It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:00 am

ALS DEMO Bob Carver James Sauter Bob Farinelli Les Williams

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: ALS Demo With Bob Carver, Bob Farinelli and Leslie Willi

Just to clarify for everyone....

The ribbons were designed and engineered but Bob in the beginnings of Sunfire for the Cinema Ribbons.
What he did after that was...
Contacted the China MFG. that was making his subwoofers, and had them quote making this new ribbon design.
Bob convinced the MFG to waive the $75-100k SETUP FEES for all the plastic injection molding tooling... in return...
Bob and the MFG agreed to Sunfire having an 18 month exclusive on the ribbons and woofers, to get the Cinema Ribbons to market.
After that 18 month time period, the MFG would be aloud to resell Bobs ribbons to other suppliers and manufacturers.
This is where Dayton comes in... Dayton is nothing but an importer brand name. They do not manufacture anything at all, they are middle men.
So... in the end, Parts Express / Dayton are really selling Bob's ribbons.

I have one that is taken apart, I will bring it with me, and everyone can see how they work.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:02 pm

So James, does that mean that the Dayton ribbons are the same - a 5' ribbon folded up to handle high power ?
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:56 pm

Bob said the same thing to me last year about the oem suppler selling to others after the time constrate was over.
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:00 pm

frankieD wrote:So James, does that mean that the Dayton ribbons are the same - a 5' ribbon folded up to handle high power ?

There is nothing "folded up" inside.
The ribbon "trace" is still very long, but it's also thinner.
I'll try to take a picture of the membrane when I get home tonight.

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Isn't it just 5' of conductor sandwiched in the membrane? I picture it as a closely spaced square wave where the wave goes top to bottom of the membrane with a lot of cycles across the width to equal 60" of trace.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:27 pm

Something like that... You'll see when I post the pic of the membrane.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:29 pm

Just got back from the Powder Coater..... They came out "HOLY FUCK" good !!!! I think I just came a little :shock:

God I'm glad I'm in charge of production \:D/

Well, maybe not exactly "in charge" but being 3500 miles away from the boss, allows me a few creative liberties :-$

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Toy Maker wrote:

X2 S =D> =D> w =D> =D> ee =D> =D> t =D>
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:45 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Just got back from the Powder Coater..... They came out "HOLY FUCK" good !!!! I think I just came a little :shock:

Well, maybe not exactly "in charge" but being 3500 miles away from the boss, allows me a few creative liberties :-$

James.

So am I, well done and thanks for your hard work.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Toy Maker wrote:So... in the end, Parts Express / Dayton are really selling Bob's ribbons.

Yeah, back when all advised me not to put my Carver CRS-3 on the deck due to humidity, I posted that I could get new ribbons there if needed.

My experiment of one has shown humidity not to be a problem on my deck.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:04 pm

TNRabbit wrote:
mbskeam wrote:http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=390387

thanks rabbit.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah...they jumped on with both feet, didn't they!

My balance ain't what it once was, so maybe I should sell my Harley and buy these. =P~

Hell, my hearing ain't what it once was either. What to do, what to do !?!

I read that thread Gary started on Karma. Seems to be a lot of assholes there, maybe I should add to their ranks and leave you guys alone.

It seems that over the run of the thread, a few tried to make Bob look bad over word play, and very few had any actual comments to make on the project. I don't know those guys, but I suspect none can touch the knowledge of Bob Carver. :rolleyes:
I was surprised there was little excitement and mostly just guys trying to seem important by nit picking things they had no clue about. One thing was the metal enclosure. Many top speakers have left the wooden boxes for many reasons I suspect. There is nothing wrong with wooden boxes, but metal, or even plastic has become the way to go to get the best speaker for the money. Maybe in quads or K-horns, it is part of the speaker, but wood is not the way to go with modern speaker science. Some say Bob is copying others, but not true. I look up at Bob's wonderful CRS-3 nailed to the ceiling of my outdoor bird watching platform and, well, you will just have to visit to know what I mean. I guess this is an audio room of sorts, and at a minimum shades my neighbors (or anyone's) outdoor speakers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I am preaching to the choir here. I need to go introduce the clown to those assholes on Karma.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm sure you'd get more use out if the speakers in the end... 8)

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Toy Maker wrote:I'm sure you'd get more use out if the speakers in the end... 8)

I am going out on a limb here as TOY seems to be a little tired and rightfully so. The guy has positive history and yet again has exceeded it all. At the end of the day, none of us can do what he does. I doubt TOY and I could ever be friends, but that is for Carver Fest to decide. On the new stuff, TOY and BOB are the same guy. If TOY will sign my new amps -- *5*

I might like Bob too. He might not like me. :badgrin:
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:43 pm

I always thought the Sunfire and the Daytons were the same planer. I had compared the Sunfires and my Daytons many times
and they look identical, and had the same "sound"....really I dont see what the big deal is.....at 80 bucks theyre not cheap
and if you heard them in person you would not be dissapointed. I have 16 of them.... \:D/ ....in arrays.

I've had these for over 3 yrs now....they also use the Swans .....but 4" stock, not custom made like James and Bobs, they are a fine array and I can only imagine how amazing the new design sounds.....I love my arrays.

My other array also uses the Swans, but in 3"......this array uses the "Fountek" ribbons, if you get a chance to hear them take it,
you will be impressed, but should be at almost twice the price of the Daytons.

I have been touting arrays for a while now, they rock. Its cool that I have a cousin to Bob and James design, makes me smile.

Perry

<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:48 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:It seems that over the run of the thread, a few tried to make Bob look bad over word play, and very few had any actual comments to make on the project. I don't know those guys, but I suspect none can touch the knowledge of Bob Carver. :rolleyes:
I was surprised there was little excitement and mostly just guys trying to seem important by nit picking things they had no clue about.
I guess I am preaching to the choir here.

And Your point Bill. preaching to the choir. :) :) :)
OconeeOrange wrote:I need to go introduce the clown to those assholes on Karma.

Please do not do that, we need you here. =D> =D> =D>
OconeeOrange wrote:I doubt TOY and I could ever be friends, I might like Bob too. He might not like me. :badgrin:

Bill.
Have no fear, James is an ace guy and holds no perdurance, he like every body as you will soon find out, as for Bob no problem
unless you are pissed as a fart, trying to talk to him.
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
PreviousNext

Return to Introducing the NEW 2012 "ALS"