It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:16 am

Tube rolling the Baby Black Beauty or CF amps

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:52 am

Re: Tube rolling the Baby Black Beauty or CF amps

Brian,
No I have not- I am relying on Ei reputation for building quality tubes.

"EI EL84 / 6BQ5 Elektronska Industrija / Yugoslavia
EI / NOS EL-84 made in Serbia / Nis (former Yugoslavia)

This tube has been sold by Siemens, Amperex and Philips as their EL84 for many years till the 1990s.
Due to its slim envelope (d=20.5mm) this is the only EL84 fitting in the older Marshall DSL401 and VOX AC15 TBX amplifiers.

The EI EL-84 produce great clean tone with a tremendous midrange clarity, and sweet top end.
Try these in your audio amplifier to open up for details.

matching in pairs and quartets available!

supply limited to stock - when they are gone then they are gone .."

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_Other_brands_OEM_Tubes_Powertubes_Pentodes/EI_EL84_6BQ5_Elektronska_Industrija_Yugoslavia_569
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:01 pm

Yep,,the EI tubes are not gettin any easier to find,,well built,,I suppose for the price of a nos quad of about 160.00 ,,that is a steal,,stock up on em fellas,,,a year from now they will be even more scarce
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:16 pm

Ok I'm back. I'm still running the Siemens EL84L's (and I won't be taking them out!!!) but I changed the Siemens 12AX7's and replaced them with GE 5751 triple mica black plates. The GE is one of my favorite tubes and they really shined in the CF amps with the EL84L's. When using the EH power tubes I preferred the Siemens 12AX7's over all others, now the GE's sound better. It's kind of tough to describe but the GE's just sound more musical. Vocals are not as forward as with the Siemens and the bass no as pronounced but still good. It seems like the bass was either forward or maybe too much. The soundstage seemed about the same size extending past the speakers but seemed to have more air and ambience. I'm really enjoying this. When I used the 5751's in the phonostage of my preamp they work well with everything except classical. In the CF amp they are excellent with classical. I spent hours listening to this tube combo and I was really amazed. I'll try the Sylvania 5751 triple mica black plates next. I'm loving this!!! I think my Lightstar might serve me with grievance papers!!! :D :lol: :lol: :lol: Here is another picture I took last night of my CF amp with the EL84L's and 5751's in place.
IMG_3607smaller.jpg
Attachments
IMG_3607.JPG
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:08 am

Yo Dawg!
Straighten them tubes up..... 2nd EL from the left looks like the leaning tower of pizza dude!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If they are nice and straight ....they pay attention to detail better- :rolleyes:

enjoy!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:44 am

Hey Snoop I found the same thing with the GE 5751's. I bought some way back on your recommendation and they sounded good in to phono stage but just seemed to be missing something. But they do wonders in the BB specially mixed with the Siemens EL's. Now try this combo with the Sylvania 5751's in your phono stage and you can thank me later...LOL
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Vintage Hi-Fi modified Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:57 am

I know ya'll think I'm crazy, but I heard for myself a Genalex Gold Lion absolutely transform a Dynaco mono block amp when substituting for one of the expensive, highly regarded triple plate 5751's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genalex-GOLD-LION-ECC83-B759-12AX7-Matched-Sections-/380310777021?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item588c49ecbd#ht_1313wt_684

Absolute sacrilege to have a new production kick the tail of the NOS beauties, but I heard and became a believer. One at a time we changed the input and the phase splitter to the Gold Lions and wow!

I know what's next...Now I'll be burned at the stake at high noon in the blazing midday sun, with ants crawling up.....

Mark
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:14 am

We are gonna let you help us get our preamps built first and then the stake burning... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously Im willing to try anything....even a...a....a...a new production tube. Wow...that was harder to say than I thought. I wonder my wife would leave me if I actually bought a cheap tube :-k
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:22 am

I have used these in my phono pre,, they are very quiet.Hmm,, suppose I will try them in my cf amp,,,nope,, have not done the mod yet.
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:27 am

radioeng2 wrote:I know ya'll think I'm crazy, but I heard for myself a Genalex Gold Lion absolutely transform a Dynaco mono block amp when substituting for one of the expensive, highly regarded triple plate 5751's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genalex-GOLD-LION-ECC83-B759-12AX7-Matched-Sections-/380310777021?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item588c49ecbd#ht_1313wt_684

Absolute sacrilege to have a new production kick the tail of the NOS beauties, but I heard and became a believer. One at a time we changed the input and the phase splitter to the Gold Lions and wow!

I know what's next...Now I'll be burned at the stake at high noon in the blazing midday sun, with ants crawling up.....

Mark

You're not crazy Mark I've good things about that tube. Remember though the sound can change big time from one piece of gear or system to another. Anybody have some extra firewood? :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:46 am

There is a New BB on e-bay with 5hrs to go opening bid is $950 and no takers! Cant believe how awesome this little amp is and not much interest. It would be a great buy if anyone here wanted one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181454754937?ss ... 1423.l2649
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Still enjoying my CF amp with the Siemens power tubes and the GE 5751 tubes. As Eric said they get better with time. The sound is detailed, liquid with nice imaging and a nice sense of space. This amp amazes me. The bass has no right to sound this good with 20 watts. I'm starting feel like I'm doing something illegal having a little amp that sounds so good. The Sylvania 5751's go in tonight! Stay tuned!!!!
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:30 am

Curious to know your results with the sylvania 5751's. Unfortunately one of mine died....turned the amp on and no left channel. So now the getter flashing is all gone...did the magic vacuum leak out? Im looking for another set, no big deal I got time.

Anyway I bet the sylvania's will sound real nice on those JBL speakers!!! Have fun Snoop!
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:07 pm

MRHP wrote:Curious to know your results with the sylvania 5751's. Unfortunately one of mine died....turned the amp on and no left channel. So now the getter flashing is all gone...did the magic vacuum leak out? Im looking for another set, no big deal I got time.

Anyway I bet the sylvania's will sound real nice on those JBL speakers!!! Have fun Snoop!

Well so far it's kind of what I expected, more extended highs , darker background and a better since of space but not by much. It seems the GE tubes bass , while deep is not as tight and articulate as the Sylvania. The midrange between the Sylvania and the GE is tough to separate.
<<

milsap195

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:11 am

Mrhp,

Could you compare for us the differences between the baby black and the 260. Any body else that has had both the big and small amps please chime in as well. You all have me wanting a little amp now.
Modified Carver VTA 180 with KT-150's, Oppo 105, Emotiva xsp-1, Anthony Gallo Classico 4
Sansui SR838 tt
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:46 am

milsap195 wrote:Mrhp,

Could you compare for us the differences between the baby black and the 260. Any body else that has had both the big and small amps please chime in as well. You all have me wanting a little amp now.

Dollar for dollar the Baby Black is a better bargain, specially in the $1000 range. There is really no question. The difference I see is during low passages the 260's pick up on great inner detail, they almost sound solid state at times probably because of the big power they produce. The 260's also perform magic on some musical passages with sound stage depth and notes coming out of thin air way away from the speakers.

The Baby Blacks however have a nice laid back tubey sound and feel and a nice sound stage to boot....deep and wide. The BB bass is whats most outstanding for such a small amp. At medium volume they will put out as much base as the 260 at the same volume. Only difference is the BB base is a little more loose, deep and tube like. Where the 260's have a more tight accurate base.

Hope this helps.....buy a BB, you wont be disappointed!
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Tubes