes I think we did mention that he SUCKS, but it doesn't hurt to say it again. What he said; You Suck X2. :D
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Bevis and Butthead strike again! :-" :-" :-" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I may suck, but I am the one with Carver amps that really ROCK, because they really are ROCK!
Besides that.... I don't swallow like you guys do! :lol: :D :-& :-& :D :lol:
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:33 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:Bevis and Butthead strike again! :-" :-" :-" :lol: :lol: :lol:

I may suck, but I am the one with Carver amps that really ROCK, because they really are ROCK!

Ouch! That's it, looks like we will have to get Dumb and Dumber involved now, then you will SUCK X4 :lol:
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Jag_97470 wrote:
nooshinjohn wrote:Bevis and Butthead strike again! :-" :-" :-" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ouch! That's it, looks like we will have to get Dumb and Dumber involved now, then you will SUCK X4 :lol:

Just leave Jesse/James out of this!....

Hehe...he...heheheh

He said Jesse James! :D :lol: :lol:
<<

peck555

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Congratulations on the project John, I'm sure it will turn out beautifully. =D>
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:45 pm

Well, I averted the first disaster. The specs for the tube sockets were off by 1/8th of an inch. Thank god they have not been cut yet and we are still in the template stage. #-o #-o #-o The second disaster may prove to be more challenging to overcome... I brought home a sample of the material and was forced to promise my wife that she could have countertops that matched! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :D
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:09 pm

Granite, no doubt. We have Corain®, but my wife wants granite. But there's so much Corian in here, including the sink, that it will cost a fortune. I really like some of the engineered stone (quartz).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:43 pm

BillD wrote:Granite, no doubt. We have Corain®, but my wife wants granite. But there's so much Corian in here, including the sink, that it will cost a fortune. I really like some of the engineered stone (quartz).

I convinced her it's better to wait for the new house. :D

One thing that has also come up is the weight issue and the fact that I do not think the bottom plate will be strong enough to support an amp that will weigh in at somewhere north of 80 pounds. I have begun designing a pair of amp stands that will be better able to support them.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:24 pm

The granite faceplates were cut today and have been sent to the etcher. The decks are going to be cut in the morning, and I will be there to watch. The Carver Statement 400~1 Vacuum Tube Reference Monoblock is one step closer to reality!
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Finally some success on the granite front. The tube decks and front panel have been cut and I have some pictures I will try posting tonight. They went through 7 pieces of stone plus countless templates in both steel and aluminum to get them right. They are still being etched with the Carver name and being polished and bonded, but they still look freaking amazing!

Bob will be proud! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:09 am

Why granite? It chips and cracks way too easily, especially with all the heat those tubes will put out.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:39 am

F1nut wrote:Why granite? It chips and cracks way too easily, especially with all the heat those tubes will put out.

I have never seen an amp done with the material, and I wanted to give it a try. The granite is of sufficient thickness that it should not be stressed by heat and the amps will not be exposed to an environment that will expose them to damage. I am not going to ship them with the granite in place, so the risks are minimal. The main reason is that if Bob was kind enough to let me use his name on them, I wanted to do something that is more than worthy of it. The name CARVER should only go on something truly special.
<<

jerryj12

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Where are those pictures?
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Tubes