FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 am

FINAL ALS Speaker "Base Design" (see page 4)

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: FINAL ALS Speaker "Base Design" (see page 4)

What I heard (with some frequency emphasis issues) sounded HUGE. They had incredibly spacious/transparent sound.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:11 am

Toy Maker wrote:
mbskeam wrote:?????
so how is the speaker sound sounding, any reports?????

I don't know... they're right down the street from you. Go knock on Bob's door, and take a listen.

Well then maybe I should drive my truck over to Bob's 8)

Hey maybe both of us should stand on the quad version to test them.......since we are made for doing things like that :lol:

Attach those to the ceiling with some strong fishing line so you don't have to look at that.

I guess having a pair of these would finally get me to re-do the wall in the livingroom.

My house will be 9 years old on the 23rd and the main interior wall has no insulation in it :?

But then I never heard it making noise when I am home alone vibrating all the glass in the house.

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:29 am

Well I ran into a little snag using AutoCAD for this part. It seems it's just a little too complex to try to use AutoCAD to make this part, and still have any flexability to go back and make changes.
I had been trying to find someone that knows ALLOT about Solidworks for about 6 months, but kept running into a wall when I asked them about complex lofting, and surfacing. It seems not very many people have gone that deep into the program. Squares and circles are easy, but compound curved surfaces are a little more tricky...

So I decided to take the last week and teach myself one of the hardest programs I have ever tried to use. I have to tell you, if you want to drive yourself insane, sit down with a copy of Solidworks, and start practicing ](*,)

The 1st few days I started to feel the need to hurt small children, and cute little helpless animals. After 3-4 days, I was feeling the urge to stab someone... anyone in the neck with a spork. But then on the 5th day.... things went back to normal, and now I only want to hurt myself again, which is good (I think).

So, here is the NEW base completely re-drawn from scratch in Solidworks 2011
It's probably hard to see, but note the 3-degree draft on every surface to allow for the master mold to be pulled from the sand during casting.

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:19 am

Nice work with the design program and the rest.

You sound like me when I am working on one of my projects :lol:

So do you have a metal foundry near you?

Or do you have your own place?

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:58 pm

We have a foundry about an hour north of us. A friend used to own it, and we'd drive up and pour our own castings ourselves.
Unfortunately, he went out of business, but one of his friends that we also know bought it. I doubt we'll be able to go up and do our own pours now,
but the guy remembers us, and is giving us a good deal on our work.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Toy Maker wrote:We have a foundry about an hour north of us. A friend used to own it, and we'd drive up and pour our own castings ourselves.
Unfortunately, he went out of business, but one of his friends that we also know bought it. I doubt we'll be able to go up and do our own pours now,
but the guy remembers us, and is giving us a good deal on our work.

Well you would think they would like to help with your project unless they are just @#$%'s or think they can make money off of your work.

Back in the 80's and early 90's I was a sheet metal worker and we made everything from scratch.

Sheets of copper (I still have lots stashed in my garage) and brass,grey iron,and stainless steel and had a complete machine shop along with this.

We made lots of brass castings back then at a local place and I got to do that when I wasn't doing the copper and stainless cutting and soldering.

As you know if you have the tools and have done casting before it can be easy and I can tell you would have no problem doing this.

Brass was fun and easy back then and forms are part of the fun.

I was working for a company that is over 100 years old that moved to my area from Detroit back in the 80's and then when the owner got in bad health he had his wife and daughter run the company into the ground so they sold it and I guess it is in Oregon now.

(Cadillac Meter-Central Station Steam)

I still have some of my burners and solder/and solder paste and the tools and the oxy-acetylene tanks (no valves-regs,hoses or tips though)

Show us what you pour when you get to that James.
<<

ekog

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Toy Maker wrote:
mbskeam wrote:?????
so how is the speaker sound sounding, any reports?????

I don't know... they're right down the street from you. Go knock on Bob's door, and take a listen.

Here is what i got a couple days ago....

Bob C. wrote:Man! These speakers may just be the best sounding speakers there are. I cannot believe it! I have to pinch myself to see if it's all true. How great they have become is difficult to believe. Very majestic with acoustic space, imaging, and detail that we could only dream of. When Jordon and I fired them off this week, we really and truly exposed ourselves to what dreams are made of.

Holy moly rollers!

Bob Carver

They sound like your not getting them back from Bob :lol:
Main System Setup:
Pre: Carver C2 | Amp: Carver M-500t|Equilizer: Sansui SE99|Speakers: Polk SDA2’s
Source: Tuner: Carver TX-2| Phono: Technics SL-1210 MkII with a Ortofon VMS 20E Mk II| DirecTV DVR | Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc player | Samsung DVD/VHS player

Second System Setup:
Receiver: Yamaha RXV867| Fronts: Klipsch F-30's |Sub: Klipsch SW-112
Source: Radio |Internet/Network | Sony CDP-70 CD player
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:09 pm

Looking forward to hearing the final product at Axpona in Jax. this coming March. Less than two months away. Any of you slackers want to meet up? 8) Terri, Matt and I plan on being there at least Saturday and maybe Sunday. \:D/

http://www.axpona.com/
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Don wrote:Looking forward to hearing the final product at Axpona in Jax. this coming March. Less than two months away. Any of you slackers want to meet up? 8) Terri, Matt and I plan on being there at least Saturday and maybe Sunday. \:D/

http://www.axpona.com/

It's only a couple of hours to Jacksonville,
considering it just to finally get to hear these things dialed in.

Are the master builders going to be there, too?
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:29 pm

I know Toy and Alex are planning on being there last I heard.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:04 pm

i will formally say that i will be there as well, come hell or high waters. it's gonna be cool....

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:14 pm

As far as everything currently planned.. Bob C. Bob F. Alex and Myself will all be there.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Hey James,

If your still fighting Solidworks, give me a hollar. One of my buddies has sat through a several day class on it and might be able to answer user questions.

And beyond that, another guy up here is a long term salesman of Solidworks. Don't know how much of a user he is but if he's not, he should be able to help hook you up with proper people or training.

All I've ever heard from those guys is that Solidworks is the best, but very complicated too! So I know you're not alone is trying to work with it and it's complexity!

Mark
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks Mark... I appreciate the help and offer. But I think I've taught myself everything I really needed to get this part built in the computer.
Now we're in to making the real part.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Carv-it-up

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:59 pm

I Know I haven't posted anything in a while, but I had a question on the price of these new speakers. Mainly so I can find out if I am in some attainable financial range of affording these new speakers or are they in the Woooow I wish I could afford them type range. I have a pair of Bob’s Cherry 180’s connect to a set of old IRS Betas, but their only an 87 in speaker sensitivity. I'm interested in Bob’s new speakers for the 100-150 watt amps I have (I like to bias them really low, hence the lower power range I stated). Anyhow, maybe the question of price has been answered, but I haven’t seen it anywhere. If it's still a secret I'm cool with that too, but can a general price range be thrown out? Is it around the $5,000 range? Around the $15,000 range? Or around the $25,000 range? Again I'm not trying to hold the builder(s) to a specific $$$number$$$, but just to get an idea.
Two Signature Cinema Grand Series II amplifiers (both are used in bi-amping my Infinity IRS Beta speakers)
Cherry 180's (use them off & on to power the mids/highs tower of IRS Beta speakers)
Sunfire Signature 600~Two amplifier (used on Thiel CS5i)
Carver TX-12 tuner
Own & working, but not in use right now - Sunfire Series II amplifier + two Carver M500t MKII amplifiers + Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamplifier preamp w/ phono & remote.
PreviousNext

Return to Introducing the NEW 2012 "ALS"