The NEW 2012 "ALS" Concept - Design - Production

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:46 am

Re: The NEW 2010 "ALS" Concept - Design - Product

F1nut wrote:
Plenty of bass

You need cabinet volume to go with all those tiny drivers to get plenty of bass. Just saying.

& if you don't have cabinet volume, you'll need SHITLOADS of power~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:10 am

TNRabbit wrote:
F1nut wrote:
Plenty of bass

You need cabinet volume to go with all those tiny drivers to get plenty of bass. Just saying.

& if you don't have cabinet volume, you'll need SHITLOADS of power~

That'd be correct....the CRM-2's laugh at 100 watts!!!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:34 pm

This is so cool. When will the first set be ready for viewing James ? =P~ =P~ =P~
<<

aceinc

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 pm

The thing I find interesting in this design is that you will have 3khz & up radiating directly at you, and everything below 3 khz will be reflective.

Am I missing something?

I have seen some of the Sunfire Cinema series designs that are similar, but haven't heard them. Do they really sound good?

I throw this out, not because I'm an expert, or want to troll. I'm just curious how this whole thing will sound.

When I see this type of design, all that jumps into my mind is Bose Direct Reflecting speakers. Bose doesn't have that impressive a reputation amongst "audiophiles" (whoever they are.)

The surface area of the 4" drivers should make the cone travel requirement minimal. If you end up with a test bed enclosure, you might try to play with an aperiodic design to reduce the power/equalization needs on the low frrequencies.
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:43 pm

Well, if you look at AL-IIIs, you have most of the spectrum radiating at you, but 150Hz down reflective. There are lots of line source systems out there, so many, in fact, that they must sound OK.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:55 pm

As it's Bob's basic design... I will let him explain the acoustics to you.
I'm in charge of the mechanical, cosmetic and fabrication aspects of the project.

Here's Bob...

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 am

aceinc wrote:The thing I find interesting in this design is that you will have 3khz & up radiating directly at you, and everything below 3 khz will be reflective.

Am I missing something?

You need to hear them~

I have seen some of the Sunfire Cinema series designs that are similar, but haven't heard them. Do they really sound good?

See previous post above~ They do an incredible job of imitating the AL-III sound in a tiny package. Not exactly the same, but IMPRESSIVE for any speaker; ASTOUNDING for their size.

I throw this out, not because I'm an expert, or want to troll. I'm just curious how this whole thing will sound.

When I see this type of design, all that jumps into my mind is Bose Direct Reflecting speakers. Bose doesn't have that impressive a reputation amongst "audiophiles" (whoever they are.)

The surface area of the 4" drivers should make the cone travel requirement minimal. If you end up with a test bed enclosure, you might try to play with an aperiodic design to reduce the power/equalization needs on the low frrequencies.

Read back through this thread & listen to the Bob interview. I agree power requirements could be huge but Bob is pretty goddamn smart so I'll hold my disbelief until I hear them~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:56 pm

Toy Maker wrote:As it's Bob's basic design...
I'm in charge of the mechanical, cosmetic and fabrication aspects of the project.

Bob put me in charge of saving, scheming and doing what ever it takes to buy a pair,,, :-k :-k :-k
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:33 pm

Scarabeo wrote:

Bob put me in charge of saving, scheming and doing what ever it takes to buy a pair,,, :-k :-k :-k

I am Accounts Receivable. Send all payments to Me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:16 am

Don wrote:
Scarabeo wrote:

I am Accounts Receivable. Send all payments to Me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I just put ALL 10 penny's together and turned them into a Dime so I can paypal you it as a deposit! Give me a week and I'll double that :lol: :lol: :lol:
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

SteveFord

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:34 pm

When you're ready let me know and I'll give it a plug in the Planar Circle for you. Perhaps you can work up an article on the highlighting the salient points.
Not exactly planars but it does have ribbons.
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:56 pm

If the sound is anything like these at a price we can all afford, it is going to be a home run. =D> These also have a full length ribbon with multiple drivers of the same size. One of he best sounds at the Atlanta show, as I am sure Zoot Horn will attest.

Believe these were in the $70K range. Don't know if that included the dual double stacked subs. Best sound stage I ever heard. Period!

http://www.scaena.com/speakers.html

No affliation. Speaker somewhat similar to Bob's concept.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Thats one of the best attributes of line source....the soundstage is spectacular.
I love mine.......they dazzle the senses.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:30 pm

Just made a follow up call to the supplier... Looks like the drivers should arrive towards the end of May...
There might be a chance we'll have them ready for CarverFest yet !!!!
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

<<

kingman

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:41 pm

THAT WOULD BE SUPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ 8) \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
PreviousNext

Return to Introducing the NEW 2012 "ALS"